Quick advise

Danielm60

Reaction score
Hi all
I need some quick advise on what cab model would be best to buy as I’m Audi-less now I’ve sold my A1
Options are:
1. 2004 3ltr V6 Quattro 80,000 on the clock fully loaded automatic petrol

2. 2007 2ltr TFSI S line 95,000 manual petrol

3. 2006 3.1 S line CVT 104,000 manual auto petrol

4. 2006 3.1 FSI S line Quattro 157,000 auto petrol

I’m not worrying about usage costs as I only do around 6-8k a year ... more about up coming mechanical problems and cost to fix.

I’ve obviously checked all mot history and cam belt etc

So what do you think ?

Any help would be appreciated as I’ve got to get wheels this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It REALLY depends on what you want to do with the car. I have a 3.0 V6 Quattro Avant, with loads of spec, low mileage and auto box. It is far from a fast motor, and is pretty thirsty too. But it is a nice smooth drive, and isn't exactly slow. It is nice. But be prepared for 22 mpg or similar. Timing belt on these is a front off job too. And Audi want £650 for it, with the waterpump. I supplied the kit, and had my local indy do it instead, along with a full service, and gearbox oil and brake fluid, still cost £800 all in. So be wary of that expense.

Gonna have the same issues with the 2 3.1's your mentioning too. Although the 104k one says auto and manual. To be honest, I would go auto. They really aren't quick enough to really enjoy the benefits of a manual. They are a nice, lazy cruiser. Not a sporty car.

The 2.0 TFSI on the other hand. That's probably where my money would go. It'll be a remap away from kicking lumps out the V6's. And no doubt with using less fuel at the same time (I'd expect closer to 30 mpg average than 22 mpg). It is a bit newer too, which helps. The boosty nature of the engine will also sit better with the manual gearbox. Just be wary of oil pickup issues and other 2.0 TFSI related issues (I'm not sure if these have the same issues as my previous Golf GTI Edition 30).

While you said you are not too worried about fuel costs, it does get old, pretty quickly, stopping for fuel every 280 miles or so. 350 miles isn't a huge improvement mind you. But it is noticeable.

Reactions: Danielm60
If it’s a cabby you want, it has to be a S4 with that lovely V8 soundtrack.

It REALLY depends on what you want to do with the car. I have a 3.0 V6 Quattro Avant, with loads of spec, low mileage and auto box. It is far from a fast motor, and is pretty thirsty too. But it is a nice smooth drive, and isn't exactly slow. It is nice. But be prepared for 22 mpg or similar. Timing belt on these is a front off job too. And Audi want £650 for it, with the waterpump. I supplied the kit, and had my local indy do it instead, along with a full service, and gearbox oil and brake fluid, still cost £800 all in. So be wary of that expense.

Gonna have the same issues with the 2 3.1's your mentioning too. Although the 104k one says auto and manual. To be honest, I would go auto. They really aren't quick enough to really enjoy the benefits of a manual. They are a nice, lazy cruiser. Not a sporty car.

The 2.0 TFSI on the other hand. That's probably where my money would go. It'll be a remap away from kicking lumps out the V6's. And no doubt with using less fuel at the same time (I'd expect closer to 30 mpg average than 22 mpg). It is a bit newer too, which helps. The boosty nature of the engine will also sit better with the manual gearbox. Just be wary of oil pickup issues and other 2.0 TFSI related issues (I'm not sure if these have the same issues as my previous Golf GTI Edition 30).

While you said you are not too worried about fuel costs, it does get old, pretty quickly, stopping for fuel every 280 miles or so. 350 miles isn't a huge improvement mind you. But it is noticeable.

Thanks for the help ... I’m popping down to see the TFSI on Saturday

Check the service history, some 2 litre tfsi engined cars had oil consumption problems(dependant on year), they had (or should have) had new pistons and piston rings fitted if it was needed.Just to check if the work was done, warranty work was only done if the car had FSH.

Check the service history, some 2 litre tfsi engined cars had oil consumption problems(dependant on year), they had (or should have) had new pistons and piston rings fitted if it was needed.Just to check if the work was done, warranty work was only done if the car had FSH.

That’s a great point ... I knew some drank oil like it was going out of fashion but didn’t know why.
Cheers for the help

Reactions: QuattroCalum
Personally prefer 2004 3.0L Quattro other low miles and try to bargain based on cam belt, idler, tensioner and W/P replacement kit which is about $850 USD.

Thanks for all the help and advise... I’m trying to get around to see all three this weekend so will be changing my profile picture soon

Reactions: QuattroCalum