quattro influence?

Options:

• I have quattro now and my next car must have it (or a version of 4WD).

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • I have quattro now, but I'm not bothered if my next car doesn't have it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • I'd never have it again!

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don't have it now but I want it on my next car.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I don't have it now and I'm not bothered if my next car doesn't have it.

Votes: 16 21.9%

• Total voters
True in very cold weather, although not so true in good weather. You can also fit winter tyres to any car after buying it, it's not so easy trying to retrofit Quattro.
Ultimately, the better all round option is to have Quattro if you don't mind the additional cost and then swap between winter & summer wheels.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
I voted for the 1st option.

OT: Is it true that GM vehicles are rare to spot over there in the UK?

New-Chevy-Impala-Front-View.jpg

Black-4x4-4WD-2016-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LTZ-image-1.jpg

2016_gmc_yukon_denali-pic-4301315500253819936-1600x1200.jpeg

2015_cadillac_escalade-pic-1799496154596373851-1600x1200.jpeg

001chevzl1.jpg

2016-chevrolet-camaro-convertible-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-660236-s-original.jpg

2017-chevy-covette-grand-sport-carwhizz-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
I voted for the 1st option.

OT: Is it true that GM vehicles are rare to spot over there in the UK?

New-Chevy-Impala-Front-View.jpg

Black-4x4-4WD-2016-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LTZ-image-1.jpg

2016_gmc_yukon_denali-pic-4301315500253819936-1600x1200.jpeg

2015_cadillac_escalade-pic-1799496154596373851-1600x1200.jpeg

001chevzl1.jpg

2016-chevrolet-camaro-convertible-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-660236-s-original.jpg

2017-chevy-covette-grand-sport-carwhizz-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, they're certainly not a common sight here mate. See the odd Mustang.

As far as the survey I voted for AWD, all day and all of the night lol

Never felt so assured in a car in my driving life. Never lost grip in the dry and only a couple of times in the wet, pulling out slightly too rapidly from junctions.

........and like Dave probably only be tempted away for a Porsche (Cayman GTS ideally) but can't imagine I'll fare too well selling the practicality merits of that one to my missus!

Reactions: Daveotto, pburv and WarwickL
Yeah, they're certainly not a common sight here mate. See the odd Mustang.

As far as the survey I voted for AWD, all day and all of the night lol

Never felt so assured in a car in my driving life. Never lost grip in the dry and only a couple of times in the wet, pulling out slightly too rapidly from junctions.

........and like Dave probably only be tempted away for a Porsche (Cayman GTS ideally) but can't imagine I'll fare too well selling the practicality merits of that one to my missus!
AWD is top of the list for my next car. I once had a loan Ford Mondeo a long time ago. Felt so secure

Have always had 4wd since getting a Golf V6 4motion about 15 years ago. Then series of S3's, R32s, S4.

Has been really useful in the snow a few winters back. We lived on a hill and I was the only car getting away on our road. I remember a few neighbours trying to dig cars out and they were all wheelspinning and sliding. I just waved and drove past everyone.....had an 8P S3 then.
I was also the only one who could get into the office.

Defecting to RWD for next car, but will be back to AWD I expect some time in the future.

Reactions: pburv
I've ticked the top one although I wouldn't say it is essential for my next car but certainly highly desirable. I has an Octavia 4x4 for 8 years and keeping the 4x4 system was one of the main reasons I came to Audi. I think 99% of the time it doesn't make much difference to me as I'm ploughing up and down the motorway, but I was definitely saved a visit to a hedge on one occasion when I hit some ice on a bend. It could be that a FWD with ESP would have had the same effect I guess, but that's how I justify it to myself!

I've ticked the top option, and the S3 is my first car to have AWD capability. For me it's very reassuring to have when driving the wife and two kids about. Like other's have said I would only be tempted away by a Porsche.

It's all about traction for me when pulling away.
I do struggle now with FWD cars and need a few times to re-adjust to stop wheel spin.
It's either AWD or RWD for me, but I doubt I'll ever go back to FWD.

I picked option one - I am pretty much sure that my next car will have AWD and probably be another Audi or a Merc....

Current drivetrain preference is:
RWD
4WD
FWD

RWD is a much nicer drive than Haldex 4WD. I'd like to give something with a proper rear-biased 4wd setup a go though.

I'd like to give something with a proper rear-biased 4wd setup a go though.

Ahhhh. Fond memories of the Sierra RS Cosworth 4x4 I had as a company car when I were a young chap. That had about 1/3 front : 2/3 rear IIRC and was a hoot to drive on road or track. Even when the turbo boost suddenly arrived mid-bend it was so controllable. Probably really slow by today's standards with just 220 bhp but it was electrifying at the time.