1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QD's (Quick Detailer's) & Coatings

scotty76 Jul 17, 2015

1. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator MQB Platform

scotty76 likes this.
  4. scotty76

It is indeed. Still got my 2014 bottle of Reload on the shelf, I'm too scared to use it. :) Should ebay it really.

5. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi S4

Scotty/BH
    I'm somewhat of a detailing Virgin hence getting my car done with cquartz was a relevation but one year in I'm struggling to make it pop like Daytona can!
    My regulation wash is with CP reset and I have only ever used the reload once on the bonnet to see what happen. Now I'm beyond useless with these things so did risk polishing just blasted in with jet wash ( I read somewhere you can do that?)
    Is a QD spray the answer for me - Scott will this be ok with the cquartz?

You guys seem to know your onions

6. Keef

Ahh should I not be using my 2014 reload?
    Is it faulty

7. scotty76

Hi Keef. You can certainly try a quick detailer or a wax on top to see if it helps. You won't damage the CQuartz coating (I think you have CQUK). One thing is that Reset has a note on the bottle that says "may degrade organic waxes" so if you do top up with a QD or wax the Reset may eat away at it quicker than a normal shampoo.

My Dolphin Grey B7 always seemed to take well to wax. I used both Autoglym HD Wax and Dodo Blue Velvet Pro. The Dodo Blue Velvet Pro you can get in small panel pots to try. e.g. http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/shop/dodo-juice-blue-velve-pro-30ml-panel-pot.html . I also have 1/2 pot of this left in garage, happy to post it to you gratis if you PM me a name and address (work's fine, no need to tell me where you live). :)

Having said all that I'm unsure if it would help. The "pop" tends to come from the base layer. So the CQUK has effectively sealed in what's beneath. Nick will have done the correct prep when he applied it but that' not to say it's given you the look you want. Detailing is all about trying things and seeing what happens so if it was me I'd still give wax or a QD a go.

Finally on the Reload 2014 thing. There were issues with putting it on black cars which is why I have been chicken. I believe they revised the formula late in the year to help. I think also the jet wash off you might be thinking of Hydr02 which works this way but happy to be corrected. You spray it on and jet wash off...

http://www.carpro.uk.com/hydro2-100ml-spray-rinse-coating/

8. Bristle Hound

Give it a try @scotty76
    Our black/red MINI JCW had Cquartz CQUK applied and I found CP Reload was the perfect partner for it
    The trick is with it, not to use too much and per panel. I always found a panel at a time worked best for me
    Once you've done the car, it does seem to get shinier after a couple of hours of use. Apparently this is down to the silica in it I'm told
    I tried CP Reset shampoo on the MINI and was always disappointed after using it as I found it always strips everything right back to the Cquartz coating, which is good initially, but like all coatings, they do degrade over time. Our MINI was nearing 2 years old the CQUK coating was noticeably degrading, but the Reload kept it going a IMHO
    Like scotty says @Keef QD's won't damage your CGUK but everytime you wash with Reset it'll strip any long term benefits of it
    My fave all time shampoo is Wolf's white satin. PH neutral and no gloss enhancers or polymers or any other ***** in it
    Bargain at £9.50 delivered (price has come down from £11)
    http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/wolfs-chemicals-auto-shampoo-cat3.html
    Haven't used CP Hydr02 TBH but have heard great things about it

scotty76 likes this.
  9. scotty76

Interesting BH. I've never topped up the coating and use Reset every wash. It's still beading away like a good 'un from the base CQuartz Finest. I'll stick with this and see how long it lasts.

10. scotty76

As an aside I'm already wondering what to go with next at the two year mark. Maybe a touch of Swissvax Crystal Rock? :) I'll leave it there as I've taken your thread way off topic, sorry BH. Keef if you want to continue to discuss start a new thread on the Detailing section and we can continue.

11. Bristle Hound

Thought's on QD's and coatings like Cquartz Finest & CQUK etc

scotty76 likes this.
  12. Avatar

13. scotty76

So, QD's I've tried:

- Britemax Spray & Shine (see above). Works well on our grey VW Jetta and my previous Dolphin Grey B7. Good beading and keen price.
    - Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer. Nice shine and satisfying watching it flash off.
    - FinishKare #425 - a bit of a detailing legend. Worked well. Occasional streaking if a bit too enthusiastic with it. Not sure why I didn't buy again, can't recall :)
    - Valet Pro Citrus Bling - not solely a QD. More a Swiss Army product. Did use it as a QD/drying aid but bought it really to use as clay lube coz it's cheap when diluted. Did offer some beading but as I said didn't buy it with QD in mind.

Bristle Hound likes this.
  14. Bristle Hound

So many i've tried, so little time to right about them :laugh:

Agreed tho' @scotty76 FK #425 & Chemical Guys Synthetic Detailer are 2 memorable ones

The 3 I have at the mo are
    Sonax BSD (which I used to use on our old black/red MINI JCW mixed 50/50 with CP Reload) but alas is now stuck on the shelf. Do use it occasionally on our push bikes tho' :laugh:
    Angelwax QED - My go to winter QD. Can smear if applied to a warm car or apply too much, but great longevity
    http://www.angelwax.co.uk/?wpsc-product=qed
    Adam's Detail Spray - My newest & favourite'est QD. Will be my summer drying aid/QD from now on
    http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-detail-spray-16oz.html

scotty76 likes this.
  15. scotty76

I thought Sonax was the product of the century BH? :) Why on the shelf?

I'm on a detailing diet. No new stuff until the old is gone.

16. Bristle Hound

'Tis a good product. Stopped using it after the MINI went. It was great mixed 50/50 with CP Reload. Made it lose some its grabbiness (BSD's) Wanted to try something new on the S4 as well. Using the Werkstat acrylic kit on the wife's white Ka now
    I was too & then I ventured onto DW
    Ended up spending a quick £100 on gear! Damn!
    BUT TBH I did need some gear. Was out of ValetPro Citrus Pre-Wash & anew QD and always wanted that wax & ohh those MF's are cheap ...
    @scotty76 - BSD on offer for £6.99 delivered if you want to try it my friend
    http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/sonax-brilliant-shine-detailer-£6-99-euro-car-parts.249065/

dolo likes this.
  17. Keef

Thanks guys
    Apologies for the thread hijack!
    Scotty that is a very kind offer but honestly, it would be wasted on me!
    That harsh facts are I'm way too lazy to spent time polishing, hence always looking for the quick fix.
    Don't get me wrong very happy with Nicks results, and when the sun catches it nothing pops like Daytona.
    But just want that shine/gloss look that a waxed car has, usually more evident on Reds, Blues and even whites.
    Invested in a load of my polishing cloths last time I ordered from UF website, perhaps I just need to be brave enough to to use them with the reload!

On a slightly different note, I caved in and purchased a Di resin vessel! Works a treat
    Like I said, I'm a real 'all the gear - no idea!' Detailer lol

scotty76 likes this.
  18. scotty76

@Keef definitely try a QD then. Dead easy and fast.

What DI vessel did you get? It's still on my shopping list. Black and water marks are a nightmare.

19. scotty76

Actually @Keef there's Hydro2 lite out now which you can spray on wipe off.

Hydr02 lite wmv:

Keef likes this.
  20. Keef

I went for the Daqua 11.4L vessel, have only used it twice so far, but have left car to dry in sun and has been great, no water spots or streaks

The hydro lite stuff looks good, may have to invest and give it a try.
    In the video it looks like he's using a drying towel to wipe it off, is this best or ok with mf polishing cloths??

scotty76 likes this.
  21. Bristle Hound

@scotty76 @Keef - CarChem Hydro Coat is a similar thing to CP Hydr02 when used diluted

'Hydro Coat Spray 1ltr Spray
    Add 25ml of Hydro Coat to a 1ltr spray bottle and fill the remaining with 975ml of clean water. Simple wash your car in the normal way, allow to drip dry for a few minutes, spray the mixed solution all over the car, coating the paintwork, glass, plastics, alloys, steel and rubbers then hose off, dry your car in the normal way following the top up application.
    http://car-chem.com/store/hydro-coat-sealant

I have some on my shelf (like a a lot of Detailing products :laugh:) but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=355671

Like Scotty says Keef, give one of the QD's a go. You'll be very impressed
    I can see the only problem for you would be choosing one! lol :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Keef likes this.
  22. scotty76

Mf cloths are fine. Drying towels are often just giant MFs anyway.

23. Keef

Right my Adam's Detail Spray has arrived – thought it best to update here instead of hijacking other posts (I’m a right ****** for doing that!)

@Bristle Hound many thanks for the 15% off heads up!

I’m hoping to get a chance to have a go with it the weekend.
    However as I’m pretty useless at this sorta thing, I’m tempted to try it on the wifes focus first!

I want to use this as a drying aid as well as getting a nice QD shine
    I plan to use it in a similar style to the Ammo hydrate video, i.e. apply with a damp MF to a wet car (after washing and rinsing)

I’m still not sure if I should be using a MF cloth (short loop) or MF towel (longer pile) or if it even makes that much of a difference!? (Don’t judge me, told ya im new to this)

Any tips or pointers most welcome?

24. scotty76

@Keef when I'm using a QD as a drying aid I just spray it on the wet car and then use the MF towel to dry. MF cloth would be fine too. I haven't used Adam's but this is what I've done with every QD I've used.

Don't panic, just go for it! :)

25. Keef

Finally had time to try the Adam's detail spray - never used a QD spray before so can't give a comparison, but love it! results below:-

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

26. scotty76

Looking good @Keef , great reflections. :) Also I note your garage is about as tidy as mine!! :)

27. steeve

steeve Well-Known Member Team Ibis TeamMisano Audi S3

I have a bottle of Sonax, used it once and I'd never use it again.
    For me, like other detailing sprays it adds a very temporary shine which doesn't ever feel smooth like a coat of wax. I also find that it attracts surface dust which sticks to the surface.
    I know lots of people use it to get a quick shine, but not for me.

I'd rather make sure I have a great lasting shine on the car from a conventional surface treatment and if the cars dirty all I need do is clean it to get that shine back.

I still recommend FUSSO wax, its not expensive and its water repellence has to be seen to be believed.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/90990/soft99-fusso-coat

28. Bristle Hound

@Keef - S4 looks great buddy :thumbs up:

Do like Adam's Detail Spray myself, however I have purchased another to try, Bouncer's Done & Dusted. Sucker for hype lol

@steeve - QD's are invaluable as drying aids too. TBH I've found with the QD's I've used they don't attract dust. But I do agree with you about having a good base layer down, but not everyone has the time to do this & a QD is especially useful to use after each wash for those that don't have the time

scotty76 and Keef like this.
  29. Keef

:anguished:Noooo @Bristle Hound you can't get me hooked on Adam spray then go and drop another one on me!

Although Sherbert Fizz aroma sounds good - i look foward to your thoughts on it (and if you think its better)

30. scotty76

Bad dog! I thought you were on a detailing diet? :)

Bristle Hound and Keef like this.
  31. Bristle Hound

Always a sucker for the hype with Detailing bits lol
    Me thinks its gonna have to be damn good to be better than the Adam's Detail Spray. Will let you know when I've had the chance to use it :)
    So did I ! lol

Keef and scotty76 like this.
  32. Keef

Well ive managed to get through a bottle of Adams detail spray and im soon to be ordering another bottle (maybe 2!)
    @Bristle Hound anything to report on the Bouncer's Sherbert Fizz??

scotty76 likes this.
  33. Avatar

34. Bristle Hound

@Keef - Believe it or not I haven't had a chance to use the Bouncers QD yet

You could always get the gallon refill of the Adam's Detail Spray ;)
    http://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/store/p10/Adam's_Detail_Spray_Gallon_Refill.html

Keep an eye out in here on Prestige Car Care Shop's DW thread. He's often giving out 15% discount codes
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=34be1fe553c92f4dd9cd4c78179b9fc2&f=355

scotty76 and Keef like this.
  35. Keef

Ooh that works out good value if I can get a% discount, postage seemed a little high on my last order though

36. scotty76

If you like it @Keef gallon is the way to go. I have a gallon of Britemax Spray & Shine for that reason, it's a much cheaper way to get it.

Keef and Bristle Hound like this.
  37. Keef

Yes I'm definitely a one product man!
    I find something I like and stick with it.....unlike @Bristle Hound who likes to play the field, so to speak

Bristle Hound and scotty76 like this.
  38. Bristle Hound

Must admit I am a bit of a Detailing product whore lol

Keef likes this.
  39. Bristle Hound

cuke2u likes this.
  40. Bristle Hound

Could do with some updates on here, especially from all you D&D converts ;):D

41. Bristle Hound

42. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Active Member

Autofinesse Q.D. for me after every wash. There quick wax is also spot on.

43. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Bouncers done&dusted:
    20181104_124612.jpg 20181104_124051.jpg 20181104_124439.jpg 20181104_124056.jpg