Question about oil

testcard

When I picked up my A3 2.0TDI there was a bottle of Shell Helix Ultra in the boot - 0W-30, VW 504 00/507 00. I've always used Castrol Edge 5W-30 in my Golf GTDs - similar VW spec. Just wondering if it would be a bad idea to mix the two when topping up? I was surprised as I'd assumed Audi preferred Castrol.

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
Yep as above no worries mixing those as they both meet the required spec.

When I hit 18k I'll be changing my oil to Castrol Edge Professional LongLife III 5W-30 which I think is currently VAG's flavour of the month as far as oil is concerned.

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
With being stage 1 I'm changing mine every 7k miles in between the annual service by Audi.

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
What grade are you using Rob, is it 5w-40 if you're doing interim changes?

I'm going to use this 5w-30 Castrol edge professional long life III :-

image.png

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
Good choice, I'm going to be putting Shell Helix Ultra Professional in mine.

Can't go wrong there mate. It was a toss up between Helix and Edge for me but then a mate sorted me out with a one time bargain 6 litres for £36 so that was me sorted. Don't forget new sump plug gasket is recommended as the plug and sump are plastic if your doing it that way. I'll be pumping the old oil out the dipstick.

pburv

Can't go wrong there mate. It was a toss up between Helix and Edge for me but then a mate sorted me out with a one time bargain 6 litres for £36 so that was me sorted. Don't forget new sump plug gasket is recommended as the plug and sump are plastic if your doing it that way. I'll be pumping the old oil out the dipstick.
Don't forget to suck hard...lol:yum:

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User