Quick Question about Tyres

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
Just grabbed what I thought was a bargain Black Friday deal.

4x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asem 5 Tyres Fitted on the drive £288.

The guy fitted them only wheel balanced the front 2 wheels.

I asked about this and he said that Audi make good wheels and they are all straight.

Is this standard practice to just balance the front wheels? I have been for a drive and theres no shaking at high speeds or anything.

I do have the car booked in this weekend for wheel alignment. Do the back wheel need alignment aswell ?

Thanks Guys.

All wheels should be balanced. You might have been lucky that it didn’t need any balance weights as the tyre and wheel was balanced enough without it but it should still have went through the balancing machine to check.
I’ve had wheels in the past that didn’t need any weights but that’s like 1-2 out of probably hundred odd tyres.

Reactions: AdamInKent
On a FWD drive its not imperative to balance the the rears, but personally I do. Think about the science, you want the wheels all rolling in balance, even if you can't technically feel it physically yourself - the car definitely will know!

Its a must on AWD though.

I always have four wheel alignment done (if the rears are adjustable on the particular car, some aren't on FWD cars)

Reactions: NevMan
Just grabbed what I thought was a bargain Black Friday deal.

4x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asem 5 Tyres Fitted on the drive £288.

The guy fitted them only wheel balanced the front 2 wheels.

I asked about this and he said that Audi make good wheels and they are all straight.

Is this standard practice to just balance the front wheels? I have been for a drive and theres no shaking at high speeds or anything.

I do have the car booked in this weekend for wheel alignment. Do the back wheel need alignment aswell ?

Thanks Guys.

Could you quote where you got that deal from on the Goodyears as that's a great price if i presume its for 18's? it will help out other members, thanks :)

Reactions: NHN
Yes it was 18's but you have to get 4 tyres for the discount.

4 x Fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 £288.96 with code - includes mobile fitting @ Halfords Code BF15

Reactions: NevMan
The rears may still be slightly out of balance but you don't feel it. It must still put extra wear and tear on suspension components etc. I always get all 4 done. What if you had to swap the wheels about for example?

Reactions: AdamInKent
Michelin PS4 are best tyres and are currently 390 ish fitted but they often have offers on with £100 off. 3 months ago I paid 160 for 2 fitted Michelin PS4, they are a million times better than the continentals that the car came with from the factory

bridgestones are currently on offer at 330 with 50 off for 4 tyres

Yes it was 18's but you have to get 4 tyres for the discount.

4 x Fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 £288.96 with code - includes mobile fitting @ Halfords Code BF15

How did you book it? I just tried and could only get them to 4 x £109 minus 15%

Untitled

Reactions: Dubjam
Michelin PS4 are best tyres and are currently 390 ish fitted but they often have offers on with £100 off. 3 months ago I paid 160 for 2 fitted Michelin PS4, they are a million times better than the continentals that the car came with from the factory

bridgestones are currently on offer at 330 with 50 off for 4 tyres

Yes I was wanting Michelin PS4 but these are not bad tyres and Im pleased with them. I looked up the specs and get really good reviews. I love the rim protection on them. Tyres stick out quite abit. might not look it on photos.

Reactions: NevMan and Dubjam
Most tyres are pretty good nowadays, even cheap ones. Have £50 tyres from a chinese brand that taxi drivers use on my peugeot 307 xsi.

They are good in the dry, but compared to michelins they are acceptable in the wet. Thats the main difference between good and average tyres. I dont think there are bad tyres now, not like 10+ years ago.

However the pug is just a mostly local workhorse/van so no need for expensive tyres - michelins on it cost more than my s3 tyres! £125 ish a corner, though 6 months ago they were £175 each!

Most tyres are pretty good nowadays, even cheap ones. Have £50 tyres from a chinese brand that taxi drivers use on my peugeot 307 xsi.

They are good in the dry, but compared to michelins they are acceptable in the wet. Thats the main difference between good and average tyres. I dont think there are bad tyres now, not like 10+ years ago.

However the pug is just a mostly local workhorse/van so no need for expensive tyres - michelins on it cost more than my s3 tyres! £125 ish a corner, though 6 months ago they were £175 each!

There are definitely bad tyres. I call them 'widow makers'.

My personal experience with a set of 'Fullruns' in the wet was pretty dramatic.

I think its probably exaggerated more when adding power to cheap tyres. So a 70bhp Nissan Micra probably could manage fine without too many death defying stunts on a set of Fullruns, but put them on an Impreza, and you need to be Colin Mcrae to keep going in a straight line in the rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, AdamInKent and AlS3BE
Yeah all wheels should be balanced, i have never had a wheel that didnt need a balance weight applied to it.