Question about oil

testcard

Reaction score
When I picked up my A3 2.0TDI there was a bottle of Shell Helix Ultra in the boot - 0W-30, VW 504 00/507 00. I've always used Castrol Edge 5W-30 in my Golf GTDs - similar VW spec. Just wondering if it would be a bad idea to mix the two when topping up? I was surprised as I'd assumed Audi preferred Castrol.

Absolutely fine to mix , both great oils , arguably Shell might be better because of it's quicker cold start flow and gas dirived group 3 oil basestock .

Reactions: pburv, SportbackStu, testcard and 1 other person
Thanks for the quick reply. No issues from mixing slightly different viscosities?

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Yep as above no worries mixing those as they both meet the required spec.

When I hit 18k I'll be changing my oil to Castrol Edge Professional LongLife III 5W-30 which I think is currently VAG's flavour of the month as far as oil is concerned.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and testcard
Thanks for that. My 3 GTDs were all on long life service intervals and I always used Edge without any issues.

With being stage 1 I'm changing mine every 7k miles in between the annual service by Audi.

Reactions: pburv and davc
What grade are you using Rob, is it 5w-40 if you're doing interim changes?

I'm going to use this 5w-30 Castrol edge professional long life III :-

Reactions: pburv and davc
Good choice, I'm going to be putting Shell Helix Ultra Professional in mine.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Good choice, I'm going to be putting Shell Helix Ultra Professional in mine.

Can't go wrong there mate. It was a toss up between Helix and Edge for me but then a mate sorted me out with a one time bargain 6 litres for £36 so that was me sorted. Don't forget new sump plug gasket is recommended as the plug and sump are plastic if your doing it that way. I'll be pumping the old oil out the dipstick.

Reactions: davc, azibux1 and pburv
Can't go wrong there mate. It was a toss up between Helix and Edge for me but then a mate sorted me out with a one time bargain 6 litres for £36 so that was me sorted. Don't forget new sump plug gasket is recommended as the plug and sump are plastic if your doing it that way. I'll be pumping the old oil out the dipstick.
Don't forget to suck hard...lol:yum:

Reactions: davc, azibux1 and Rob2k68
Plastic !

No option for a magnetic sump plug then ?

615814_x800.jpg

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Gosh , I've always considered replacing for plastic a component that was metal for over a century an engineering backstep .