Quiet tyres for A3 TDI (Vredestein Ultrac Cento?)

c_w

Reaction score
Looking out for some decent tyres that are also known to be quiet. I've noticed on test driving A3s that road noise is unusually high.

I've found the Vredestein Ultrac Cento tyre that is apparently compliant with EU tyre noise laws set to come in in a couple of years. Does anybody run these tyres?

cento.jpg

http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?UsersessionID=36952937&BandgroepID=1&BandtypeID=71

Or does anyone have a tyre they'd recommend for being quiet but still good performance? Thanks.

I have new Michelin Pilots on the front and on rough roads they're quite noisey, on the rear i have new Goodyears (can't remember the pattern) and you can't hear them

I've got Michelin Pilot Sports on as well and they do seem quite noisey and a bit harsh at times. However, not sure if it's just me or not but the tyres seem to be comfier and quiter after they have warmed up quite a bit. Usually travelling at 70mph they are noisey but a bit further on they seem to be less noisey.

Only advantage with Michelin is that they do last 20000 miles plus.

My A3 came with Dunlops - don't know why new A3s come with different makes?

After 14000 there's still a decent bit of tread left but will look out for the quieter ones for sure.

Thanks for the replies. This does seem to follow what I've read elsewhere onthe net; Michelin Pilot type tyres are quite noisy but last a long time. Goodyear F1s are supposed to be quite quiet for their performance though.

The car seems to make such a racket dependent on road surface (Pirelli PZERO ROSSOs), so much more than any car I've been in for some reason (and this was same in another A3 I test drove) that I think I'll try the Vredesteins as they are marketed specifically as a quiet tyre.

the a3 is a very noisy car - ive tried michelin ps2, goodyear f1 and the vredestein and i cant honestly say theres anything in it noise-wise - for grip and performance then the ps2 and f1 are similar, particularly in the wet where as the vredestein werent as good.

I've never really got the "noisey" tyres, grip is the main thing I look for :ninja:

It's never really something I would normally consider in a car I own (BMW M Coupe, 205GTi, Clio 182, Rover 75 etc) all of which I don't notice tyre noise and it's never been a factor but 2 miles down the road in an A3 (a few I test drove) and the road racket is very noticeable on certain road surfaces compared with any other car I've driven. It's like a hollow noise, maybe some sound proof matting on the arches will prevent it??

Try Kenda Kaisers - cheap, quiet and great grip.....

What we need are tarmac tyres and rubber roads.

No - don't buy Kendas they're cheap, nasty, crap
if you want quiet premium budget tyres the Falken 912s for aroind £60 are ideal

Thanks, yep the Falkens were on the shortlist until I found out they were "all-season" tyres which means they'll probably be not so great in summer/dry (well they'll be ok just not as good as what most road users are used to (summer tyres)). Look unbelieveably cheap too!

Was looking at Goodyear F1 Asymmetric (can get these at just £79 each) which I've got on my M Coupe and they're pretty quiet but they are still a "performance" tyre...but I've never really notice tyre noise as a problem on that with various tyres I've had on it so it's difficult to compare to the seemingly road-noisy A3!

Have gone for the Vredesteins, found three comments on a tyre review site saying how quiet they were, and also they are listed on Vredestein as being their "quiet" tyre that meets the 2011 EC regs. Will let you know how I get on!

Last edited:
The Vredesteins look ok so hopefuly they'll be quiet as well.
On my last car (focus ST) i had falken 452s on the front and Falken 912s on the back - the 452s were directional and in just damp conditions they were awful, would lose grip going slowly on roundabouts where the 912s which were asys were great.
everyone raves about 452s, goodyear directionals, etc and although i agree in the dry/ warm weather they are good, in the damp/ wet which we seem to have more of they're not upto the job

Let us know how the Vredesteins are after a couple of hundred miles (afterthey've bedded in)

Yea, the 912s were probably better than the 452s in damp/cold as they'll come into their own sub 8 degrees compared with summer tyres. They might even be useful in light snow being a cross between winter/summer tyres. But yea, mixed tyres are never a good setup but especially mixing summer fronts and all-season rears!!

Struggling to find the Centos in stock anywhere, on back order at Camskill, Elite etc. Although I though I'd ordered the 2 from Elite had in stock yesterday; confirmed twice on the phone that they were Ultrac Centos, and two Sessantas rolled up at the door this morning :tocktock:

I've used vredestein for a while now, I love the grip they give you in the wet. Got my sessenta's for £85 delivered from camskill. http://www.tyremen.co.uk/ have the cento's in stock. Not used the ultrac cento's yet but will do. Here's some reviews http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Cento.htm Everyone seems to be impressed with them on here, one bloke comments on them not being as good with fuel as his worn out conti's, but they won't be as they are new tyres! If you want quiet tyres, I'd personnally give them a go. Vredestien are a very good make, especially in the wet which is handy in the Uk!

Neil

I've found both the Goodyear F1 asymmetrics & Conti sport contact 3 pretty noisy on my S3 with std wheels. The Goodyears seem slightly noisier though.

Not my major priority on the car at all, but I do notice it occasionally...

So far so good with the Vredesteins Centos, noticeable improvement in tyre noise making it more "normal"/refined! Subjectively more comfortable too as I think the sidewalls are slightly softer (the old tyres were Pirelli Pzeros).

Had them on a few days now, and whilst they are definitely an improvement over the Pirelli P Zeros there is still noticeable tyre noise/resonance on rougher tarmac common in the UK. Next step I'm going to take is to look at rear arches/floor and maybe fit some dynamatting/soundproofing. Seems a bizarre thing to have to do in a late 2006 model "premium car" lol The type of noise is similar to that I experience in the newish Fiesta (not the current model but the last boxier one), they're relatively refined but on rough roads tyre noise seems to "echo" in the cabin a bit like driving a van.

Hello i have had these Vredestein Cento I did have Uniroyal rainsport2 fitted on the A4 which were on when i got it and was very happy with them.

I do a lot of millage so i do go through tyres very quickley so i looked around all the reviews and found the Vredestein sessanta but found there were out of stock every were.
I was advised by tyremen that these were as good as any so after a bit of thought i bought them and i am very happy and would use them again for sure very happy.
Vredestein Summer Range | Tyremen

I agree with the guys, who have had Vredesteins on their cars and rate them. I had Sessantas on my last car and found them to be much better in the wet than the OE Conti Contact 2's, not to mention much harder wearing. They also had hard sidewalls, so 'turn in' was very good and they offered extremely good rim protection for my BBS CK's, which is always a good thing. The only thing I've found is that their popularity has lead to the price of them being increased. Last year when I bought a set of 235/19/35's from Camskills, they were only 110.00 a corner inc VAT. :)

Paula x

quiet tyre wise you can't go wrong with Cooper Zeon CS6s