Quattro system, When does it work??

jk_s3

Reaction score
hi guys, im new on here, just bought myself and s3 about 3 weeks ago, will post some pics up soon when i get chance to clean it properly,

anyway the question is how do i know when the quattro system actually comes into play? is it when the esp light flashes on the dash that its working or does it not show anything sign and just comes in and out on it own?

thanks guys, great forum.

It just kicks in when needed, no lights on to tell you its kicked in
The ESP flashes when its detected traction loss and the traction control is helping out

Last edited:
Just give it a good roastin round a few roundabouts you will soon feel it kick in lol.... All within the speed limit of course.... We don't condone breaking the law:laugh:

usually whn ur booting it that had that you feel the back of the car come out, thats whn its shifted too much power but dont worry about that itll sort itself out, the best ive had out of the quattro system is a 4wheel drift in the clear dry conditions doing 65-70 around waterside round about..... then u really feel the quattro system comming into play, leaves scoobys and evos for dead around those bendy bits....

Do any of the quattro systems run permantly?

On the A4's yes .. A3's, S3's it kicks in when the front wheels start to loose traction... if it wasn't working in an S3 you would have a lot of wheel spin... to see what it would be like without quattro engaging pull the handbrake on one notch so that the light comes on on the dash then give it a full bore launch in 1st gear

then u really feel the quattro system comming into play, leaves scoobys and evos for dead around those bendy bits....

Sorry to question your integrity, but have you ever driven an Evo or Scooby? The quattro system on an S3 is **** in comparison to the 4WD systems these Jap cars are running. I have 2 S3's, both with sorted suspension and one running Haldex Performance controller, and I have had the opportunity to drive quite a few Evo 6/7/8 and the odd Scooby STI, I can honestly say non of my S3's would stand a chance, not unless it was a crap driver driving the Jap machine. It's even worse in the wet, they would just drive away! :racer:

Cool thanks for that. SO what a decent way to test the quattro sytem, just an agressive start in first?

Find a golf course avoid the bunkers you will see work then

to notice the diffrence best way is to pull out the fuse for the haldex on the fuse panel on the side of the dash and it will drive in front wheel drive mode only!!!

I once read that once the front wheels lose grip, it takes an 1/8th of a turn of the wheel until the power is transfered to the rear... Which is hellish fast. If you launch it properly you feel the power transfer

come drive my front wheel drive A3 and feel the sucker wheel spin with its mighty 150bhp. then you'll know that yours works fine! its the main thing putting me off putting more power through it really.

great info guys, thanks, i tried a little round about test yesterday ;) but im a bit of a wimp in it at the moment, still getting used to it.