Questions on the low tax bracket A6 C7 Avants

coreythorny

Reaction score
Hi all.

I’ve been looking around for some time and struggling to find info relating to my wish list.

Im in the market for a C7 A6 2.0TDi Ultra Avant in the £30 annual tax bracket. Ideally a black edition and with FB wheel and tech pack. I just cannot find anything anywhere, I’m starting to presume this model was not released until after the tax changes?

In which case I’m happy with a S-line but again cannot find one with a FB wheel from standard or very few with a tech pack, where these not available extras back then?

I can find plenty of saloons in very nice specs with all extras but no avants.

Also, are there any reviews or advice on these models? I’ll be coming from a BMW F26 (X4) 35D.

many thanks.

How about this one - just need to add the FBSW.

I can't believe how the prices have risen. I paid 18K for a 33,000-mile 2014 (non ULEZ) BiTDi Avant from an Audi dealer just over a year ago.

How about this one - just need to add the FBSW.

I can't believe how the prices have risen. I paid 18K for a 33,000-mile 2014 (non ULEZ) BiTDi Avant from an Audi dealer just over a year ago.

looks the right spec, I should have mentioned I’d be looking for the facelift version, apologies.

the used car market is crazy, I’ve had my car 2 years and it’s worth the same at PX value as what I paid for it.

If you are looking to get into the £30 road tax then you won’t find one in the black edition as they all had 20s.
I remember mine if you optioned the 19s or 20in wheels then it went up a road tax band. Some other options affected the co2 so increased road tax from the £30.
Only kept my ultra for a year then got the 272 Quattro paying same road tax.

If you are looking to get into the £30 road tax then you won’t find one in the black edition as they all had 20s.
I remember mine if you optioned the 19s or 20in wheels then it went up a road tax band. Some other options affected the co2 so increased road tax from the £30.
Only kept my ultra for a year then got the 272 Quattro paying same road tax.

that makes sense then. I just presumed the £30 band 3.0 models where a incorrect data input on autotrader!

it looks like I’m a after a hens tooth of a spec but I shall keep looking.

Is the saloon boot that much smaller? We have a 1yr old and the X4 boot can quickly fill up if going out for a few days

that makes sense then. I just presumed the £30 band 3.0 models where a incorrect data input on autotrader!

it looks like I’m a after a hens tooth of a spec but I shall keep looking.

Is the saloon boot that much smaller? We have a 1yr old and the X4 boot can quickly fill up if going out for a few days

I had 3 saloons and it was big enough for me and family. You just don’t get the height but plenty depth as it’s a long car. I could easily carry a pram and small/medium suitcase. You also got the option to put the back seats down if you need more space.
as far as I can remember the 3.0l fwd 218ps with 17/18s was within the £30 road tax band. All the Quattros was in the band £140+
I personally look for a 3.0 fwd or quattro. The 3.0 engines are buttery smooth and doesn’t need worked hard to get going. Fuel economy between my ultra and 272 was less than 10% on my normal commute.

Hi all.

I’ve been looking around for some time and struggling to find info relating to my wish list.

Im in the market for a C7 A6 2.0TDi Ultra Avant in the £30 annual tax bracket. Ideally a black edition and with FB wheel and tech pack. I just cannot find anything anywhere, I’m starting to presume this model was not released until after the tax changes?

In which case I’m happy with a S-line but again cannot find one with a FB wheel from standard or very few with a tech pack, where these not available extras back then?

I can find plenty of saloons in very nice specs with all extras but no avants.

Also, are there any reviews or advice on these models? I’ll be coming from a BMW F26 (X4) 35D.

many thanks.
How about this one

going to say mines the 2.0 tdi ultra black edition and its £120 a year... although I am looking at RS6's and the £450 tax :welcoming:

going to say mines the 2.0 tdi ultra black edition and its £120 a year... although I am looking at RS6's and the £450 tax :welcoming:

I went 8P S3, B8.5 S4 at 480bhp, now the X4 35D.
call it becoming a dad or the 30s creeping up, I like the idea of cheap(er) miles and less tax…

since the wife got a A3 saloon I can’t help but find myself reaching for her keys if we do any miles and don’t need the space. It’s a effortless 55mpg+.

Last edited:
I went 8P S3, B8.5 S4 at 480bhp, now the X4 35D.
call it becoming a dad or the 30s creeping up, I like the idea of cheap(er) miles and less tax…

since the wife got a A3 saloon I can’t help but find myself reaching for her keys if we do any miles and don’t need the space. It’s a effortless 55mpg+.
I was consistently getting around 50mpg in my 272 a6 and it was plenty quick when needed. Got better mpg in the a6 than my wife’s 2.2d merc

It’s the 20 in wheels in the black edition that pushes it up a tax band.

it's worth it... even the 20's look small on the A6
I think the manufacturers are deliberately making huge wheel arches in new cars so you are forced to get the big wheel options.
I can remember the days when I had 17s and they were seen as massive nowadays 20+ inches is the norm.

Keeping an eye on it.
I am making my quest even harder by hoping for Approved Used from a Audi dealership.
I am in no rush mind so still holding out
I found that the 30-day no-quibble return promise offered by the VAG Approved Used Warranty can be very useful - I almost had to use it for the first time this year. The promise is to give you a credit note to spend on another Approved Used car.

I helped my son buy a Golf Estate earlier in the year. My suspicions were aroused when the tyre pressure monitoring alert came on the drive home. I took it in for a free health check at a local VAG dealer (fortunately part of the same group) which revealed that the front brakes were corroded and 70% worn - just below the 75% limit where the brakes must be replaced prior to sale. The rear brakes were corroded & 50% worn. I suspect that this might have been a sea-side car. The left rear tyre received a red flag at 3mm.
I do admit that my impecunious son did select just about the cheapest ULEZ-complaint Golf going at the time. However, a threat to return the car prompted an offer to pay for the repairs at the local VW dealer.
I gather that VAG Head Office get very upset with the dealer's Head of Business if a car is rejected.

Good luck with the search!

A6 2.0TDI Ultra FL Black Edition here. I purchased 2nd hand in 2018, was 2 months old with 1200 miles. £530 tax per year for the first 5 years and is based on the new car price being above £40K (I think). But it is ULEZ friendly based on low emissions.