Quick Question: Exhaust Fell Off

90tdi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a call from a garage that I have my 2013 A4 Avant TDI in. The exhaust fell off the car as they were moving it for me to collect it.

They say that rusting exhaust brackets is a common problem on the B8.

Simply, is this true?

The car has had the sump off and oil pump/balance shaft worked on. I'd not have thought that would involve getting a portion of the exhaust out of the way but I'm skeptical of this garage as I've been messed around a bit already. I'm at a loss as to how a visual check would not have shown up this as an issue.

Thanks

well my B8 is from 2011 and i've not had this issue, if that means anything. and i have had water-related issues before [we believe] as driving through deep water during "Thunder Thursday" seemed to be the cause of some wirings issues i had w/ my brakes.
surely if it was due to rust they could easily show this via a photo of a corroded-through bracket?

If you go to a garage and they say your exhaust fell off whilst they were moving the car you need to go to another garage... If it's the brackets that have gone they could just get new ones/make them.

Never go back to this garage. Most likely they brought the ramp and car down onto a rolling toolbox or similar and crushed it. Did you see the rusted bracket and exhuast? A quick search on here revels how common it is on B8s...

I also question why your having work done on the oilpump and balance shaft of a 2013 car unless it's done ridiculous high mileage, those problems were long fixed by 2013

This happened wee bro on his 2012 a4 tdi. He left work and heard the bang and got car up on jack and the exhaust bracket was rusted to bits. Got another bracket and fitted with no problems.