Quick s-tronic question for those that have it.

S32B

Reaction score
This is aimed at those who use their car mainly in and around town, not in slow moving (London traffic) but for normal in and around town driving.

Would you get s-tronic again or would you flip to a manual box?

Saw someone post a comment about using the s-tronic around town the other day but can't find it!

Thanks

I would always get it again.

I would. I like the S-tronic gearbox. But it does take a bit of getting used to.
I always use mine in auto, very rarely in manual mode. But I do knock it into S mode sometimes when I want just a bit more response (eg just coming up to a roundabout) it's not so much for performance but to reduce the "lag" when taking off. :racer:

Reactions: Muttley75
I would definitely get it again.

When you go from a basic to performance car in auto then a basic and performance car in manual, you want the manual for control on them long open roads as well as the curvy ones, tall price to pay when most driving is around town and in traffic.

When you get a bad knee you'll know what I mean!

Only thing about s-tronic on a turbo is be prepared to **** the lever back often i.e. roundabouts, overtakes etc, not really a problem :)

Always auto. This is my second DSG/S-Tronic but 9th Auto in total. No other box comes close to the S-Tronic on the mass market. BMW is ok but not dual clutch. I mostly drive in/out and around town. It gives the best mpg of any auto and the ratios for town driving are bang on. No hunting for the correct gear or constantly changing up and down. I can sit at 30 in 5th whilst getting 55mpg. Can't say that about any of my other autos. Plus it is super smooth and instant shifts. I only use the paddles when I'm on A roads and need to blip her down a few to over take. Apart from that it's auto mode everywhere else.

Single best thing about the car, you bet yer *** I'd have it again ;)

Reactions: Muttley75 and FBF01
Not my first S-Tronic and won't be my last, brilliant gearbox for the real world.

Reactions: Muttley75 and Simon L
Had mine just over a week and still unsure ice made the correct choice.

Always had manual just me being old school.

Time will tell.......

OK cheers guys, I'll pass the info on.

Like I say, I saw someone post the other day and I'm sure I recall them saying it had/they had a few problems with it around town!

Had it last 5 Audis and just ordered it for my van.

My S3 is S-tronic, it's the first auto/DSG I've had, first Audi for that matter! Took a bit of getting used to but 6 months into ownership and I can't see me ever going back to a manual, that's how impressed I am with it! That said I don't know if I'll be sticking with Audi when the time comes that I'm looking for a new car and I don't know how other brands fair up in comparison to Audi's S-tronic, nothing wrong with Audi at all in my eyes but I want to change every time from now on as I want to get away from being one for sticking to the same type of cars again and again. My point with changing from the Audi brand next time is I've gone from several same brand cars (VW Gti's, Vauxhall VXR's, Ford ST's, Renault Sport's, BMW M's etc etc etc) and every time they've got better as I've traded in for the updated models but stayed the same if you get my drift. If other brands match the S-tronic I'm laughing. Anyway I digress...... This S-tronic really is good! If you go for one I'm sure you won't regret it, if I ever do get another Audi you can bet you're **** it will be S-tronic!

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L
Never again simples only chose because my son said it has higher GFMV....it's not the end of world thing but no not worth £1700 over err the manual, going into 6th gear at 43 is so wrong and stop start traffic is fine,it's just not how l was learnt to drive l love using the gearbox to slow the car down firstly then use the brakes

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
Never again simples only chose because my son said it has higher GFMV....it's not the end of world thing but no not worth £1700 over err the manual, going into 6th gear at 43 is so wrong and stop start traffic is fine,it's just not how l was learnt to drive l love using the gearbox to slow the car down firstly then use the brakes

Yeah J, I'm not going to lie I do miss slowing the car down with manual gears, just that slight added element of control. On balance though, s-tronic wins for me...............town driving's never been so easy ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Muttley75
Had mine just over a week and still unsure ice made the correct choice.

Always had manual just me being old school.

Time will tell.......
I had DSG on a SEAT Cupra. Owned it for four years and loved it, but pined for a manual so when I sold the Cupra I bought a manual TT. Never again. Sold the TT after a year and bought a new A3 S-Line with S-Tronic. I'll never buy another manual.

Reactions: Blackwhite, 45bvtc and Simon L
Yeah J, I'm not going to lie I do miss slowing the car down with manual gears, just that slight added element of control. On balance though, s-tronic wins for me...............town driving's never been so easy ;)
Why does change into every gear at 1900 rpm that's what gets me,the car begins to labour in 4/5th it's in 5th at 35 mph wtf,l just find it too much hard work,hate autobox always in manual mode and to me that defeats the purpose

Reactions: Rob2k68
Why does change into every gear at 1900 rpm that's what gets me,the car begins to labour in 4/5th it's in 5th at 35 mph wtf,l just find it too much hard work,hate autobox always in manual mode and to me that defeats the purpose

Definitely not for you mate if you're always in manual mode, totally defeats the object!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Do you have the 6-speed? I have the 7-speed and find it's pretty much spot on for me. I have a knackered left foot and a clicky left knee, so even more reasons for me to go S-Tronic. Plus I can get the seat more comfortable as I don't need it in short *** position to be able to reach the clutch when fully depressed.

Do you have the 6-speed? I have the 7-speed and find it's pretty much spot on for me. I have a knackered left foot and a clicky left knee, so even more reasons for me to go S-Tronic. Plus I can get the seat more comfortable as I don't need it in short *** position to be able to reach the clutch when fully depressed.
Yeah 6 S-tronic mate

I only just started to properly drive around it J 20% throttle uphill in 6th boost lights full on but it won't change down so annoying but just started to flick the - paddle so it does what I want then when at the top of the hill hold + for a few seconds to get back in D.

90% of the time it's fine a very smooth lazy drive.

If I was buying again I'd be very tempted to go manual with an exclusive paint job.

Reactions: Jassyo06

Rick's DSG remap will sort that out.
On the remap, it doesn't change up so quickly in D
and in S, it doesn't hang onto lower gears for so long, on light throttle

Plus a whole host of other things, including "proper" manual mode in manual (it won't change up, and will actually hit the rev limiter), increased clutch clamping pressure for Stage 1,2 power, increased RPM for launch control, torque limit increase etc. etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06, FBF01, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Definitely not for you mate if you're always in manual mode, totally defeats the object!
I drive my s-tronic almost entirely in manual mode. It's great just being able to change gear with the flick of a steering wheel paddle rather than having to keep playing with a clutch pedal and gear lever. No more manuals for me.

Reactions: Simon L
Yes I would buy again. It my 1st dual clutch gearbox, 4th auto and before that I owned a number of cars that were all manual.

There are a few minor irritations with the gearbox but they are far overwhelmed by the convenience of not having to pump the clutch pedal and stir the gear level and the general smoothness of the transmission whilst on the move.

I have another, more sporty car with a manual gearbox and I love driving that but for a daily driver when you are likely to encounter stop start traffic I would always spend the extra and get auto.

I drive my s-tronic almost entirely in manual mode. It's great just being able to change gear with the flick of a steering wheel paddle rather than having to keep playing with a clutch pedal and gear lever. No more manuals for me.

Yeah fair point Dave.

I guess it's still a whole lot easier than constantly working a clutch pedal in traffic. I had a blat around earlier this evening after I dropped my daughter to a friend's and stuck it in manual using just the paddles. Makes a nice change tbh.

Early morning work days however when I'm still rubbing the sleep from my eyes it's nice to just leave it in full auto :)

How much difference is there between the new 7 speed and the older 6 speed? My old Scirocco 2.0 petrol had the 6 but my A3 has the 7. Can't really compare as ones a small diesel and the other was a fast petrol. Any one got a direct comparison?

My S3 is S-tronic, it's the first auto/DSG I've had, first Audi for that matter! Took a bit of getting used to but 6 months into ownership and I can't see me ever going back to a manual, that's how impressed I am with it! That said I don't know if I'll be sticking with Audi when the time comes that I'm looking for a new car and I don't know how other brands fair up in comparison to Audi's S-tronic, nothing wrong with Audi at all in my eyes but I want to change every time from now on as I want to get away from being one for sticking to the same type of cars again and again. My point with changing from the Audi brand next time is I've gone from several same brand cars (VW Gti's, Vauxhall VXR's, Ford ST's, Renault Sport's, BMW M's etc etc etc) and every time they've got better as I've traded in for the updated models but stayed the same if you get my drift. If other brands match the S-tronic I'm laughing. Anyway I digress...... This S-tronic really is good! If you go for one I'm sure you won't regret it, if I ever do get another Audi you can bet you're **** it will be S-tronic!

You won't find a better box than the s-tronic/DSG. I've had VX, BMW, Merc, LR, and Ford. None can match the VAG box. Hyundia have just released a dual clutch auto but not tried that. Ford/Volvo's power-shift is a total hit or miss. You'll stick with the VW group if you want the silky smooth changes and the mpg.

Reactions: Tony1982
I drive in s-tronic 99% of the time now. 3 weeks in to ownership and I can't see myself going back to a manual box ever. It's just the nuts:)

Rick's DSG remap will sort that out.
On the remap, it doesn't change up so quickly in D
and in S, it doesn't hang onto lower gears for so long, on light throttle

Plus a whole host of other things, including "proper" manual mode in manual (it won't change up, and will actually hit the rev limiter), increased clutch clamping pressure for Stage 1,2 power, increased RPM for launch control, torque limit increase etc. etc.

Veeeight, do you know if the remap can be applied to a 1.4COD? I find the 1st to 2nd change far too quick which leads to the apparent hesitation in Auto.

I think he's only done the calibration for the 6 speed wet clutch, but no doubt he can do a 7 speed dry clutch calibration too!

Reactions: glospete
Love the S tronic box in ours, Mrs had never driven an auto and I don't think she'll ever want a manual again

I think he's only done the calibration for the 6 speed wet clutch, but no doubt he can do a 7 speed dry clutch calibration too!

Many thanks - am I right is assuming this is Rick from Unicorn?

To me s-tronic is the best of both worlds.

Feeling lazy and floating about in town traffic in auto is as easy as it gets. Slide into manual mode and have very quick gear changes (almost) when you want them.

Sounds like the unicorn map makes it any excellent box?

I have had an s-Tronic since March, in both S3's but I would go back to manual. I find it really un-intuitive around town, my morning commute isn't far but i find myself thinking 'why did it choose that gear' or... 'Oh crap the car hasn't moved and I pressed the pedal a good second ago'. This is my personal opinion (don't shoot me down about it). I've driven s-tronic cars for years, but never owned one properly until now. I think it's the turbo lag / 4 cyl problem for me. My olds mans 991 C2S is PDK and due to the instant torque it's a dream to drive, but it is twice the car... If I had an RS4 S-tronic I'd say yes every day of the week however.

Reactions: veeeight
It's interesting to hear the differing opinions on those with the S3 and S-Tronic. Some love it, some live with its 'flaws' and others hate it. Just funny how the same car can be driven in so many different styles or habits but is, still the same car.

S-tronic with S3 works for me 90-95% of the time.

To get the best out of it, you do have to "learn to drive the gearbox", which can detract from driving the car as you would want to.

The other 5-10% it can be a frustration.
One thing for sure - I would not like to own a DSG/S-tronic outside the warranty period.
Too many mechatronic and valves issues/problems.

S-tronic with S3 works for me 90-95% of the time.

To get the best out of it, you do have to "learn to drive the gearbox", which can detract from driving the car as you would want to.

The other 5-10% it can be a frustration.
One thing for sure - I would not like to own a DSG/S-tronic outside the warranty period.
Too many mechatronic and valves issues/problems.
Probably very expensive to fix also.

Reactions: veeeight