Quattro or V6 ?

craigomills

Reaction score
Choosing a new company car. Choices are A4 2.0 190 Quattro TDI Avant or the 3.0 v6 218 Avant non quattro. Coming from a XC60 190 D4. Struggling to decide if the quattro is worth it or should i get the V6 in 2wd.

Quattro 100%.. grip n go

Plus with a relatively cheap tuning box you'll have around 250bhp on tap

Audi don't do non quattro v6s on the B9

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170521-160834.png
    Screenshot_20170521-160834.png
    388.2 KB · Views: 172
Audi don't do non quattro v6s on the B9

They do non Quattro V6 218PS, not the full fat 272PS version...

Getting back to the question, a hard one to answer, the vast majority of the time you'll probably not really need the Quattro, when you do you'll be glad you have it, conversely the V6 diesel sounds much nicer all the time than the 4cylinder.

We solved that by going for the 218 Quattro, no help I know if you have to choose between, either way it's a good choice.

Reactions: scotty76
Is this a MY18 addition? Can't ever remember seeing that option being there before

I agree I have the V6 quattro and if i had to lose one it'd definitely be Quattro. Its handy but think i could live without it. The V6 on the other hand, has more power, sounds better, is quieter at speed and the mpg is still in the same ball park as the 2litre 190. I'm guessing you do a lot of driving so get the 2wd V6

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Choosing a new company car. Choices are A4 2.0 190 Quattro TDI Avant or the 3.0 v6 218 Avant non quattro. Coming from a XC60 190 D4. Struggling to decide if the quattro is worth it or should i get the V6 in 2wd.

I'd much rather have the 190 quattro all day.

What is the point of a V6 engine, guzzling more fuel, for no benefit? You can whip a tuning box on for 230-250 bhp, get involved.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Is this a MY18 addition? Can't ever remember seeing that option being there before

Definitely been there since B9 was introduced, we ordered our 3.0 218 Quattro in Jan 2016 and it was model below then (and still is).

I'd much rather have the 190 quattro all day.

What is the point of a V6 engine, guzzling more fuel, for no benefit? You can whip a tuning box on for 230-250 bhp, get involved.

The V6 non-quattro is a bit faster and also slightly more economically than the 2.0 190 TDI Quattro (aside from on the 19" wheels).

Guess the point is the V6 is its much smoother and sounds soooo much nicer than the 4 cylinder diesel, before we ordered ours (which is a 218Q) we had an extended test in a 2.0TDi 190 Q and a 3.0TDi 272 (which the engine in a 218 is essentially a de-tuned version of) and as nice as the 4cylinder car is I'm very glad we went for the V6.

Horses for courses.

Below taken from A4 brochure (original one not MY2018)

A4 data

Last edited:
What is the point of a V6 engine, guzzling more fuel, for no benefit?

The published figures for the 2.0TDI Quattro versus the 218 FWD are identical. i.e. CO2 on 218FWD is very slightly less than the 2.0TDIq,

Benefit is the smoothness of the V6 over the 4 and a slightly wider torque curve. However personally I wanted quattro so accepted the slight economy penalty and extra cost.

I've not driven a 190 B9 A4 so can only compare to the 184 TDI A3 quattro i had for 2 years and a B8.5 2.0 TDIq I test drove. Having run two previius 3.0 TDis A4s I missed the smoothness. As always OP needs to try and test drive a 218 to see for themselves.

Jeez. I'm struggling to make my mind up. I love the idea of the quattro and would probably use it when camping on rough fields etc but is the power difference between the 190 and V6 really that much different?

Jeez. I'm struggling to make my mind up. I love the idea of the quattro and would probably use it when camping on rough fields etc but is the power difference between the 190 and V6 really that much different?

As you know there's only 28PS difference in power between them, but as has been highlighted the V6 3.0TDi does sound much nicer than the 4 cylinder 2.0TDi, the only way you can really make your mind up is to get an extended test in both, although most dealers seem to struggle to have a 3.0 218 demonstrator, maybe try and find a 2nd hand one for sale in an Audi dealer near to you if that proves to be the case and pretend you're interested in it to get a test drive.

It's a great car whichever one you end choosing...

Good luck.

Reactions: craigomills
Dont think there'll be much difference power wise, both have the same amount of tourque (400nm) the V6 just has more of it ready on the lower end so makes for a better criuser. @NickGun is right though test drive both if you can before you decide. For me Quattro is a bonus, it's one of those things that im glad I have but could live without. Power/refinement were my priorities. I think i know what you're leaning towards so I'd go with Quattro if you think you're going to get the most out of it. (First world problems haha.)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Problem is I am coming from a FWD XC60 with 190 bhp. Just want my next car to be an upgrade.

You probably won't notice the Quattro but you will notice the sweet sounding v6 every time you press the throttle ....

However, the Quattro is arguably more useful in that it's a bit safer and could be used in that rare occasion of snow or muddy field ....

Had a quote come through. Looking at an Ibis White Avant 190 Quattro with privacy glass and tow bar. Any one got any pics of their Ibis before I order one?

I would imagine this is even more pronounced on a diesel, but on my old 2.0TFSI FWD the wheel spin drove me nuts, and that was just 180PS.

Now I have an S5 with quattro, I would really struggle to go back to FWD.

So your choice is simple...an S4 :p

Reactions: A4B9 and DarGri
I would imagine this is even more pronounced on a diesel, but on my old 2.0TFSI FWD the wheel spin drove me nuts, and that was just 180PS.

Now I have an S5 with quattro, I would really struggle to go back to FWD.

So your choice is simple...an S4 :p

I should echo this, on the FWD 8/8.5 with the Multitronic box, the shift/takeoff lag was intolerable and I regretted not getting Quattro almost daily.

V6 or 4pot who cares, if you can, test drive bot the FWD and the Quattro for a few days each.