question about suspension Audi A4 B6 Avant 2.5tdi not qautro

Colin Anderton3

Reaction score
does anyone a blow up of the rear suspension so I can slowly replace all parts from top to bottom, I see that Meyle if that is correct is a good company to buy from all help will be apreciated thanks from Colin

What's the mileage and what's the problem. New suspension components aren't cheap. If there's a clunk, then check obvious things such as renewing rear ARB bushes, or the rear suspension links. Meyle HD parts are excellent (come with 4 year warranty). Lemforder is (OE kit).

What's the mileage and what's the problem. New suspension components aren't cheap. If there's a clunk, then check obvious things such as renewing rear ARB bushes, or the rear suspension links. Meyle HD parts are excellent (come with 4 year warranty). Lemforder is (OE kit).

yes there is a notociable clunk when you get out of the car, it is the drivers side or that seems where the clunk is coming from, the car has done just over 100k and still as strong as an ox. I would assume if you do one side then it is feasable to do the other side as well, I shall jack up the car and check the bushes for any play and I shall look for Lemforder as well as Meyle as i know they are qaulity, cheers from Colin

yes there is a notociable clunk when you get out of the car, it is the drivers side or that seems where the clunk is coming from, the car has done just over 100k and still as strong as an ox. I would assume if you do one side then it is feasable to do the other side as well, I shall jack up the car and check the bushes for any play and I shall look for Lemforder as well as Meyle as i know they are qaulity, cheers from Colin
hello again did a lot of running round and eventually found out the car in question is a B5 and not a B6, the B6 has a wishbone type suspension and the after checking Audi the whole part is £190 inc vat so get under the car and have a good look round with a pry bay to check everything, while I was out at an independent Audi dealers who repair mainly RS4,s and sixes there was a RS6 parked outside the garage and the twin exhaust looked like two chimneys it was on a 52 plate, the owners must have the deep pockets because I could not afford to run one besides I would quickly lose my license lol cheers from Colin

The RS4 in B5 guise is a true classic.

You've got the same engine as me (AKN). Great engines, and will easily top 250k miles. Renew oil (Castrol Edge 5w30) and filter every 10k miles and the timing belt every 80k or 5 years along with a genuine Audi thermostat and water pump and it will run forever.

Back to your rear suspension. Try renewing the rubber bushes on the ARB. It's a cheap fix and would be my first port of call. Also check the coil springs. The V6 isn't a lightweight, so not unusual for the rear springs to break and lose and inch off the end. The links to the ARB do suffer, so that would be next on my list. You could also check the bump stops on the dampers.

At 100k, I doubt it's the bushes just yet, but it is 14 years old, so anything is possible.

Useful site here: http://www.audidiy.com/b5a4.html

The RS4 in B5 guise is a true classic.

You've got the same engine as me (AKN). Great engines, and will easily top 250k miles. Renew oil (Castrol Edge 5w30) and filter every 10k miles and the timing belt every 80k or 5 years along with a genuine Audi thermostat and water pump and it will run forever.

Back to your rear suspension. Try renewing the rubber bushes on the ARB. It's a cheap fix and would be my first port of call. Also check the coil springs. The V6 isn't a lightweight, so not unusual for the rear springs to break and lose and inch off the end. The links to the ARB do suffer, so that would be next on my list. You could also check the bump stops on the dampers.

At 100k, I doubt it's the bushes just yet, but it is 14 years old, so anything is possible.

Useful site here: http://www.audidiy.com/b5a4.html
hello and thanks for the reply, I do change the oil and filter on a regular basis and in the last six weeks and also changed the fuel filter I do not use Castrol so will chase that up and thik about using it in the future. Regarding the ARB I shall check that out and also the bump stops, the weather is not very good at the moment and left it a bit late to be checking under the car but shall defo get round to it, I like to get a 25ltr container of oil so shall order the Castrol in that quantitity, appreciate your reply and it all helps to keep on top of the problems cheers from Colin

Costco have a deal on Castrol Edge just now. Your V6 takes 5.2 litres of Amber nectar so load up while you can!

Costco have a deal on Castrol Edge just now. Your V6 takes 5.2 litres of Amber nectar so load up while you can!
hello just got 12x1ltr bottles of Castrol Edge for £70 so not bad at current prices, located the ARB bushes and they are cheap enough to buy and replace even if they are ok, cheers from Colin

Reactions: spartacus 68