Question about alloy wheel repairs

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
How do they do it? Do they use some sort of "filler" or a metal substitute?

If its just some sort of filler then I'll do it myself, if its something a little more permanent then I'll pay.....

Cheers!!!

I guess what I am asking is if I have this repair done, is it all going to crumble and need doing again when I have the tyres replaced?

No not at all. The finish is usually very good and is as strong as the alloy. It does depend how bad the wheel is though if they can do it.

Be careful with who you ask to refurb your alloy! Some companies advertise as refurbishers but what they actually do is just sand down the damaged area and then spray it. This is okay and looks great but if the damaged area is quite large or deep then the alloy itself can actually look out of shape because it has been sanded down and therefore lost the lip!
If you have only a minor area then you will be okay but if it is a bad kerbage and deep then ideally you need a piece welding into the alloy and then sanding down. Some companies advertise as 'refurbishers' but really they are 'refinishers' The finish is very good either way but I would be careful when cleaning the alloy in future as chemicals can damage the paint finish, it won`t probably be as good as the original was. I speak from experience, I`ve seen chemicals damage alloys before

HTH

when I did mine i sanded the area a little then used normal body filler to build it back up.
3 years on and its still looking like new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

be careful though, you would be suprized how quickly the metal sands down, wheels are very soft.

hi this was posted before however i couldnt find the link

Unless you have comps or RS4 / RS6 replica alloys then you can order Avus spray paint that is a really good match. You can't get it in a touch up pen. It comes with a tin of lacquer as well.

Part no. LLS OM6 Z17

Think it is about 11 quid from the Audi dealers.

Just spray a bit into the cap and use a tooth pick to touch up small chips.

i also have a useful link to show you how someone else has done this DIY

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

HTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif