Question for quattro drivers

musicegbdf

Reaction score
OK Traction control on or off ? Which is more fun. Assume with TC off the 4 wheel drive cuts in more?

Bump , come on guys give me a clue. I have to have some fun will I wait for my first audi

It's a safety measure so personally I would not recommend to anyone unless your doing a quarter mile sprint,with ESP off the wheels can spin

+1 .. we have had 2 8P Quattros so far (third on order). The first a 200PS petrol (2005/05) was a rocket and turning the TC off made it downright lethal. The second 170 PS Diesel is a wolf in sheeps clothing and turning the TC off when accelerating away only reduces traction so tend not to even bother. Just enjoy the Quattro which is what makes an Audi a great Audi.

If you have the urge to try out different options try out different options the new A4/A5 have various packages which will no doubt be available on a new A3 in 2012 or later!

The grip from the 4wd is such that you have to push pretty hard for the TC to cut in anyway.
When it does, a find it quite intrusive and bogs the car.
But if you are having some wet roundabout antics then defo switch it off.

cheers
Paul

thks guys ...I did wonder...It's good to know the qauttro kicks in and is not strangled by the TC

I never see my TC light flash on the dash and I can launch off the line using the Quattro to full effect. I had my car on a ramp in the week for the tracking to be done, and the Quattro system underneath is quite complex and hefty piece of kit!

Quattro (Haldex) doesn't kick in it. Its always active and working moving power aft as needed.

Thks , that is helpful. My current car has a similar system , but actually stays in 2WD and the 4WD does kick in. In fact as the pump oil gets old you can hear it as the rear diff clutch starts to slip. I makes a rubbing sound. At that point you have to replace the diff pump oil...

I have a stage 2+ S3, i find it better with the TC off as it cuts my power off roundabouts/junctions. I put it back on out in the open roads. The car doesn't spin the wheels with the traction off just lets you have all the power.

If you go into a turn fast and try to accelerate more, then ESP would kick in and bog down the car as it cuts fuel and prevent the car from accelerating. If you go into a turn slower and floor the gas from there, ESP would kick in but most of what it does would be inner wheel braking but not cut the fuel, so you still feel the acceleration out of the corner.

I would leave ESP on, especially in the wet or snow. Even with all 4 wheels being driven in a turn, the car might still plow forward depending on if it is slipping, what the momentum of the car was, how much gas you are applying and whether you are in a low gear, which would apply more torque to the wheels. Sometimes it might plow forward, other times it might do some 4 wheel drift.

I can't seem to turn mine of for longer than a few minutes, it always ends up coming back on automatically?! Am I missing something?

Theres a review on utube where they claim the ESP is never switched off fully, it becomes active under braking no matter what you've set it too.....??????? no idea if thats true or not......(its the S3 vs STI German Video)

ESP while braking = ABS, unless I am missing something.

ESP needs to be 'off' to use launch control with a DSG 'box....

Great fun, but I suspect, heavy on the clutches!

Col