QUIXX Car Scratch repair kit review

batch

Reaction score
Hi lads and ladies,

Just wanted to pop up a quick review of this product, which I bought a few weeks ago after scuffing my bonnet with the end of a pressure washer lance. The scratch was about two inches long, up close was made of multiple fine lines and had left a matt mark on the bonnet - not through to primer but could be felt with a fingernail. Above this was a long, very fine scratch that I knew would easily polish out with some effort - looked like a bird claw mark or branch scratch.

In a long-previous life I did some valeting, way back before the whole detailing thing took off, and I've also got a little bit of bodyshop experience. I knew what I needed to do - flat and polish at least - but it's been years since I've had to do this and my confidence on a new, expensive car was zero! Eventually I found the QUIXX car scratch repair kit on eBay - did a bit of research before buying and there were LOTS of good reviews so I bit the bullet and picked one up, considering it was less than a tenner delivered I thought it was worth a go.

Finally got some time to give the car a good going over today, as follows...
  • Spray wheels using Bilberry wheel cleaner
  • Snowfoam (kinda - crap washer!) then rinse off
  • Re-spray wheels with Bilberry and agitate
  • Handwash with Megs Gold Class shampoo and lambswool mitt
  • Dry using Kent microfibre towels
  • I then hand polished the car using Meg's Cleaner wax to go after most of the swirls, I know it's not the best but I'm using it up before buying something else!
  • After buffing this off, I popped open the Quixx pack and set to work...
There are two small tubes of pastes, one is called "1-POLISH", the second "2-FINISH". You also get some fine gauze pads and strips of 3000 grit W/D paper. As per the instructions, you begin rubbing paste 1 across your scratch for 1-2 minutes, then wipe off with a damp cloth. Alarmingly this will result in the area becoming completely dull - HOWEVER - if you're lucky, your scratch has gone! Mine hadn't, after wiping away it was still there, just smoother!

The next step is to rub the area gently with one of the strips of 3000 for 15 seconds or so - I used Meg's QD to lube it up as opposed to water or soap suds. Once I'd done this, I then reapplied some of the paste and finished with a couple of minutes of the second one, a finishing compound.

I have to say the results were REALLY impressive! The scratch is all but invisible, just a shallow blemish remains. I have no doubt that someone with better expertise, or more patience (I had a whole car to do and could smell the in-laws' BBQ calling me!) could do an even better job. The kit is endorsed by BMW, TUV-approved and as I said, very reasonably-priced.

I then finished the car with a coat of Poorboys Black Hole, then applied Natty's Paste wax, using Auto-Finess trim dressing on all rubbers and my grille BEFORE taking the wax off.

In summary, this kit is WELL worth a go before resorting to a bodyshop or pro scratch removal service. And I'm a muppet when it comes to bodywork!

Apologies for the lack of pics, took a few but on a black car they just didn't show anything!

Reactions: Luke2.0tdi2010 and scotty76
Nice review, thanks for sharing. We like pics, even if it's just of shiny black cars. :)