Quattro

Schuey

Reaction score
Seeing videos like this confirm why I like Quattro.

Poor guy C63 is a nice car & this is no doubt an expensive repair of his pride & joy.

So the lesson is this....... Pay the extra £30/month for Quattro :indecisiveness:

How does this thread relate to an A3? Simple, I'm off to pick up mine right now :)

Reactions: Ceho
Never underestimate the power of a cretin to f@#k up.

There are plenty of people out there capable of wrapping anything round a tree, quattro or not.

Yes, I don't think the lesson is anything to do with 4 wheel drive. Quite happy to see a muppet get what they deserve

That car was on a flatbed and gone within 5 minutes of the accident. Obviously didn't want the coppers to get involved!

What was actually going on there? Seemed like they were all just driving round and round the same little stretch of road??

Ohhh how embarrassing would that be???

This shows a good test of Quattro

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceho
Bet he had the ESP off.....

C63 driver = tw@t :keule:

Good job he never hit a pedestrian :think:

Funny how all the spectators ran over to see the extent of the damage :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Think the spectators are just as much idiots as the drivers standing around, if they get hit no one to blame apart from themselves.

Not really much to do with quattro, stupid application of a very powerful accelerator. Could easily happen in a quattro.

Oh Dear he should of bought a RS5 not a C63.
Have to agree - for that sort of power Quattro would be better.

"Quattro, better in all conditions, when you want to drive like an idiot!" :)

Seeing videos like this confirm why I like Quattro.

Poor guy C63 is a nice car & this is no doubt an expensive repair of his pride & joy.

So the lesson is this....... Pay the extra £30/month for Quattro :indecisiveness:

How does this thread relate to an A3? Simple, I'm off to pick up mine right now :)

Another chap at the meet crashed his dads 2014 XF-RS!

That's all fine, but just don't get carried away and think that 4 wheel drive cars overcome the laws of physics.......
especially when braking on water, snow and ice.

You can get complacent with quattro.

Not really much to do with quattro, stupid application of a very powerful accelerator. Could easily happen in a quattro.

But the RS4 in front stayed on the road :lick: :)

On a like for like basis though Quattro would have dealt with that situation with minimal driver intervention.

Nope.

quattro does not necessarily give you enhanced grip, only better traction.

PS: A3/S3 doesn't have "proper" quattro, we have Haldex ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Daz Auto
Nope.

quattro does not necessarily give you enhanced grip, only better traction.

PS: A3/S3 doesn't have "proper" quattro, we have Haldex ;)

Could all the Quattro :angrymod: please report to their nearest Mercedes dealer :):undwech:

:busted cop:

Branding Police here:

quattro is always with a small "q"

Rolls-Royce is always hyphenated

Mercedes-Benz is always hyphenated

Land-Rover used to be hyphenated, but not any more

Sainsbury's always has an apostrophe (except when they use it as a web address)

McDonald's always has an apostrophe (except when they use it as a web address)

Waterstones have recently and incorrectly dropped their apostrophe on branding

Marks & Spencer has no "s" nor apostrophe on the end

/geek

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulboy, Blackwhite and steverobertsbbc

Branding Police here:

Thanks. By the way you missed out a full stop after the word in end in your last sentence.

Reactions: Pulp84

Branding Police here:

/geek

Your forgot - Audi, always with a capital A ;) :D

Just shows Money can't get you driving skills.

MOST people can drive a Quattro fast........ Only the talented can drive RWD Mercs and BMW's fast. I don't class myself as an awesome driver , I'm half decent, but I've had a lot of RWD fast cars and many a time have nearly lost it in situations where my s3 or old a3 Quattro wouldn't of battered an eye lid.

That said I'm privileged enough to have been in a few 55 and 63 amg' s and the raw power they possess with traction off is ridiculous on the road , should only be used on track , you are always a nats cok away from binning it into a ditch . It depends what you want in a car , for me a like the sense of danger and fear that I could lose it exiting a bend sideways hence why I love the m3 but if a car was my daily , then I would choose Quattro performance cars all day long!

Sean

Just so its said. "Quattro" is just a marketing term. "Quattro" in the A4 is not the same as "Quattro" in the A3. In the A3 you get a Haldex 5 unit which is identical to what is used in numerous other cars from various brands from Volvo to VW. Its just bugs me when people say that Quattro is so awesome, when, on the A3 at least, its pretty much the same as you get in other cars. The A4 and Audi's larger cars have a Torsen unit which again is completely different from Haldex.

That said, I the Haldex unit works really well in my A3. :)

... and the R8 uses a different system again 'viscous coupling'. All 3 systems are marketed as quattro. Quattro is Italian for 4, which I guess rolls of the tongue better than the German vier.

Reactions: veeeight
^ This is indeed correct, the R8 is essential a rear biased car, with 15 to 30% torque (note torque, not drive, an important distinction) available at the front wheels if needed.

This is a S3 Haldex driver experiencing lift-off oversteer. A brown trouser moment.

Just shows Money can't get you driving skills.

MOST people can drive a Quattro fast........ Only the talented can drive RWD Mercs and BMW's fast. I don't class myself as an awesome driver , I'm half decent, but I've had a lot of RWD fast cars and many a time have nearly lost it in situations where my s3 or old a3 Quattro wouldn't of battered an eye lid.

Sean

I agree, the problem was the lack of skill shown by the driver. If you are lead-footed enough you can put any car off the road, irrespective of the level of electronics and drive available.

As an aside, in our nanny state down under every second car would have been one of these

Upload 2014 10 12 8 45 18

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-12_8-27-33.png
    upload_2014-10-12_8-27-33.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
I agree, the problem was the lack of skill shown by the driver. If you are lead-footed enough you can put any car off the road, irrespective of the level of electronics and drive available.

As an aside, in our nanny state down under every second car would have been one of these

View attachment 42199

Not a bad thing, IMO there's not enough police patrolling the roads of the UK.