R nse retrofit radio problems

x20pjd

Reaction score
hi, we've just bought a 2009 a3 sport back black edition (with Bose), I decided in my wisdom lol that I wanted the Audi navigation plus (8P0035193G) in place of the Audi concert unit fitted(8P0035186P). Only issue is that the radio on the nav plus is not working. There's so many posts to go through but am I right in thinking that I need to change the aerial set up as detailed in this thread? Just to add I currently have no radio reception at all grrr
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/converting-symphony-ii-antenna-system-use-with-rnse.67896/

Any help much appreciated, thanks, Paul

Last edited:
No reception at all is bad, you should have some reception normally when you retrofit. I've fitted hundreds of RNS-E's into A3/A4/TT's with the concert/symphony systems and I've only done the antenna mod about 3 times were reception has been poor.

It sounds like a faulty RNS-E, you only have to change the antenna system if you want to get rid of the ZF antenna fault and make full use of the RNS-E's diversity system.

But I would remove the RNS-E out of the dash and whilst connected touch the antenna block and see if it has a bad connection. Sometimes the white antenna sockets get damaged in transport and disconnect from the circuit board. It can be repaired if this is the case, but it is tricky.

Ok thanks for the info, am short of time so am going to send it back I think, thanks

Right I sent the unit back and have received another but still no radio reception on any band. I've tried touching the connector block but it made no difference, what am I missing? All I've done is buy an rnse and plug it straight into our 09 a3, do I need something else? Cheers, Paul

No, it should just work as a rule. The only thing I can think of is that you have a faulty antenna connection.

The old car would have 2x HF connectors on the white antenna plug going into 1x HF 1x ZF on the RNS-E, hence you only get one of the antennas working when you swap to an RNS-E.

So if the one going HF to HF is faulty then you will have no signal. I would suggest you swap around the two connectors in the white plug as a test.

Ok thanks Craig il give it a go, cheers

Just had a little fumble in the dark lol and it worked, Bosch, thanks for your help Craig

Sorry to jump in x20pjd but where did you order your RNSE from?