quattro 2.8 mpg

rusraf

Reaction score
hi just got a 1998 2.8 quattro
only getting 19 mpg round town driving.!!!
bit of difference to my golf 16v which did 30+ mpg.!!! lol

what can i expect really.??? mixed driving

Sounds about right round town unfortunately dude :(

My S4 is showing 20.4 overall.

My Astra GTE is faster, but manages 30+ even with a bit of stick.

ok,,cool mate..just aint use to this sort of fuel consumption..lol

Yes it's garbage. Mine gets 23-24 max no matter how I drive it. If I'm just pootling about town then it's 17-18.
Luckily it's now been relegated to our spare car and the TDi Avant does most of the mileage.

AndyMac said:
280 miles on a £50 tank really sucks, the TDi does 600!

That's about what I usually get from week to week.

But last week I took it steady up to Lancashire and back, and I got 320 miles before I filled up (and the light hadn't come on) :)

That's the beauty of having a 6th gear, the 2.8 could do with it. 85mph = 4.2k revs in 5th.

Mine was a 99.5 5-speed Tiptronic, and the gearing was much higher than Andymac's. 85mph in mine was 2700rpm. To behonest, that was too high. Maybe that's why it never really felt as fast as I'd expected it to. Still struggled to get over 30mpg on the motorway, though. Around town, it would drop to about 18 sometimes.

or get a 1.8t i normally average 33-34 mpg and i give it some welly too.a trip to scotland last year saw it giving me 41mpg the dash readout is quite accurate mine has only fluctuated by 0.4 mpg.

Just to make you feel better, the 911 SC i had last year did 270 miles to a tank which had to be super plus unleaded and cost £70 to fill up.

:sob:

The first week I had the RS I only got 160 miles out of a full tank

I get between 240 - 280 miles per tank now..

Ave Mpg is between 16.9 - 27.9 big difference all depends on the journey

Well my 2.8q says 28mpg most of the time, but if i reset it on the motorway and sit at about 75mph and don't go to heavy on the throttle it will stay at about 40mpg. But i am not sure how trust worthy it is. I recenty drove 310miles on a full tank and it said that i had 90mile to go. But then i hit traffic (twice two accidents in 10 miles)on the m25 and it went down to 55 miles and so i filled up at the next garage. I reckon if i hadn't have hit traffic i would got home. I once drove around with it saying i had 0miles left in the tank.
I wish mine was 6-speed! But i also wish it was twin turbo

I dream of 28mpg!
40mpg? Are you sure yours isn't in km's?
I only get that going down steep hills in neutral!

Well my 2.8q also gets a minimum of 28 mpg on a run driving it hardish,30-32 taking it easy.
Ive never seen less than 19 around town,i thought how good it was on fuel for a big motor,almost on par with my 80 sport!
But then its only got 45k on the clock,guess its all down to how well they are maintained...
Oh and if one of the lamda sensors goes down it will be crap on fuel as i found out.

knotty said:
Well my 2.8q also gets a minimum of 28 mpg on a run driving it hardish,30-32 taking it easy.
Ive never seen less than 19 around town,i thought how good it was on fuel for a big motor,almost on par with my 80 sport!
But then its only got 45k on the clock,guess its all down to how well they are maintained...
Oh and if one of the lamda sensors goes down it will be crap on fuel as i found out.

Exceptional.

Mines seviced and maintained to death.

Your car will be dancing all over the road in a short skirt and G string

Reactions: Masood Sharif
When my lambada dancing sensor went i had a mild misfire when accelerating
almost like a plug lead breaking down and knocked about 5mpg off due to it running rich on one bank of cylinders.

i Avg about 340 MPG per tank on premium gas....driving habbits are not consistant...i might be able to squeeze some more due to my driving habbits...
:laugh: ..on the perspective side the MPG of the 2.8 isnt the greatest..i had a 98 GS300 and got about 65 MPG more...*BUT* lol isnt as fun to drive..IMHO..

AndyMac said:
I dream of 28mpg!
40mpg? Are you sure yours isn't in km's?
I only get that going down steep hills in neutral!

Well that was on a flat bit of motorway where if i got it up to 70mph and reset it then it would stay at that. but then you have to be very gentle with the throttle or it drops rather quick. so its not really practical.
But they way i look at it is if i was that worried about mpg i would have bought a diesel!

Mine tends to average 24mpg too with mixed driving, but have got almost 30 overall on long flat motorway runs. I have noticed that using higher octane fuel can help, reaching 300 miles from a tank instead of 280. Even noticed a difference with the 97 RON sainsburys one which is normally only 2p a litre more.

A suggestion would be to get a new MAF for this... cleaning is not really any good. You will get better power and fuel economy from the car. My car wtih only 30k on the clock needed a new MAF as it was under reading by about 15-20% - IE: Car running lean/hot/down on power. This uses more fuel! Get a new MAF and you should see better results, but as you can see the 2.8 is a thirsty beast.

I get better economy out of my S4 with 50% more power, but I think that was largely down to me having a duff MAF on my A4.

Cheers

MAF stands for "mass air flow" - it is basically a sensor that measures how much air is being sucked into the engine so that the cars ecu can put in exactly the right amount of fuel into the engine.

Before you change your maf one thing everyone should try is cleaning the connector plug on it. Have a look at the "Cage mod" described here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=729585

I have tried it on several petrol cars and on all of them it has made a very noticeable improvement - certainaly worth a try for the few quid it costs for the dielectric grease.

Sorry to go against your suggestion Craig... but cleaning the MAF will never get the same result as simply replacing it. My advice is just replace it. It will pay for itself in performance/fuel economy and at least its something done that you dont have to worry about.

Cheers,
Leon

It is not cleaning the MAF sensor, it is cleaning the electrical connection on the MAF.

If you read some of the replies on the above link you will see that most of the people who tried it had improvements in the way the engine runs. several people also tried it on old maf sensors which had been replaced as they were knackered - after cleaning the connection they worked properly again.

I know the link is pretty much all about diesel cars, but I have tried it on an Audi S3 with 16,000 miles on it (which didn't have any running problems) and after cleaning the connector it had a much smoother power delivery and felt more powerful. Also tried it on a Ford Focus ST170 with 20,000 miles and again it had a smoother more responsive power delivery and got rid of a slight hesitation/flat spot it had.

I am not saying it will work, but on all the cars I have tried it on it has made a noticeable difference. It is also a lot cheaper than paying ~£70 for a new sensor.

Good info Craig!

Think you should start a new thread for people to see. What stuff do you use and do you know what they have or I should look for in Halfords.

Cheers.

Average 28mpg mixed town / main roads. Best ever was 34mpg on the motorway but car was packed and had a foot and high loaded roof bars. Town driving I get 23-24 mpg.

I always have roof bars on which carry a load about half the time.

im only managing 18mpg around town in the S4, but with careful driving on the motorway have seen 33mpg, but then again I always knew it would be mega thirsty

It has been extremely expensive to run recently but i think it is because
my MAF is knackered, or should I say HOPE its knackered. Seems to be running limited boost again from time to time and last time it was doing this it was an EGT sensor responsible, and with the MAF at half the price of the EGT sensor, I hope its the first. Have just changed both DV's as a precaution, and am hoping that a new MAF will solve my loss of boost. If not, I will need to find someone with VAG-COM to see if it is the EGT sensor to blame.

I know i should really get a diagnostic first but I want to change the MAF anyway for peace of mind. Can't do it any harm.

to be honest - I've got a 2.8 (not q) & I'm getting same mpg as when i was thrashing my mk1 golf about.. so i'm well chuffed. average about 28mpg !!

maybe thats because i'm just cruising at the moment..