Question: Dual mass flywheels

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
For a little while now I have been getting what initially felt like clutch slippage. If I dropped a gear to accelerate there was a hesitation, the engine revs rose, and then the car proceeded to accelerate a little later.

In addition to this, when I start the car in the morning the engine struggles to turn over at the first cold start. Subsequently each warm start is fine.

For the first few minutes of driving whilst the car is warming up there is a very light vibration through the throttle pedal and steering wheel.

Someone suggested it may be the dual mass flywheel.

From any previous experience anyone on here has had previously does this seem likely?

The car is booked in to be looked at on the 25th, but the first attempt the dealers had to 'replicate the fault', their were unsuccessful.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

cheers

Warren

My 1.9tdi Golf has all of these symptoms too, the acceleration one is very rare but the rumble at traffic lights is permanent.

I was told that the air mass meter was a common fault that could cause some of these symptoms too. VW told me they would bill me the time during the warranty if the car didn't present the fault when it was in so i just left it.