Question regarding haldex for 8P s3

jdm_z33

Reaction score
Hello, I have some questions regarding the Haldex system on my 2008 8P S3 6MT:

First of all, is it a generation 4 haldex?

Secondly, I suspect that either my haldex or rear differential has failed because when I lift up the car and put it into first gear, only the front wheel will spin, where the two rear wheels used to spin as well under the same situation.

Third question, I heard that under normal driving condition, Haldex will not engage the rear differential so only the front two wheels will be running and it will engage the rear diff. clutch when slippage occurs, if so, it should be normal for only the front two wheels to be turning when I put the car on the lift?

I guess I'm trying to determine where my rear differential is really broken or not...

BTW, I changed the rear differential pump and filter already, and another symptom is, when I full throttle in first gear, the front two wheels will spin for a wheel and the car will catch grip then go...where as it used to just sprint off without much of wheel spin before.

Thanks.

Forget the lift, go out in the snow, or a wet road or a gravel road and dump the clutch. If you get front wheel spin only then the haldex or diff needs looked at - I’d suspect haldex.

A VCDS scan would be worth while to see if there is any errors. With VCDS you can also engage the Haldex pump to get an idea where it’s working or not.

You’ll be Gen2 haldex.

Reactions: S.
Thanks for the quick reply, I tried it on paved road with bad conditions and only the two front wheel were spinning. No errors were detected in VCDS, however, I do see slight oil stains on both sides of the CV joint and boots...How do I determine whether it is a Haldex issue or differential issue? Also, when I let off the throttle on the lift, I can hear a loud noise inside the rear differential (see link here: )

Thanks.

Could one or both front ABS sensors be faulty? I’m pretty sure if they are faulty they don’t see the front slipping and don’t tell the Haldex to operate initiate.
I may be wrong on this but just a thought.

Reactions: abmat
Could one or both front ABS sensors be faulty? I’m pretty sure if they are faulty they don’t see the front slipping and don’t tell the Haldex to operate initiate.
I may be wrong on this but just a thought.

Wouldn't some fault codes show in VCDS if a sensor is faulty?? I have no fault codes...

That sounds very unhealthy.
Have you drained the oil to see how much is in there, and if there are bits of metal inside?
Definitely sounds mechanical to me as there would be fault codes related to Haldex controller or ABS sensors if they were at fault.

Wouldn't some fault codes show in VCDS if a sensor is faulty?? I have no fault codes...
Thinking further- the best way to prove the wheel sensors are good is by slamming the brakes on and feeling the Brake pedal judder as it should. The Haldex system is still the the favourite for you problem.
You can’t 100% rely on seeing fault codes for all problems, as I have found over the years.