1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quantum Remap : My experience

Dub2Dub Jan 23, 2016

1. Dub2Dub

Dub2Dub Member

Just thought I'd share a thread after having done lots of research and still feeling non the wiser regarding the who's who in remapping.

Firstly, I'll say I kept being recommended for 2 options, a live map or Revo, due to their experience. Whilst not adverse to either i came across quantum who have a very impressive track record online and a superb price.

I took the car to a local tuner (can I comment who?) who took a read of my ECU, uploaded to their website and had a modified map ready in minutes. Apparently they double check your existing map and amend appropriate values in the settings or decline of other issues are shown.

This new map was then flashed via the obd port, all in all it was done within an hour.

I believe there are 3 choices, green, economy. Blue a hybrid and red high performance.

My tuner advised against red for a daily driver saying it was good for track day or those being very responsible as it ups or removes the limiter, introducing stress which if not managed appropriately will destroy the engine over time.

After first having the blue map installed I noticed a slight difference it was only 50 miles later that things really started to make a difference.

I'm in the CAPA 239 standard break 3.0 Quattro from 2008. Estimates of extra 45 bhp and 80 torques but of course variations will exist.

So how is it to drive now.

200 miles in, gears are a lot smoother, as in first was almost useless before but now I can clutch control in comfort in traffic.

Hitting 1900 rpm or so you feel the normal turbo kick which is memory serves right drifted off fairly quick, but still enjoyable. This thing now pulls right through and seems to hit 5500 if I'm really pushing it.

Day to day style driving seems even smoother, didn't think that was possible!

Summary,

Car seems more comfortable, and has a lot more to give. Not sure on economy yet, I'll wait for a decent motorway run which I was getting 50 mph with super careful driving and I'll experiment at the same again. Trouble with mpg is too many conditions can alter it and unless in a scientific environment be hard to tell, the general concesus seems to be, yes mpg will impore 2-3 under blue map, but if you've a heavy foot you can probably expect 2-3 less!

Just wanted to share as I struggled for confidence on where to go. For now, 200 miles in I would recommend!

I do 15-20k a year so be sure to update if any troubles.

Best

John

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

Strange how it took 50 miles to really notice a difference, maps do "bed in" as the the ECU changes some of the learning parameters but you should have noticed a good difference from the moment it was mapped.As for 5500 really no point in going over 5000 rpm as the torque has all gone by then. I usually change around 4800 rpm in my car

Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps likes this.
  4. Dub2Dub

Dub2Dub Member

After having it done I was initially a bit playful and then eased off, just felt like I should let it run in, aside from the smoothness it wasn't until about 50miles in that I started pushing it so I guess a mix of it bedding in and me taking it easy.

Can't say I plan to hit 5500 but before it serious ran out of puff at 4000.

So got a much better, smoother range of power it seems with oodles of torque.

5. Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps

Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

was it done in the north east out of Intrest

6. Dub2Dub

Dub2Dub Member

Hi Paul,

Had it done in Bristol.

7. A3jack

A3jack Member

Good to hear, I had a bad event with a dealer, from the north east, and I will name the company as I feed people should stay clear, although it was my bad for going for a cheap remap , £79 was the price of the map on my previous Audi A4 1.9tdi pd115 all done within 20 minutes and the place did seem a little dodgy etc no proper service etc, car seemed a lot quicker but after a couple of days it just started running like a bag of **** and MPG went down to 30mpg!!' Got in touch with the guy for a refund as its a 30 day money back guarantee and of corse he refused and said the map was by 'quantum' and he has since left them as a dealer so not his responsibly , so I emailed quantum explaining what had gone one, and within 5 mins they rang me and asked me who had done it etc, found if he had been ***** off by the company for prices being to low etc and there just straight copied maps, quantum offered to remap my car back to standard etc and arranged a good time for me and it was al sorted back to normal and car was spot on! And has been since, very happy now! But I can't stress enough to stay away from the cheap maps, weather the map was from quantum I don't know because there obviously good looking at all there feedback, and the guys where very helpful, very impressed with service etc, so I may take my new a5 3.0quattro to them for a map also! The company (apprently) That gave the map in the first place was the diesal doctor in Hartlepool, from the website I at least expected some kind of garage... But nope pretty much a back street job and I should of known better! But just putting the word of warning out! And thank god to good company's like quantum that sorted it free of charge! Cheers Jack

8. Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps

Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

Knew who it was before you mentioned the name. There is also another 2 dealers, teeside which are the same and people have had problems, the diesel doctor now gets his files from precision code works. U.S automated site. Pays about £20 in credits for a file to immediately be uploaded to them for them to use , you should have came to us :)

9. A3jack

A3jack Member

Yep! Learnt from my mistakes mate! Hard way!

10. Dub2Dub

Dub2Dub Member

Have to say my chap was definitely a side street garage, no question of it. However he seemed very knowledgeable, his history was around electronic engineering and the garage was definitely all set up. In fairness he could have had a better laptop as was an old XP machine, but I imagine that's probably due to the requirement of a serial port for flashing and drivers being easier/more stable on that OS.

As for the map 'job' I can't say there was much for him to do wrong, he booted the software, it identified the map version, he then sent it via the quantum dealer network, put a call in and a few minutes later a new map was produced. He explained this map was a set of standards and then slightly tweaked to suit the original map read from my engine.

He then flashed the new map back on.

I felt comfortable through the whole process as was looking over his shoulder.

Had he "downloaded" or "drag dropped" maps from any unofficial site or "repository" I'd have called it a day. The fact he read my map and sent it to the central dealer made my worries go away.

An update 3 months on.

Well re-reading I had my Rev numbers off and desert storm was bang on, it's about 4800 before I change if driving aggressively.

I've had some motorway runs that now seem to get me a good bit more out of the tank, my previous record was 530 (Prediction on computer of 550) and I've since done 575 (Prediction was 600).

These were fairly long, traffic free trips (Bristol to Bangor).

However I can't commit that these are from the map, my first round of "scores" was when I was fairly new to the car, I'm sure my ability to drive smoother has improved somewhat.

Car is now around 45k and drives like a dream, plenty of power, no odd noises and changes gears smooth throughout. Very happy all around.

11. 123xlee

123xlee New Member

I would avoid Quantum Tuning like the plague!! I’ve been 3 days without a car after they tried to map it, and now having to have it recovered back to main dealer to fix it on ODIS! No one calling me back and should have left for holiday 2 hours ago. No one is interested or seems to want to help. The software writers have tried numerous fixes but cannot get my car back to the original map or get a new one on, leaving me without a car and a bricked ECU! AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Marshy

Marshy Settled in Team Sepang Audi RS3

Did you get sorted in the end? What car do you have?

Tags: