Question for Soft Top Owners

stevey83

Reaction score
How often do you waterproof your roofs? Ill be doing mine as soon as it dries up using the Renovo Ultra Proofer. With all the rain my roof is absolutely soaking and im sure its soaking through.

I do mine every 3 months using the Autoglym kit. Reminds me it's about due again when I get a dry weekend. I get 2 to 3 applications from the kit.

I do mine every 3 months using the Autoglym kit. Reminds me it's about due again when I get a dry weekend. I get 2 to 3 applications from the kit.

I bought the Autglym kit tonight, I was thinking about pouring the protector into a pot and painting it on?

The Autoglym spray actually covers really well direct from the bottle if you use a sideways motion as you pull the trigger. I do wipe it across the roof afterwards to make sure it is all covered.

Probably worth pointing out my cabriolet lives outside all year round. A garaged car would not need treating nearly as often as I do mine.

mines never been done and going green
rear window falling out
getting new roof in may can't wait till then

Despite what Audi state the rear screens can be bonded back in when they start to separate. Mine had gone on both lower corners. Repaired it about 18 months ago and no issues since.

The green will come off just takes some hard work.

I bought the Autglym kit tonight, I was thinking about pouring the protector into a pot and painting it on?

That's what I started doing a few years back, you'll get a more even coverage and a lot less waste than using the gun. I put kitchen roll plugs into the drainage channels either side of the windscreen so the proofer doesn't gum them up.

Despite what Audi state the rear screens can be bonded back in when they start to separate. Mine had gone on both lower corners. Repaired it about 18 months ago and no issues since.

The green will come off just takes some hard work.
Yes I know but I think I may go for Burgundy roof too as its 775 fitted ?

Well i did mine on Sunday, which i think was a mistake! It was probably to cold, as it didnt dry out and doesnt seem to have waterproofed it! Ill try again when its warmer.

As for the failing rear window, mine was the same, but i did repair it last summer. For the stuff i needed to do it cost me about £50. Holding fine so far.

How often do you waterproof your roofs? Ill be doing mine as soon as it dries up using the Renovo Ultra Proofer. With all the rain my roof is absolutely soaking and im sure its soaking through.[/QUOT i use fabsil gold ...waterproofer from millets or camping shop. , sponge on twice a year ...not only is fabsil gold cheaper than autoglym or others it also makes the hood look like it's been redyed
( dark black ) plus the rain forms beads as it rolls off .

Fabsil gold ...waterproofer from millets or any camping shop. , sponge or brush on ....twice a year ... spring & autumn. not only is fabsil gold cheaper than autoglym or any others.considering its £15 for 1 ltr it also makes the hood look like it's been redyed wash it dry it seal it ...
( dark black ) plus the rain forms beads as it rolls off . Highly recommend.. my brother was so impressed that he washed his 2016 A5 hood and redone it in fabsil... my 2003 original hood still looked newer than his .

Reactions: SteveMcB
Fabsil gold ...waterproofer from millets or any camping shop. , sponge or brush on ....twice a year ... spring & autumn. not only is fabsil gold cheaper than autoglym or any others.considering its £15 for 1 ltr it also makes the hood look like it's been redyed wash it dry it seal it ...
( dark black ) plus the rain forms beads as it rolls off . Highly recommend.. my brother was so impressed that he washed his 2016 A5 hood and redone it in fabsil... my 2003 original hood still looked newer than his .

Yeah ive seen this come up, ill try it with that next time i do it.

Going to give this a try as well
:icon thumright:

Going to give this a try as
I found for the best results to use a large dusting brush, the bristles are softer and loads the brush more.+ covers it quicker . work from centre to outside then repeat on the opposite side . Dont go front to back as it will show up any streaking . When parked next to another cabriolet their hoods sometimes look like dull, almost slate grey compared . Dont be tempted to fold the hood away as this will leave crease Mark's and will need further coverage .. ps it's also more cost effective if you go for a larger can . ...half a pint will easily do it. & the brush just rinses out. Amazon are very reasonably priced ....

I have rebonded my glass , it's time consuming but can be done. Never waterproof my roof though.