Quick Oil question 1999 S4

smoking_bob

Reaction score
The garage I get the car serviced in uses 5w30 castrol edge long life pro.

All i can get locally is the is the normal 5w30 castrol edge.

I'll assume its ok to top up with half a litre of the normal stuff :???

Thanks,

Bob

topping up is fine.

Get it off longlife and get it off 5w30 though.

Change your oil regularly (mine gets done every 5k), and use 5w40. Audi do their own "Quantum Platinum" which is fairly cheap and good.

Fair enough and thanks.

Gets changed every 5-7k. Didn't know about the audi stuff. Thanks for letting me know.

haven't done any damage by using the 5w30?

No damage, its just a bit on the thin side.

Ice: 10w40 is semi-synthetic.

I would recommend you stick to fully synth oil given the engines propensity to form sludge and the fact its turbocharged.

Well yea I thought this, but audi said to use as its a high mileage engine. So went with what they suggested.

Well yea I thought this, but audi said to use as its a high mileage engine. So went with what they suggested.

Yeah, the garage that service mine used the 5w30 long life I assume for the same reason (160K miles on the clock)

Anyway I for one will do as Aragorn suggests.

Next change is due in the next 2-3 months, so will swap it out then,

No damage, its just a bit on the thin side.

Ice: 10w40 is semi-synthetic.

I would recommend you stick to fully synth oil given the engines propensity to form sludge and the fact its turbocharged.

Right Audi is due another oil change, which oil should I go with? Car has done 143thou.

You could do a 50/50 flush of diesel/oil to clean out the engine.

Other than that maybe buy some cheap oil drain the 5w30's then fill with cheap oil run it to temp then flush and fill with 5w40's.

If the engines clean, i'd just change it.

If the engines not clean and your wanting to clean it out a bit then you have a few options.

Simplest is to buy 2 or 3 gallons of cheap oil (10w40 from asda or whatever) and do two or three oil changes back to back, with maybe 100miles of driving between them, ensuing the engine gets up to temperature properly etc. Then change to your good 5w40 oil. The thinking here is the clean hot oil will dissolve a lot of the crap into it, then gets flushed out and changed before it has a chance to start redepositing itself on the insides. A good indicator of this is how quickly the oil turns black. On a clean petrol, it'll take a good few thousand miles to go dark. On my engine, i change it at 5k and the oil looks black by then, but when wiped on some white tissue you can clearly see its dark brown rather than black.

More agressive would be to use an oil flush, but i'm not sure i get the point of doing that on old used oil, ideally youd want to chagne it for cheap fresh oil, do the flush then change it again for good stuff.

Most agressively is what bradderz suggests, a 50:50 mix of diesel and clean engine oil. You'd put this in, run the engine for 10mins at fast idle, then drain and refill with good oil.

You can do some combination of all three if you like, diesel flush followed by a couple of rapid changes with clean cheap oil then switch to the good stuff or whatever.

One thing for sure, the 1.8t engines are hard on what oil they hold.

Full synth @5w40 at a minimum I picked up 4l of edge fst at Asda for 38£ so wants too bad, it's an SN with some claimed improvements on the sludge front.
Mind you if you change your oil 3-5k then you may not need the SN spec......
I'll be going back to Fuchs[nee silkolene] ester 5w-40 next time round though.....just think it's a exceptionally good oil.

cheers

Mo.

Last edited:
Well she's running 5w40 now. I change every 4 to 5 though or 6 months. Which ever comes sooner really.