Quattro Transmission failure

666markyboy

Reaction score
Hi All, trying to diagnose a problem with my lads car , formally my car

Its a 2011 2.0 Tdi Avant quattro with a 6 speed manual gearbox and it seems to have lost all drive, at first he thought the clutch
had failed , but looking at it today the pedal feels fine and as you lift it you can kind of determine a biting point at which point
a grinding noise can be heard, if you choose a different higher gear then the pitch of the grinding becomes higher so this leads me to think
the clutch is working, the Gearbox is working, but when it comes to output something pretty major has failed, are there any checks i can make ?
has anyone had any similar problems ? I thought this setup was pretty bulletproof and am surprised at such a major transmission failure on a
lowly Tdi the car has done around 155K so a lot but shouldn't really be an issue and had no whining or noises , it had a slight judder when
setting off in 1st but it's done that for years even back when I had it and I'm led to believe that's a common issue on these cars

any help would be appreciated on what looks like is going to get very expensive :(

Regards Mark

You really need to get it on ramps. Probably a clutch and flywheel issue if you have zero drive, but sounds catastrophic if getting a grinding noise.

I’m surprised too at 155k, keep us posted.

DMF has blown up. The secondary mass has separated from the primary mass, I won't be surprised if you have a hole in your gearbox.

If I remember rightly. There is a small cover on the bell housing which gives you access the flywheel bolts. You might be able to have a look in there and get an idea if there is an issue with clutch and flywheel. You need to take the box out anyway tho.

OK, so update , apparently a front driveshaft had failed ,but why would the diffs not lock and still give drive to the other wheels ? I thought that was whole point of the quattro system

Reactions: spartacus 68
That's good news, considering it could have been worse. I repaired a CV joint on a front-wheel drive Audi and the drive shaft wasn't located properly and I had no drive. Only thing I can assume on a quattro is the prop-shaft to the rear diff comes from the front diff and gear box and if a damaged drive shaft at one corner has no torque the wheel will act as an open diff, or am I talking nonsense?

I would have thought the rear diff would have still got power straight from the transmission? Unless, could the half shaft failing (jammed?) prevent the Side Shaft and Spur Pinion from turning and subsequently the transmission and therefore drive to the rear diff as well?