Quattros talk to me

Just to clarify, I not arguing against it. I just saying is it really worth all the trouble. Quattro on a diesel car is not a must, modded or not. An audi S3 on the other hand sure. I mean the Focus RS does just fine without it. I have owned Audi A5 quattro for like 2 years. My english may not be up to par with yours, but saying "personally I wouldn't go back to fwd after having Quattro" to me means I will never buy a fwd car ever again, audi or otherwise

I'd say there's more call for Quattro on a diesel than on a petrol since they generally run a lot more torque! I had the 170Tdi Quattro and it was amazing off of roundabouts in the wet. Could easily outrun Type-Rs and VXRs in the wet (to legal speeds...) so it shows the benifit of having the AWD.

And although it isn't an A3, I'd say that having Quattro on my A4 just now is worthwhile as it's running about 600Nm and would easily shred only two driven tyres pretty quickly! ;)

Last edited:
I would personally like a Quattro for my next car. It's not just about the performance/traction improvement, it's also about getting to work in snow/ice conditions.

Ive struggled a few times in the recent winters especially up hill in my fwd Audi and I do always make it but I just see quattros cruising past me no hassle. I could get winter tyres but then there is the hassle of changing them over and the Quattro is an all rounder in snow/ice/rain/sun/greasy condition etc

Just personal preference

I would personally like a Quattro for my next car. It's not just about the performance/traction improvement, it's also about getting to work in snow/ice conditions.

Ive struggled a few times in the recent winters especially up hill in my fwd Audi and I do always make it but I just see quattros cruising past me no hassle. I could get winter tyres but then there is the hassle of changing them over and the Quattro is an all rounder in snow/ice/rain/sun/greasy condition etc

Just personal preference

Maybe only a personal preference but I would agree! Never had any issues in my A3 quattro when we had the bad snow in 2010.

Still no update as of yet
hoping no news is good news

Hi guys this is the reply I got today I think he's talking **** personally

To realistically do a deal, your car would be worth £10k, but to get the car you are looking for you would need to up your budget to 4-5k, pre 08 are within yur budget but after 08 there is no chance. Still on it though.

In terms of pricing My Sport Back 170 s-line quattro set me back 15k.
It's an 8P2 on a '57' Plate, Registered December 2007.
It was bought from Aberdeen Audi though.
Came with FASH, 39800 miles on it with HIDS/Tints/18" Split Rims and a few other toys.
Just for a guide more than anything.
I'm sure I will be told I was ripped off, but I don't care.

Last edited:
In terms of pricing My Sport Back 170 s-line quattro set me back 15k.
It was bought from Aberdeen Audi though.
Came with FASH, 39800 miles on it with HIDS/Tints/18" Split Rims and a few other toys.
Just for a guide more than anything.
I'm sure I will be told I was ripped off, but I don't care.

What year?

Ah yes, the all important bit i missed out Idiot!
I'll update it.
Registered December 2007 so a '57' 8P2

I mean the Focus RS does just fine without it.

:laugh:

Pretty much the absolute worst car you could pick to bestow the virtues of a fwd car

laugh.gif

The RS meaning was changed to "Rarely steers" in this case.

With a decent alignment they're a noggin better but still one of the worst cars i've driven with regards to torque steer.

Power is NOTHING without control!

On average Britain has 190 wet days a year. Sometimes more.

I get to drive a family members A3 170TDI FWD quite regularly and lets just say I won't be buying a non Halex/Quattro car anytime soon.

Reactions: nally
The Haldex system is not THAT bad on it's own.

When put together with the ESP system though it's absolutely disgusting that a company would put out 2 fundamentally flawed systems.
With ESP on the Hapdex system is pretty much useless, as it cuts the power to a dangerous degree wayyyyyyyyy before the Haldex is able to claw back traction.

It's also slow.
Drive a Audi with a proper 4wd system then jump into a Haldex powered car and you soon start banging your head against the steering wheel.
The inconsistency and speed on which the Haldex system transfers power is pretty terrible.

How do I work out how much per year a car will cost me to runn I.e miles per year devided by the combined mpg ??
not sure how to do it.

quattro uptate they have offered me £ 10500 for mine still not found me a car.

There's a few cars I am looking at on atro trader they are black edition quattros but they don't say Quattro on grille or rear. But on a car check they come up as 2wd ?

Did the BE quattros still have the grille badges

I thought they improved the speed of response in the Gen IV Haldex (facelift cars?)

They did, but if you drive on loose surfaces or push the car on a track and even a driver of my modest talents can easily notice the difference.

Really depends on what you want out of a car and your expectations and experience.
Jump from a fwd car and the Quattro will feel fantastic, jump from a Evo, WRX etc and it will feel slow laggy and poor.

There's a few cars I am looking at on atro trader they are black edition quattros but they don't say Quattro on grille or rear. But on a car check they come up as 2wd ?

Did the BE quattros still have the grille badges

My 10 plate did. It was there instead of the S-Line badge...

Struggling to find one in my budget at the miniute. ( most don't have drl's and I won't get one without them )

I had a 2006 2.0T quattro and now have a 2010 S3.

The former car was a manual and running the Gen 2 Haldex, whereas I believe that the post-08 facelift cars (A3 and S3) run the Gen 4. In use, the Gen 4 is significantly superior.

At the time, I bought the 2.0T quattro because it had the spec I wanted - rather than because of the quattro drivetrain. It proved to be one of the most useful "add ons" I've come across and gives you real added confidence in the wet and ice. Obviously it won't help you stop any quicker in those conditions, but it did mean that I could reach family over the winters of 2009 and 2010 where I wouldn't have been able to in a 2WD car.

That said, in the 2.0T with Gen 2, the Haldex felt slow to react (even in isolation) and a little agricultural. The Gen 4 in the S3 feels much smoother and quick-witted on the other hand; you can't feel it shuffle the power around and it reads your driving a lot better. I think Gen 4 also does some other useful things like engaging the rear wheels to a greater degree when doing standing starts, rather than waiting for wheel spin. Basically, it feels like it's working with you (Gen 4) than occasionally against you (Gen 2).

In short, I'd definitely buy a newer A3 / S3 with Gen 4 Haldex, or even one with Gen 2 - but given that the cost to change any car is going to be high, I'd make sure that the quattro car had something else to draw you in, e.g. more spec, better colour etc.

The Gen 4 in the S3 feels much smoother and quick-witted on the other hand; you can't feel it shuffle the power around and it reads your driving a lot better. I think Gen 4 also does some other useful things like engaging the rear wheels to a greater degree when doing standing starts, rather than waiting for wheel spin. Basically, it feels like it's working with you (Gen 4) than occasionally against you (Gen 2).

Noticed this straight away, MY12 felt obviously different from my previous MY07, as if there was more `pushing` from the rear on acceleration. Much prefer it.

Noticed this straight away, MY12 felt obviously different from my previous MY07, as if there was more `pushing` from the rear on acceleration. Much prefer it.
so what gen would the my 08 be ( 8p3 facelift )