Question about adding a Sub and Amp to RNS-e with Bose...

mehtaman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 15" Kicker L7 Sub and a Directed 2400 Amp knocking around at home from a previous car.

I thought I could fight the temptation of adding a sub to my car but its starting to get the upper hand...

I would like to know if anyone can point me to some good and clear How-To's with regards to fitting the Amp and Sub to the car?

My car is an Audi B7 with the RNS-e headunit + bose speaker system.

Another question is, can the RNS-e be used with aftermarket equipment or do I have to change my Head Unit as well?

Thanks
:)

Yes you can. You will need to run a fused power cable for the amp, but you can pick up the other feeds from the amp in the rear of the car. Easiest way would be to unplug the Bose sub and connect using the high level input on the amp, not perfect but very easy. Otherwise you'll need to tap the wiring loom on the amp to get the rear pre-outs and 12v remote trigger. I don't have the Bose pinouts for the B7 but someone may have. Here are the ones I have:
bose_pinout32pinv2.jpg

B6-B7bose_amp_pinout_25pin-1.jpg

In theory you should have the 25 pin version.
Cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy, that will come in use, however me and wire diagrams just don't go together...

Am I right in understanding that there is a spare gromit under the ECU cover in which I can run a fused 0-Gauge cable to the rear of the car?
From there I will have to tap into the 25-Pin connector (ports 1, 13, 14 & 25) to get the required feeds.

Thanks again :)

I'd like to do the same sort of thing so would be awesome you keep us all up to date on your progress? That would be awesome! :)

So I am not the only one struggling to find a clear 'How-To' about adding some extra audio to a standard system :shrug:.
I can find a lot of custom build threads but the last thing I want to do is rip out all the interior of the car just to uprate cables and speakers.

I have dropped an email to a local car audio company to see if they are willing to give some free advice.
They have done a number of Audi installs, such as a B7 Avant, RS4 and R8... fingers crossed I hear back and its not a sales call.

Zero gauge? - unless you are using Leftfields PA system, 4 gauge will be more than adequate. Zero gauge will be impossible to run anywhere and totally OTT
But yes there is a grommet in the rubber boot going to the ECU that you can run a more modest cable through into the ECU and down into the drivers footwell

Haha... I was reading up on something else while replying earlier, yes I have a roll of 4 gauge waiting to power the Amp :)

I have a 2010 model Rns-e and am wanting to install a subwoofer (in the boot) and upgrade speakers if possible.

It's not the Bose system so I'm not sure if it's possible. Also if anyone could help and let me know a company that can do it, I'm in Sheffield but don't mind traveling up to 50miles