Quick wash of my A3

James.Asbri

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Sunday 23rd May

Woke up this morning with no plans for the day, decided to give the car a quick clean having neglected it for a couple of weeks as I just haven't had the time.

After a quick look over the car it was quite clear I was up against it, the alloys were disgusting and covered in stubborn tar spots whilst the bodywork was covered in layers of dust and muck, whilst the exhaust tips were black.

I then inspected the inside, again I was disgusted by the lack of go in myself to clean the interior, I come across dead grass, mud, stones, long hairs (Don't you just hate women for this), food and dust. Never the less, I got stuck in and give it a good go!

I took a few pictures before and after, tell me what you think. I'm not overly happy with it but its a vast improvement so it'll do for now, I'll keep on top of it now so it'll be easier next time around.

Before

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

My boot stunk of dirty/wet grass following a game of golf in the rain, needed a good hoover as the grass got everywhere from the golf shoes.

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

After

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

Unfortunately this is what is left of the tar spots, thats how bad they were! I tried, AutoSmart Tardis and a clay bar but it wouldn't budge.

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

Any advise on how I could improve it would be of a great help, look forward to seeing your comments.

Looks good to me buddy, I've spent 5 hours trying to get rid of those tar spots and pitting in the corner, Tardis is an excellent product, i've admitted defeat on it, mine need a refurb, but they are 5 yrs old and neglected by the previous owners. perseverence and maybe some aggressive clay? try cleaning with neay bilberry maybe? Hope you get it sorted, looks awesome, what products did you use?

Neil

It looks ok in the photographs I suppose, its a bit streaky when you get up close though. I know, I'm so annoyed with myself for letting them get like that, too late now though I suppose! I will get rid of them eventually, long and painful process I suppose, maybe a bit more elbow grease is required! Suppose the other option is to change the alloys, seems like a good reason to buy some BBS CK's!

All together I used Meguiars Hyper Wash with the foam lance, then Blackfire Gloss Shampoo & conditioner for the wash and then to finish the PB Luxury Drying Towel for the finish. On the wheels I used Wonder Wheels as well as Autosmart Tardis and a clay bar to get rid of some tar spots, didn't really do much though.

I'm sure Some of the professionals will have some advice to help reduce them mate. The blackfire range does look awesome, bit pricey for me mind, but top products.

Impressive results but I have the same alloy probs but the only thing that moved them scratched the alloy as well
I'm sure Some of the professionals will have some advice to help reduce them mate. The blackfire range does look awesome, bit pricey for me mind, but top products.
blackfire rocks for sure

Impressive results but I have the same alloy probs but the only thing that moved them scratched the alloy as well
blackfire rocks for sure

At the minute I've only used the shampoo but I've got the set, the shampoo is certainly excellent!

Wow you were a messy pup!!!

Looks great now, a huge transformation!! Interior is good too! Keep going on the wheels, will shift eventually but the detailing guys will help for sure!

Yep, seems to get seriously dirty compared to my mates! All clean now though like you say so i'll keep on top of it, i'll never let it get that dirty again! I managed to shift quite a lot of it anyway, just shows how bad they really were, i'll keep going but doubt i'll get rid of it all.

Thanks for the comments anyway!

sweet car i love those wheels. i think you should get the rubber mats from audi tho got mine today £55 front and back

Cheers dude, its my pride and joy although I'm saving as hard as I can for an S3! Not a fan of rubber mats myself, each to their own though!

I know it's very acidic, but wonder wheels will get rid of those spots after a couple of coats. Don't leave it on too long and protect after. My wheels were a lot worse than that but came up like new after.

Yeah, it was my last resort but i'll keep using it for now!

That's good to know, helps me keep the faith and get them looking brand new again!

I've regularly used 3M Finesse-It and a MF cloth to safely and quickly remove tar spots like those from my own alloys. Have you tried using a good polish to lift them yourself? A bit of elbow grease should get rid of them.

Wonder Wheels would definitely shift them but like you I'd be wary as it's very acidic. I use diluted Bilberry Wheel Cleaner through a spray bottle for general, weekly wheel cleaning and it works really well.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=48507

Last edited: