Quattro tech question?????

PeteA7S/Back

Reaction score
Right guys and girls, long one but bare with me. Ever since I had my A6 Avant quattro and now moved onto my A7 quattro ive always been on the understanding that quattro's are set up square and should always stay square and level. By that I mean that tyres are generally bought in 4's where possible or 2's but within a certain limit etc. Then you get to the wheels, by square I mean that the general advice is that the offset should be the same front and rear and not staggered i.e no deep dish offset on the rears. Im on the understanding that its to do with the quattro system but Im asking the question of why its so important or if its even a valid point on modern quattro's? Can you run different offset wheels front to rear or have spacers to fill the arches of different thicknesses front to rear. If someone could enlighten me as to wether im making sense or explain why its a important that would be great because I would assume that the power goes to all four wheels regardless of wheels size and spacing but does it affect the rotating speed of the driveshafts somehow if the wheels are further away from the diff's?

The only thing quattro is really worried about is the rolling circumference of the wheel/tyre combo. If all four are within a small percentage then it doesn't matter which offset, tyre width etc you put on the car. Spacers can increase the load on the driveshaft but not the rotation speed.