Quattro / Audi Drive Select

Han4mi

Reaction score
How does quattro work in the various driving modes? I am mostly wondering if it engages in the efficiency mode or is the s3 a front wheel drive only car when it's enabled? Thanks

Unless anyone with any advanced knowledge comments, my understanding is the Quattro is not dictated by driving modes whatsoever.

Our cars will also run like a 80% front 20% rear (or whatever the ratio is) regardless of which drive mode you are and when the car notices lack of traction etc it will then change the ratio to use more of the rear. The modern Quattro (haldex) is not a permeanant 4 wheel drive per se and the car will only really engage/utilise it when needed/traction is poor.

Isn’t the FL S3 slightly different when in Dynamic mode, not as biased? Remember reading something, I’ll see if I can find the article.

I tend to keep mine in Auto.....dunno why, so interested in your thoughts on this post.

It’s all in the manual mate :icon thumright: or sort of, I’m pretty sure it’s also “balanced” in Efficiency mode, but what Balanced means I don’t know... And just a note, it’s impossible to send more than 50% of the power to the rears because of how the haldex quattro system is designed (of course the fronts may slip making the rears put all the power down but on a dry summer day with grip on all wheels the split is max 50/50).

2b982648-e12f-451a-993c-491d557b0798-png.163193

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
It’s all in the manual mate :icon thumright: or sort of, I’m pretty sure it’s also “balanced” in Efficiency mode, but what Balanced means I don’t know... And just a note, it’s impossible to send more than 50% of the power to the rears because of how the haldex quattro system is designed (of course the fronts may slip making the rears put all the power down but on a dry summer day with grip on all wheels the split is max 50/50).

2b982648-e12f-451a-993c-491d557b0798-png.163193

You'd have to be a test driver (or on track) to feel any real difference between those modes.

I was wondering if it would make driving any safer if I didn't drive in the efficiency mode during the colder months where more grip is often needed. In case quattro is "tuned down" in efficiency it would make sense to use the different modes instead.

Maybe it's just me, but the traction feels better when in dynamic.

I just leave mine in dynamic mode all the time. I didnt like it that the feel of the steering suddenly changed when booting it otherwise (comfort to dynamic steering). I also feel that the dynamic steering tramlines a little less and perhaps doesnt feel as quite twitchy at speed but I yhavent really tested that out yet.
otherwise the driving mode make no difference to the behaviour of the 4wd from what I can tell. Its still a shame that audi didnt add a diff lock button for permanent 50 50 when wanted

You'd have to be a test driver (or on track) to feel any real difference between those modes.

That's not my experience. In rainy weather, in comfort you can feel the front wheels spin slightly if you floor it from standstill whereas in dynamic slip is non existing. It's actually pretty simple since the haldex controller changes behaviour depending on the driving mode which then changes how soon/fast/hard the haldex clutch engages.

Reactions: Audi Bairn