Questions about Matrix LEDs

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Hi,

Spec'd Matrix lights on my factory build A4 Avant Black Edition and have a general idea on how they work but have a couple of questions:

1) Will the Matrix LEDs still dim on/off automatically with the Main Beam Assist switched off? Or does switching off Main Beam Assist just turn the headlights into bog standard dipped beam LEDs with a constant light output when driving normally at night?

2) How many clusters of light beams/rays does each headlight produce when ALL of the LEDS are switched on & operating at full blast? Looking at the Matrix headlight stock photos there appear be at least 3 in each headlight enclosure but not sure if there's more and also if there's a second row of LEDs.

Cheers

1.They are either dipped or automatically adjust light output according to GPS and traffic.
When auto is off they are permanently dipped and you can manually set high beam by pushing the stalk away once, pushing it away twice puts it in auto.

2. No idea but you do see an array of light that adjusts over quite an area so there must be quite a few separate LED's.

Reactions: psychopomp1
1.They are either dipped or automatically adjust light output according to GPS and traffic.
When auto is off they are permanently dipped and you can manually set high beam by pushing the stalk away once, pushing it away twice puts it in auto.

2. No idea but you do see an array of light that adjusts over quite an area so there must be quite a few separate LED's.

Thanks!

This very cool short video by Audi answers my second question...4 beams of light in each headlight at max setting:

Thanks!

This very cool short video by Audi answers my second question...4 beams of light in each headlight at max setting:

That's quite cool that they do the cornering thing, I can't say that I've ever noticed that but I'll keep an eye out next time!

I have them and now I wonder how I ever did without them!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
I think there are 4 LEDs in each of the three sections of high beam, so 12 independent LEDs per headlight plus the dipped and "all-weather" sections on top.

The newest "HD" version of these has 84 beams per headlight! Bet they're not cheap....

The newest "HD" version of these has 84 beams per headlight! Bet they're not cheap....

I bet you're right! Mine was scratched a while back by some muppet (on purpose!) so I'd asked how much a replacement is. About £1,650. For one.