Questions about RNS-E Sat Nav

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently bought a 2007 B7 Saloon (1.9 TDI) in mint condition with only 37k on the clock. Anyway it comes with a colour DIS and RNS-E Audi Navigation Plus system fitted as standard. A couple of questions:

1) Thinking of updating the maps on the RNS-E as the current mapping is waaaaay out of day (I suspect still from 2007). On ebay you can buy map update DVDs for the RNS-E for a tenner for 2018 maps (non-postcode option which is fine). Is it simply a case of loading the update DVD into the RNS-E and it will update automatically?

2) The RNS-E system seems to have bluetooth built-in for hands free calling, though I haven't set it up yet. Does anyone know if I can also use the phone's bluetooth connection to playback music thru the car's speakers? The car's manual makes no mention of this so I suspect the answer is no.

Cheers

Reactions: psychopomp1
Not an expert but my 2007 came with a new genuine Audi disc which I just put in and it worked. Dont know if it saves all the content or just reads from the disc in real time.
I don't think they can stream Bluetooth, I bought an adapter which works well enough.

Guys,
Is my RNS-E knackered? I'm able to flip the screen but I'm unable to insert the new map DVD into the DVD slot behind, it seems there's a DVD inside already. Pressing the 'eject' button next to 'DVD ROM' logo does absolutely nothing. Should there be a DVD inside all the time, ie the sat nav cannot be operated without one? If so, how on earth am I supposed to eject this? I asked the seller but he didn't have a clue. Cheers

image hosting sites

To use the maps DVD has to be inside it, I usually take mine out when I don't use it. I use it only when traveling across border as backup for Waze. If You can't get yours out, take a knife or something similar and lift those covers a bit up, maybe you can get to your disc and help it to get out, I assume that there is a sound when You press the Eject, that it is lifted up, just can't make the last step - at least that was the case for DVD in my RNS-e - I assume it was in there for years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for that sibmets. Pressing the 'eject' button makes no sound at all, however later on I will gently try to loosen the existing DVD using a knife. I suspect the old DVD has been there since 2007 so may simply be stuck. Thanks again!

Reactions: Sibmets
Is there a chance its a locked unit, I read about units being locked by the dealer, and then you have go back to them to unlock.
You can unlock it with VCDS.

Reactions: Sibmets
Is there a chance its a locked unit, I read about units being locked by the dealer, and then you have go back to them to unlock.
You can unlock it with VCDS.
↑ This!
Personally if you're getting no sound at all from the mechanism when you press eject, I think it's the most likely cause.
Hook up VCDS and select the 'Radio' module (#56).
Channel 67 needs to be set to 000 (instead of 255).
This fully enables the eject button.

Reactions: Sibmets, psychopomp1 and Scarabrae
Thanks. Pheeeew thank God I haven’t used a knife to try to eject the dvd lol. Re: getting access to vcds, the only person I know is my local Indy and he will charge at least £50 for the privilege. I guess buying a vcds kit off eBay and doing the coding myself will be the cheapest way. Can anyone recommend a kit on eBay? Bearing in mind that this will be the only coding mod I will be doing.
Cheers

I'm pretty sure a cheapo ebay job won't cut it I'm afraid, needs full legit VCDS.
Not cheap, but was the single best investment I EVER made in the way of tools.
Not sure whereabouts you're located, but have you checked the VCDS users map to see if anyone local to you:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?msa=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=54.495568000000006,-3.8232419999999365&spn=8.941335,43.505859&z=5&source=embed&mid=1M8YUWXBDCxcIynV6WHg3zpxWsx8
Most folks will do it for free or just beer money...
Thanks for that, have PM'd a VCDS owner near me.

Reactions: AlexMac
Also You can try OBDeleven - Bluetooth obd tool - costs about 50€ - does everything VCDS does.

https://obdeleven.com/en/#section-6

I always forget about that option! Would have been tempted to try it myself if I hadn't already got VCDS (especially having an Android HU in the car). Obviously need the Pro version for any coding, and I don't love the requirement for a 'Good stable internet connection' in order to use it (not always the case when you need to hook up a car). Plus the whole 'Credits' thing puts me off a bit, but it is indeed a whole lot cheaper than VCDS and looks comparable. Well worth considering if you don't have any joy with your local VCDS user/s...

Reactions: jay1601
You can buy cloned VCDS leads from
China for around £20 does everything a genuine ross-tech lead does

Had mine for a few years, no issues worksspot on

You can buy cloned VCDS leads from
China for around £20 does everything a genuine ross-tech lead does

Had mine for a few years, no issues worksspot on

Where did you get your lead from pal?

Ok managed to update the RNS-E to 2018 maps. I met someone local who had obd11 on his Android smartphone installed along with a bluetooth dongle. Plugged this into the obd port on my car and in the software in 'Radio' module (#56), changed channel 67 to 000 (instead of 255). This almost immediately ejected the DVD (with 2007 maps lol). Put in the new el-cheapo DVD (bought for a tenner from eBay) and 5-10 mins later, the maps were updated. Thanks everyone :)

Reactions: Sibmets and AlexMac
Awesome news mate. Love it when a fix is that easy!

2) no, You can't, you'll need an aftermarket solution for that. I bought Dension Gateway BT lite for this purpose - to stream music from my phone and use steering wheel buttons for control. Costs about 130€ in my country. Or you can go aux cable adapters route.
https://www.dension.com/automotive/products/car-multimedia-solutions/gateway-lite-bt

Do you get your dension to show text in the DIS display?

Got the same one in my car, but cant get no text, im sure i had it on my last car with the concert 2 player, have the rns-e now, cant see why i should not work

Do you get your dension to show text in the DIS display?

Got the same one in my car, but cant get no text, im sure i had it on my last car with the concert 2 player, have the rns-e now, cant see why i should not work
No, it doesn't show song names, only which CD and track. I read that only Dension Pro shows song names on DIS, but it costs twice as much.