Quick Review - B9 A4 Avant S-Line 2.0 TDI Manual

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
6APOR71.jpg

I was lent overnight this B9 A4 Avant S-Line 2.0 TDI manual GB by the Dealer who damaged by S4 whilst in for service
More of that here - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...oon-black-edition.240456/page-14#post-3054226

So I thought, time for a quick review as this is the 1st B9 I've driven
This particular car was a 65 plate with 5500 miles on the clock

Looked nice in daytona grey but needed bigger wheels IMHO but that could just be me lol

I liked all the LED headlights & particularly liked the LED downlighters from the door handles
The dynamic indicators give the car a more expensive feel, altho you can't see them when your driving
The powered tailgate kept me amused for a while . Easy pleased eh lol

Interior was a nice place to be, but why oh why is the front of the centre console so damn wide. The A4 I was driving was a FWD so no real need for it to be so wide
My wife commented on the centre dash MMI screen looked like someone had forgot to design it in & stuck it on after the car was finished. Why not have one that nicely tucks away in the dash like the A6's. Her words not mine lol
The plastics under the dash didn't seem good as on my B8.5. They felt a bit thin to me

This particular car didn't have HHA which I missed muchly
Not a fan of diesels per se but this one was still nice, quiet & smooth not having the 'knackered taxi' sounding engine that most, IMHO, diesels have
It did feel a little flat but thats probably as I had just got out of my S4, so not a fair comment me thinks

I liked the average 51.4mpg I was getting too. Over twice what my S4 does lol

Overall the cars' tech & toys are a step foreword over the B8 & B8.5' A4. Much more polished and accomplished IMHO

After having 4 new A4/S4's over the last 15 years, would I have another A4? Probably not as I don't need the space now

Reactions: cuke2u, Keef and V6_Man
Tbh, these new ones feel slightly spacious. I was given on Friday last week a 17 plate manual 1.6 tsi A3 (not as lucky as you) with only 1500 on the clock and I was genuinely impressed with both the space inside and how nippy she was. I liked the sweeping LEDs but like you said you can't see them. I too was impressed with the economy given by the petrol engine, almost double than my S4 (I get 23.7 max) ;) ;) ;)

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Nice review, your pic looks the same as my car :)
Ref the MMI screen I felt the same during a test drive, but after 4k of ownership I refer to the screen so often I could not imagine folding it away.
The wide transmission tunnel in the front is presumably due to the longitudinal engine gearbox configuration. I don't have an issue with it in the front but it's frustrating for the middle rear.
I agree with you the led lights are nice, in fact every light on the car is bright, including the boot lights and most passengers comment on it.
HHA for 75quid is essential on manual, I feel for anyone who misses it, should be standard.
The 18 wheels are a little unspectacular, but probably the best compromise if you do a lot of miles.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I had similar thoughts about the screen seeming like an afterthought. However, I had an A3 previously and I remember being slightly irrritated by the screen popping out of the dash every time the ignition was switched on even for a minute or so when moving the car on the driveway for example. I don't even notice that the screen is a permanent fixture now.