Quick question, can you program used key fob?

Dylan Johnson

Test123
Reaction score
If I bought a used key with same part number and frequency will vcds program it or will it need to be a new un-programmed fob?

I have used Vcds to program a second hand remote on my old VW Golf Mk 5 but I needed the SKC to program a new RFID immobiliser chip. I believe that this is now harder to do on later models or the procedure has changed, I'd be interested to know also.

I have used Vcds to program a second hand remote on my old VW Golf Mk 5 but I needed the SKC to program a new RFID immobiliser chip. I believe that this is now harder to do on later models or the procedure has changed, I'd be interested to know also.

Thanks for reply, luckily I don't need the immobilizer just the green pcb board inside the keyfob as mine is water damaged. I'm guessing if it worked on a golf itl work on mine, thanks.

Followed this guide for my Golf perhaps someone can verify this is the same process

Followed this guide for my Golf perhaps someone can verify this is the same process

Yeah I've done a bit of research and I think thats the right way, when you reset to factory settings do you know if that messes with the immobilizer at all? Or is that just key fob/keyless entry reset.

As I done mine a few years ago i wouldn't want to give you the wrong info it probably has changed slightly, can anyone else verify the procedure ?