Question about front/rear dashcam fitting in an S3

CROCOP

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a BLACKVUE DR750S-2CH 2-CHANNEL dashcam, but don't know much about this kind of thing. Will it be possible to have this fitted and wired into an S3?

yep I have the same fitted in mine

Depends where you are, I maybe able to install for you.

I am considering the same thing although the recent experience of a colleague at work has made me think twice. Thieves smashed his window and stole the dash cams!!

Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and buy. VCDS, I'm in London, are you local?

I am considering the same thing although the recent experience of a colleague at work has made me think twice. Thieves smashed his window and stole the dash cams!!

Literally nothing is sacred. I hadn't even thought of that

Yeah but if you remove at night it removes protection & if you leave this is the risk, can't win but I guess it's kinda a deterrent in most scenarios.

If needing installer, give me a shout.

What would they record at night ?

With so many cams on the market there maybe ir night vision or surrounding flood lights, who knows, but some clients leave running.

You can switch of the recording LED’s and you can mount the camera up to the left of rear view camera, nobody will even notice it unless they stick there face within 5 inches of the windscreen.

Reactions: Rob2k68
i have this front an rear dash cam fitted on mine, its great quality tbh mate
plus i love the quick format button on it ;)

Glad to know it's got some good feedback on here about this cam. The reviews on YouTube seem great, but the Amazon reviews are hit and miss. I got it got 250 quid from gadgetsgadgetsgadgets - seemed a bargain compared to the Amazon price

Something worth noting is that if you are planning on installing a Dashcam for insurance purposes, most insurance companies will only accept the installation if its been completed via a professional, is hardwired and the cable runs are airbag safe.

For what its worth I have tested and installed most of the major single and dual channel systems our there and theres no clear winners as each have their good and bad points. The best of the "bad bunch" as I call it are the Thinkware F770 and F800 / F800 pro in my mind. Simple to use, built in power management, small enough to be hidden, great video quality and in the case of the F800 / F800 pro zero DAB radio interference.

Thinkware F770 Example:
27356144 1347792038699384 8803984019607956961 o 27356132 1347791892032732 4596984451180025992 o 26758661 1337655213046400 5764960762017732958 o

Thinkware F800 Pro Examples:

23509279 1295089830636272 4502311659579070209 o 23509486 1295089887302933 9208522436775955662 o

Blackvue DR750s Example:

23783493 1300962966715625 5988443384069247437 o 23926270 1300962930048962 8638824391155297111 o

Reactions: Jassyo06
Also if you use it for insurance purposes to save money, If the saving is minuscule then it’s not worth telling the insurance you have one installed. Worst case scenario is the camera fails to record in an event of an incident and the insurance can refuse to pay out since you have no video footage even if it wasn’t your fault.

Reactions: DJAlix
Also if you use it for insurance purposes to save money, If the saving is minuscule then it’s not worth telling the insurance you have one installed. Worst case scenario is the camera fails to record in an event of an incident and the insurance can refuse to pay out since you have no video footage even if it wasn’t your fault.
This is the way I play it even though I am running an F800 Pro. Same goes for the house alarms and CCTV.

Reactions: Shawn8V
This is the way I play it even though I am running an F800 Pro. Same goes for the house alarms and CCTV.

Speaking of which, you have any of them start/stop memory modules ? Could do with one of them.

The best of the "bad bunch" as I call it are the Thinkware F770 and F800 / F800 pro in my mind. Simple to use, built in power management, small enough to be hidden, great video quality and in the case of the F800 / F800 pro zero DAB radio interference.

Hi @DJAlix Ive got a BlackVue 650 2ch and because of the DAB radio interference when the rear camera is running I’m looking at buying a different camera. I was looking at the Thinkware F800 Pro due to it being discrete. You say it’s in the “best of the bad bunch” category...... can I ask why and what dual camera you’d class as good?

Hi @DJAlix Ive got a BlackVue 650 2ch and because of the DAB radio interference when the rear camera is running I’m looking at buying a different camera. I was looking at the Thinkware F800 Pro due to it being discrete. You say it’s in the “best of the bad bunch” category...... can I ask why and what dual camera you’d class as good?
All the current dash cams on the market, in my view, just plain suck. None are amazingly well thought out and none have been extensively quality tested. Each have their plus and minus points so it really depends what you are looking for. In my eyes the thinkware F800 Pro sucks less than all the others, and this is why I use it. My Maine issue with the system is the price, it’s £100 more than it should be. Other issues would be no independent volume controls for system and safety camera announcements, cable management, the way in which the status leds work, the cloud feature has been rushed to market and is almost useless. Plus points? Zero dab issues in my saloon. Built in power management just works. My install has been set and forget with zero issues in the 9 months I have been running it. Video quality is great and parking mode works without issue.

A good camera would be the thinkware F770. Better prices than the F800 pro and again I had zero dab issues while I was running it. In fact the only reason I changed to the f800 Pro was because I wanted to test the system so as to advise the installation service, otherwise I would prolly still be running it. Only issues I had with it were no independent volume controls for different announcements, and that the announcements were is a USA accent. Oh, and thr need to format your memory card every 2 weeks.

Yeh I agree none of them seem amazing. The areas I feel are weak are the build quality and the support for all of them. I’m just fed up with the BlackVue interference problem. I seem to be disconnecting the rear camera more and more and then when I get someone sitting on my backside have to mess about trying to plug the rear camera back in. The fact that you say you’ve had no DAB issues and - seems promising.

I was looking at the Thinkware F800 Pro and have seen that the RAC sell them on their website and fit them. My father in law works for them and gets 15% off and I was thinking I could sell the 2channel BlackVue 650 and Magic Pro device, so get the Thinkware (fitted as well) for about £300 (dunno if £100 for the BlackVue sounds reasonable).

You say the parking system works well, which seems promising, how does the battery / power management work? I know the power cell device is the better option but it’s even more cash!

Interesting topic. Trying to decide what to go for myself, couple of decent relevant videos I watched earlier this week...

One thing I would add, is that the Thinkware cameras are very fussy with SD cards. Some work fine, others dont. Even the same brand cards which appear identical can have issues between thinkware devices with some working straight away, or causing issues within a week/ month or so, and other cards just not working at all. This is especially true of the larger capacity cards (64GB and above ) and if you have a dual camera set up running with Parking mode. The only way to guarantee zero issues with the Thinkware cameras is to purchase the over priced Thinkware SD cards.

Jungle

One thing I would add, is that the Thinkware cameras are very fussy with SD cards. Some work fine, others dont. Even the same brand cards which appear identical can have issues between thinkware devices with some working straight away, or causing issues within a week/ month or so, and other cards just not working at all. This is especially true of the larger capacity cards (64GB and above ) and if you have a dual camera set up running with Parking mode. The only way to guarantee zero issues with the Thinkware cameras is to purchase the over priced Thinkware SD cards.

Jungle
This is a good point but as yet I have only experienced one SD card issue, with a card thinkware supplied actually, within a F770 system. I have installed a large number of think ware systems and always suggest that customers use the same cards I use which are the Lexar x633 range. I have been using my 128GB card across both the F770 and F800 Pro with no issues thus far, and use them in many other devices also.

build quality
The thinkware units a built / finished to the same quality as the Blackvue and Nextbase higher end units.

Never had any issues which needed reporting to be honest, but the thinkware website has a great deal of information available and given me everything I need as an installer and user thus far.

The fact that you say you’ve had no DAB issues and - seems promising
So far zero issues. Yes I am based in London but I do affair amount of traveling around the country with the projects I am invloved with and am yet to get a drop out with the thinkwares.

how does the battery / power management work?
Where Blackvue has the power magic pro the thinkware units actually have a power management function built in to the unit, configurable via the thinkware apps. Apps? Yes there are currently 2 different apps, one for each different system. In order to install the systems as drive recorders only you would only need to connect them to a switched power source. For parking mode you connect both a switched and a permanent live connection direct to the unit, activate park recording and its mode (motion or time lapse) and then set a cut-off voltage and also a cut off time. So basically the unit will be using your vehicles main battery. You could always use an external battery of which thinkware have their own offering but Cellink seem to have a popular modle. So for example this is how I have mine configured:

Vehicle Battery ONLY (for the moment)
  • Parking Recording On
  • Parking Mode = Motion Detection (Low setting)
  • 12.1v cut off point
  • 48 hours cut off point

Works perfect for me with the vehicle always starting, no errors when scanned via a diagnostic tool and I get 48 hours of parking recording with no issues thanks to the low power usage and my memory card size.

*Although I install these systems and always recommend them I DO NOT have any links to Thinkware, I don't even get a discount when buying them for customers as I have no desire to hold the required stock levels in order to get trade discounts.

The thinkware units a built / finished to the same quality as the Blackvue and Nextbase higher end units.

Never had any issues which needed reporting to be honest, but the thinkware website has a great deal of information available and given me everything I need as an installer and user thus far.

So far zero issues. Yes I am based in London but I do affair amount of traveling around the country with the projects I am invloved with and am yet to get a drop out with the thinkwares.

Where Blackvue has the power magic pro the thinkware units actually have a power management function built in to the unit, configurable via the thinkware apps. Apps? Yes there are currently 2 different apps, one for each different system. In order to install the systems as drive recorders only you would only need to connect them to a switched power source. For parking mode you connect both a switched and a permanent live connection direct to the unit, activate park recording and its mode (motion or time lapse) and then set a cut-off voltage and also a cut off time. So basically the unit will be using your vehicles main battery. You could always use an external battery of which thinkware have their own offering but Cellink seem to have a popular modle. So for example this is how I have mine configured:

Vehicle Battery ONLY (for the moment)

• Parking Recording On
  • Parking Mode = Motion Detection (Low setting)
  • 12.1v cut off point
  • 48 hours cut off point

Works perfect for me with the vehicle always starting, no errors when scanned via a diagnostic tool and I get 48 hours of parking recording with no issues thanks to the low power usage and my memory card size.

*Although I install these systems and always recommend them I DO NOT have any links to Thinkware, I don't even get a discount when buying them for customers as I have no desire to hold the required stock levels in order to get trade discounts.

I had the Audi UTR fitted to my new S3 (March 18) and that seems to work very well - It is expensive including installation but the dealer fitted it at PDI so get the extra years warranty on it and my thoughts were you break any trim you replace it.

Neat install and you can view the footage on your phone when parked or download any footage to your phone from in the car - Parking mode seems to work well and is activated if someone walks past the radar (you can set this distance) or if the car is hit it starts to record.

It overwrites old data apart from parking - not sure how often you have to format the card as yet - It was in the garage for a few days as I was using the works pool car and when I checked the footage it had stopped recording parking events for those days so assume battery drain must be minimal as well.

No interference detected either

Thumbs up at present

I had the Audi UTR fitted to my new S3 (March 18) and that seems to work very well - It is expensive including installation but the dealer fitted it at PDI so get the extra years warranty on it and my thoughts were you break any trim you replace it.

Neat install and you can view the footage on your phone when parked or download any footage to your phone from in the car - Parking mode seems to work well and is activated if someone walks past the radar (you can set this distance) or if the car is hit it starts to record.

It overwrites old data apart from parking - not sure how often you have to format the card as yet - It was in the garage for a few days as I was using the works pool car and when I checked the footage it had stopped recording parking events for those days so assume battery drain must be minimal as well.

No interference detected either

Thumbs up at present
The Audi UTR is basically a higher end Nextbase with an inflated price. They do what they say on the box but not great value for money and nothing special by way of features but they are capable units.

The Audi UTR is basically a higher end Nextbase with an inflated price. They do what they say on the box but not great value for money and nothing special by way of features but they are capable units.

It's Audi always going to be overpriced

I have front only and bought a Street Guardian SG9665GC v3, came with a micro SD card and reader, polarising lense and GPS sensor which I didn't connect.

All the current dash cams on the market, in my view, just plain suck. None are amazingly well thought out and none have been extensively quality tested. Each have their plus and minus points so it really depends what you are looking for. In my eyes the thinkware F800 Pro sucks less than all the others, and this is why I use it. My Maine issue with the system is the price, it’s £100 more than it should be. Other issues would be no independent volume controls for system and safety camera announcements, cable management, the way in which the status leds work, the cloud feature has been rushed to market and is almost useless. Plus points? Zero dab issues in my saloon. Built in power management just works. My install has been set and forget with zero issues in the 9 months I have been running it. Video quality is great and parking mode works without issue.

A good camera would be the thinkware F770. Better prices than the F800 pro and again I had zero dab issues while I was running it. In fact the only reason I changed to the f800 Pro was because I wanted to test the system so as to advise the installation service, otherwise I would prolly still be running it. Only issues I had with it were no independent volume controls for different announcements, and that the announcements were is a USA accent. Oh, and thr need to format your memory card every 2 weeks.
Hi, What memory card are you running. I have a thinkware f800 pro installed for 4 months with official 128gb card, with no issues.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hi, What memory card are you running. I have a thinkware f800 pro installed for 4 months with official 128gb card, with no issues.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
The thinkware units can be very fussy about which cards are used in them. Have had no issues with the supplied thinkware branded cards myself but know of one person who did with a 32gb card. I have used PNY class 10 cards with no issues but am currently running a lexar x633 128gb card. Highly recommend these cards and run them in all my devices. Early thinkware devices needed, and indeed prompted the user to complete a format ever 2 weeks in order to maintain data integrity or something. He new units, such as the f800 and pro, are touted as being “format free” and indeed I have never needed to hit the format button on my pro.

Reactions: matthew999
Out of interest, was looking to get a blackvue eventually or similar but...

I have a forward facing dash cam at the moment, will replace it with something more streamlined but for the meantime it does the job. How have people managed to run the cables in the headlining / pillars? I’ve borderline found it impossible and coming from a car where if you pushed gently the cable slid under the lining to the Audi that is so tight I can’t even get the cable to go under?

You definitely need a plastic tool to push the cable in there - it's tight, but that's what you get with good build quality. For the pillars, you need to undo the clips and pull them out a bit - especially at the top of the A pillar to make sure the cable goes behind the airbags, not in front.

Yeh I agree none of them seem amazing. The areas I feel are weak are the build quality and the support for all of them. I’m just fed up with the BlackVue interference problem. I seem to be disconnecting the rear camera more and more and then when I get someone sitting on my backside have to mess about trying to plug the rear camera back in. The fact that you say you’ve had no DAB issues and - seems promising.

I was looking at the Thinkware F800 Pro and have seen that the RAC sell them on their website and fit them. My father in law works for them and gets 15% off and I was thinking I could sell the 2channel BlackVue 650 and Magic Pro device, so get the Thinkware (fitted as well) for about £300 (dunno if £100 for the BlackVue sounds reasonable).

You say the parking system works well, which seems promising, how does the battery / power management work? I know the power cell device is the better option but it’s even more cash!
The parking system on this camera works well, but when the battery drops below a preset voltage, the camera shuts off, so as to not drain your battery so therefor not 100% reliable when parked. I have had this camera, F800 pro installed in my A3 front and rear and am very pleased with it, I just wish that it could be more integrated with the car, i:e fixed someway to the rear view mirror housing and not stuck to the glass. perhaps in the future car manufacturers will integrate cameras in cars.

Out of interest, was looking to get a blackvue eventually or similar but...

I have a forward facing dash cam at the moment, will replace it with something more streamlined but for the meantime it does the job. How have people managed to run the cables in the headlining / pillars? I’ve borderline found it impossible and coming from a car where if you pushed gently the cable slid under the lining to the Audi that is so tight I can’t even get the cable to go under?

I looked at the units with the replacement trim that fit under the rear view mirror but ended up buying a Blueskysea B1W. Nice and discrete little cylinder, very difficult to spot from outside the car, no screen, view and set up via bluetooth, £55 all in including 32G Micro SD card and hardwire kit.
I wasn't looking forward to tucking the wires behind the trim but bought a set of nylon trim removal tools and it was a doddle. I wired to the switched supply as I wanted it to record whilst driving then switch off to avoid knackering the battery.
It's been fitted three months now and works perfectly.