Question for resident tyre professor(s)

PanamaS3

Reaction score
I had Continental ContiSport Contact 5p in 235/35/19 91Y XL all round up until a puncture on front right.
So I put a temporary Good Year F1 on in same size until I could get 2 more Conti 5p's.
Thing is....I don't notice much (if any) difference with the one different shoe on....and the Conti's are mighty expensive as I have to ship to Panama. I could just buy one replacement, but my OCD demands that I buy 2 to replace both front to maintain same wear pattern (Note: existing tyres not that old, maybe 8-10k km's).
I keep telling myself I might buy the new RS3 sedan....but reality is that I probably won't do that for another year or so.....so what to do?? Buy 1 or 2 Conti 5p? Buy another Good Year F1 for left side front? Say to hell with them all and keep the odd shoes until I sell?? In the immortal words of Les Dennis: "well I don't really know!!"

Reactions: Jassyo06
I had Continental ContiSport Contact 5p in 235/35/19 91Y XL all round up until a puncture on front right.
So I put a temporary Good Year F1 on in same size until I could get 2 more Conti 5p's.
Thing is....I don't notice much (if any) difference with the one different shoe on....and the Conti's are mighty expensive as I have to ship to Panama. I could just buy one replacement, but my OCD demands that I buy 2 to replace both front to maintain same wear pattern (Note: existing tyres not that old, maybe 8-10k km's).
I keep telling myself I might buy the new RS3 sedan....but reality is that I probably won't do that for another year or so.....so what to do?? Buy 1 or 2 Conti 5p? Buy another Good Year F1 for left side front? Say to hell with them all and keep the odd shoes until I sell?? In the immortal words of Les Dennis: "well I don't really know!!"
Buy another Goodyear mate **** it,there cheaper lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and PanamaS3
yep....wise words and affirmation from 2 blokes i'd let work under my hood and shine my motor lol.....thanks guys....did some internet review checks and it seems the GY F1's aren't too bad....so for $240 installed and balanced right now versus $900 plus for 2 conti's plus fitting and balanacing and a minimum 2 week wait I think its a winner....anyway don't know whats up with my suspension right now but its not where I wanted it to be so spending less the better and see if I can't get myself into an RS3 a bit sooner (he says wishfully)....cheers lads

Reactions: Rob2k68
I had GY F1's some time back before switching to 19s and rate them over the Contis - much quieter and at least equal at doing everything else.

Sorry to hear that you still have suspension issues - are they noise or performance related ? Had my car in last week for the DSG service and whilst it was there they solved the knocking from the back which turned out to be a loose anti-roll bar fixing and then replaced the 034 M/S dogbone insert and OEM lower bush with the Revo lower pendulum mount and that has solved the annoying squeak I've had for ages coming from the front. Car is now quieter, much smoother gear changes and seems to put power down quicker.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Jassyo06
I had GY F1's some time back before switching to 19s and rate them over the Contis - much quieter and at least equal at doing everything else.

Sorry to hear that you still have suspension issues - are they noise or performance related ? Had my car in last week for the DSG service and whilst it was there they solved the knocking from the back which turned out to be a loose anti-roll bar fixing and then replaced the 034 M/S dogbone insert and OEM lower bush with the Revo lower pendulum mount and that has solved the annoying squeak I've had for ages coming from the front. Car is now quieter, much smoother gear changes and seems to put power down quicker.
cheers Rob....I have an Asymmetric 2 on....so will get another one of those then for now.
I dunno whats up with my suspension....it was crashy before....and still is....bit worse because now its dropped 10mm so when I go too fast down a dip it bottoms out....really don't want to be babying the car around like this....cars going in soon to try to find the source of the rattle I've had for ages...might be dog bone mount...or front sway...or a control arm...exhaust bracket....its got to be something there cos the noise is annoying the hell out of me.
Congrats on getting yours sorted....onwards and upwards mate

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06