Question about A1 Sportback 2015 1.4 CoD TFSI Sline - Jerkiness when starting off from stationary

kevz65

Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife recently purchased a second hand A1 Sportback TFSI 1.4 CoD.
I myself have a Audi S4 B9 which is lovely and smooth - don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect the A1 to be as smooth but i would still expect it to be fairly refined, being an Audi.

Something we have found quite noticeable is when you stop at a traffic light or are starting off from stationary. You release the brake pedal and hit the accelerator - the car kind of jerks forward - unless you are very gentle on the accelerator. Is this normal? Even with the normal force on the accelerator (i.e. I am not trying to floor it) it is quite noticable. The 'jerk' or 'jolt' forward isn't massive by any means, it just doesn't feel as refined as the A4 (i fully appreciate the A4 has a bigger engine). There is no shuddering or anything, just a slight jolt.
I have also noticed it is a bit more noticable when stop start is engaged - e.g. the engine switches on - there is a slight delay when I take my foot off the brake and i hit the accelerator the car then turns on at that point causing a jerk.

Initially i just put this down to the A1 being a smaller car and having a more sensative accelerator pedal - but I am starting to wonder if this is normal?

Any checks i can do? Does it sound normal?

It's worth checking out further,

The A1 is a lighter car so I would expect you to feel transmission jolts a bit more,

Are we speaking about a manual or automatic?

The auto box can be subject to failure and it does begin with a jolt when starting off, it will only be noticeable after 20 minutes and you will look like a complete learner driver, you will feel as if the car stalled, this was much more of a problem in the first 6 speed DSG boxes, and much improved on the 7,

A good test is to reverse up a steep hill, if you feel like a kangaroo it could be the first signs of it,

However, if you are expecting Rolls Royce levels of refinement it may just be nothing, it's a little city car after all