Quattro - puncture then replace both tyres?

Reaction score
When deciding to buy an A3 1.8 TFSI Quattro, I am advised that if I have to change a front tyre due to a puncture, it is advisable to change both front tyres at the same time? This is a recommendation if you have 4 wheel drive. Has anyone else had to do this, as I appear to get a puncture once a year, an expensive item for two tyres?

If the tyres are of 2mm and 7mm then yes you would hang them both, but if they are close to the same mm then all should be okay the next is to check the rotation from front and rear this may also help you out with the rotation say what the manual says to prevent differential issues.

I remember with the old Cavalier 4x4 turbos we had to change all 4 as a set for the same reason. Over long distance the number of rotations differs and winds up the diff and can damage it.

MouseGB
You will always have a % of differential counts naturally with corners and roundaouts jack up our car at one corner and try and turn the wheel as I k ow I have no issue with my Q5

Just had a call back from Audi Customer Services. Apparently with the new Audi A3 Quattros, the system makes allowances for tyre wear, so no need to replace both tyres on the same axle following a puncture when both tyres are part worn.

The diff will handle it fine, that's what they do. But to be fair on my Impreza if both tyres are well worn I would always replace both or all 4 as I would get a better deal on 2 or 4 tyres than I would on 1 but it also kept the handling up to scratch so all wheels would grip as well as each other. ;)
But it comes down to common sense really and just look at the other tyres and think "will I need to replace them soon or not?"

Reactions: Little Red Monster
Had a puncture on the nearside front of the S3 sportback I had - replaced just that tyre and no problems at all. The car had done 7,000 miles at the time. I guess it depends on the tread depth. I would actually ask for a definition of 'part worn' as that could mean anything.

Reactions: Little Red Monster