1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick one

KrisKrk Sep 24, 2017

1. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual Le Mans Edition

Decided to do something for my beloved car, as don't drive much now.

Took the engine cover out, cleaned with brake calliper cleaner

[​IMG]

Covered desired details

[​IMG]

And off We go

[​IMG]

Finished

[​IMG]

And fitted it back

[​IMG]

Looks nice. So chuffed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glasgowdubber, Za1n97, q5man and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro Platinum Supporter S tronic Audi Main Dealer

That's excellent Kris :)

Keefo13 and KrisKrk like this.
  4. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual Le Mans Edition

Thank you, @Sandra.

Got too much time in my hands as sitting at home and getting silly ideas from these drugs I take

5. KrisKrk

And another stupid one.

Don’t think anyone in here done anything like that so, should be first one

Ordered standard flip key replacement

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Filled in rings spot with trusted “No nails” glue (it will be replaced with something else)

[​IMG]

Sanded all parts down and prepped for paint

[​IMG]

No spraying booth so painted it on the stairwell and supported on pens. All taped together to hand rail and steps. Lol

Silver
    [​IMG]

With matt black details
    [​IMG]

Turned out nice

[​IMG]

After assembly but still without circuit board as need to het the blade replaced.
    For some reason, cannot punch the pin out from one or the other.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oem key had rings tatty so replaced them with those that came in the replacement key fob set

[​IMG]

Old and new

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still waiting for that “cherry”, Sline sticker in black so it will go in the place where rings were.

Will update once arrived.

Now off tho key cutting place to replace the blades and will put the gutting in the new fob.

6. Simon968

Simon968 Active Member Team V6 TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

I bought one of these for my key;

Clips over the standard key and its a similar colour to my car.

7. KrisKrk

Thought of that, Simon but didn’t want the audi rings anymore and most important, it thickens you fob more than a lick of paint.
    You would need to really deeply press that button to flip open the blade.
    Seen pictures when on the fob and it takes 1/4 of an button length that stick out of it.

The pieces I did in black will get scratched and peel off, I’m sure. Also the silver paint might be knocked or scratched but that’s why I got the cheap fob replacement. Got the spray for another project, as it won’t take that much on the key.

If it all go away in some time, I won’t cry as always can go back to oem key fob or repaint it.

8. Simon968

Simon968 Active Member Team V6 TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

I haven't really noticed the increase in thickness and the button to flip the key open is no more difficult than before.
    I was worried about the paint getting scratched off, but I've had the cover on since June last year and it's still intact.
    The cover is a really good fit to be honest.

9. KrisKrk

I thought it will and got put off because of that.

If the paint won’t stick together for long, I might get one of them.

10. Simon968

See how it goes, hopefully your paint won't scratch off.

I've been very impressed with my cover though.

11. KrisKrk

Right.
    This one wasn’t so “quick” as it took some time to prep. In fact, half of my day gone for callipers painting only at the front.

Done it on Saturday but arms are still sore, after scrubbing with a wire brush.
    Don’t have “before” pictures but all of us can imagine this grubby piece of brake dust and rust.

[​IMG]

Picture taken few months ago.

Hardly even anything visible there.

After scrubbing all rust and brake dust off, cleaning with proper brake cleaner and prepping with dust sheet, painted brake dust cover and hubs matt Black with Hammerite.
    Rotor vents and callipers got a layer of Hycote high temp paint in Silver and another 2 with Silver Hammerite.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wasn’t particularly bothered about avoiding the brake disc area or hub fronts as all was rubbed off after with first breaking.

Whole car need proper tlc but have no time for it yet. My freshly operated back also doesn’t allow me for excess flex.
    Carwash will have to do for now but even this has to be planned.
    Wasn’t yet so will post the finished product pics later on.

With filthy wheels on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only front done as started late and day passed fast (especially with my careful movements). Not to mention, brake cleaner run out.

Roadrunner146 likes this.
  12. Avatar

13. KrisKrk

Hard to call it a day light as its cloudy and foggy today aaaand the car is still dirty

IMG_9112 (Medium).JPG

Seanchadwick2k3 likes this.
  14. Furryhobnob

Furryhobnob Active Member

Looks much better pal, I had mine done in silver too as I didn't want them to stand out too much

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KrisKrk likes this.
  15. KrisKrk

Cheers bud

Furryhobnob likes this.
  16. KrisKrk

Was thinking to add on some Sline stickers but not much space in the rear callipers.
    Looks good without it but maybe too plain?

17. Furryhobnob

You need them alloys doing though, my ocd would be twitching if they were mine lol

18. KrisKrk

Hahaha.
    You’ve got no idea what it does to me. Lol
    Soon they will be replaced.

Furryhobnob likes this.
  19. KrisKrk

Wehey! Got to car wash.

So proud of my calliper achievement. Should give myself a tap on the back. Lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Furryhobnob and Steveredman like this.
  20. KrisKrk

Casing replaced and sticker added, on the key fob:

IMG_E9218[1].JPG

IMG_E9219[1].JPG

Replaced the whole blade, not just the tip, as it was showing far too much black paint loss. Same with button.
    Keyring loop also started to flake off. Grrrr!
    Think, I'm going to use this key only on special occasions.
    Maybe I should give it to powder coat it?

Was worried that paint might block the fob transmitter, as it contains Zinc. All worked out fine

Overall, happy with the look but if I was to do it again, I would use the original fob casing and thought of more robust paint to apply on chrome pieces.

21. Furryhobnob

Not sure on the sticker pal, looks like a cheap knock off lol, I'm tempted to buy a full carbon key cover, but they about £40!

22. Simon968

You mean something like this?

23. Furryhobnob

Your link doesn't work, but this one exactly
    [​IMG]

24. Simon968

Hmm... the link works for me, although it did take a while to appear.

The one I found is matt carbon, but only £7.99.

25. Furryhobnob

That's just a cover to go over your normal black plastic key, the one in my picture is a proper replacement that you put the internals of your key in

26. Simon968

I don't think it is.
    Looking at the last picture on the one you found it's just a cover the same as the one I linked to.

Furryhobnob likes this.
  27. Furryhobnob

You are correct lol, I just screenshot the first one I came too, the difference between the one you're talking about and mine is, the £42.99 one is proper carbon, the £7.99 one isn't, at £40ish though I have seen proper replacement fobs, and that's what I would buy

28. Simon968

That's still a lot of money for what it is.
    I got one more or less the same colour as my car for less than £8. Wouldn't really want to spend much more than that just for a key cover.

29. Furryhobnob

I wouldnt spend £40 on a key cover, I would spend it on a proper carbon replacement key fob though

KrisKrk likes this.
  30. KrisKrk

Well, it kinda is on a bigger side of it but could not find any smaller sticker.
    Had to ditch the “line” out of it as it was obviously too big and did not wanted to stick anything sideways.
    Wanted to get rid of standard rings in that spot.
    Was thinking also about the steering wheel badges but they big also.
    Didn’t want to slap on those cheap China gel S stickers. Trust me, this one looks better on it.

I looked at the covers inline but it makes the fob thicker, imo.

31. KrisKrk

If I was about to spend that £40, I would spend it on a fob in silver, not in bloody boring carbon.

There are no other choices than standard boring black thing and polished (or not) boring carbon thingy. Why no more choices?

Nowadays, there is a lot of choice in almost everything. Why no more in car key fob replicas o originals.

That £40, if the cover would’ve been from the dealer, I would go for it.
    Got myself a keyring with A6 lettering in it, which is faded, but got it from dealership fo £25.
    Same one found in Aliexpress for a fiver, and lettering looks better.

32. KrisKrk

Another thing to tick off from my to-do list.

They have finally arrived

IMG_9248.JPG

IMG_9249.JPG

Got silver screw on pressure valves

IMG_9291.PNG

Visual check

IMG_9296.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

Wicked !!! Valves will have black caps with Sline logo I currently have installed on oem wheels.

Waiting for new tyres for the rear and all will be fitted on soon.

33. Avatar

34. Furryhobnob

Where did you get the alloys from pal? I'm guessing they are replicas and not oem?

35. KrisKrk

19” will be replicas of this RS6 alloy model.
    These came out 20” as oem.

Widely available on eBay

36. niedzial1983

niedzial1983 Active Member

How much was the alloys ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

37. KrisKrk

38. niedzial1983

39. KrisKrk

Not on yet. Just ordered pair of tyres to be fitted on also.
    Awaiting arrival next week.:yahoo:

Show picture will be uploaded.

Can't wait :racer:

40. niedzial1983

They look great , im looking at 20" ... :)

41. KrisKrk

Aim is for this look (mine is not Black, Audizine member)

IMG_E9045[1].JPG

IMG_E9046[1].JPG

Also, another piece I would like to point out are side skirts. Have them for some time on my "to-do" list and that will be my next project, after wheels.
    Plan is to have them in silver to match colour theme on my car.

Hope I can polish my car like that.

Oh another thing, I ordered my wheels in MATTE finish. This supplier have them in GLOSS also.

42. KrisKrk

Didn't want to go bigger due to ride comfort loss potential. Mine is family car. Got "Children on board" sticker and car seats and all that. LOL

20" you can get oem RS6 wheels.

43. niedzial1983

Mine is family as well but... lol on mine 19" i have 35 tyre wall with is exactly the same for 20" . So im not sure if there would be any noticeable comfort difference