Q8 Q8 to Q3 Sportback

Well she's landed...........you may have noticed it's not quite as planned in colour!!! Long story but the ordered Daytona Grey car wasn't going to land until October :rage: This one was on the ferry if I wanted it..................which I did! Really love the colour and happy it worked out this way. Early days but really pleased with the car, it seems to exactly what I hoped it would be :smiley:View attachment 215745

Very nice, love the colour, nice to see colour and not another shade of grey....

Good luck with it.

I am assuming that the reg now rather than wait for the new reg is like I was with the M5, who cares as it will have a private plate on, and impact on residuals isnt what it used to be with so many plate changes and permutations these days (plus they gave me an extra £1000 off to register it last week in August!)

Well she's landed...........you may have noticed it's not quite as planned in colour!!! Long story but the ordered Daytona Grey car wasn't going to land until October :rage: This one was on the ferry if I wanted it..................which I did! Really love the colour and happy it worked out this way. Early days but really pleased with the car, it seems to exactly what I hoped it would be :smiley:View attachment 215745

Very nice, love the colour, nice to see colour and not another shade of grey....

Good luck with it.

I am assuming that the reg now rather than wait for the new reg is like I was with the M5, who cares as it will have a private plate on, and impact on residuals isnt what it used to be with so many plate changes and permutations these days (plus they gave me an extra £1000 off to register it last week in August!)

What a relief. I hope this car will be better for you to drive. Would you have waited another two more weeks when the reg changes for you to get the car?

Good luck with it.

Vanity plates only disguise the age of the car for those who fall for it. A cars age and future value is the date of first registration, the current system having been used since 2001.
An additional £1000 discount would be tempting but it will most definitely cost you when you sell.

The most financially beneficial date according to major group buyer is 1 March- new year, new reg.

Dealers chasing end of month targets with offer financial incentives which ultimately benefit them more than you!! That’s life.

Vanity plates only disguise the age of the car for those who fall for it. A cars age and future value is the date of first registration, the current system having been used since 2001.
An additional £1000 discount would be tempting but it will most definitely cost you when you sell.

The most financially beneficial date according to major group buyer is 1 March- new year, new reg.

Dealers chasing end of month targets with offer financial incentives which ultimately benefit them more than you!! That’s life.

If I bothered about a few quid I wouldnt be buying an expensive car. I sold the M5 11 months later and the difference of the plate was about 1000 (as I asked the buyer who bought it for Sytner).

Buy them and enjoy them and if you want to save some money get an ISA......

Vanity plates (I'll use your term as you obviously like it) matter to those who buy them. As long as they are happy who cares? Best thing I ever bought my late wife, her words.

Reactions: JDHOWELLS and paul wev
If I bothered about a few quid I wouldnt be buying an expensive car. I sold the M5 11 months later and the difference of the plate was about 1000 (as I asked the buyer who bought it for Sytner).

Buy them and enjoy them and if you want to save some money get an ISA......

Vanity plates (I'll use your term as you obviously like it) matter to those who buy them. As long as they are happy who cares? Best thing I ever bought my late wife, her words.
My late wife disliked the narcissistic nature of Vanity plates ( a well known term and far less offensive than others) more than me but it is up to the owner of course. Just don’t see how that enters the financial debate at all!
Waiting a couple of weeks for a new reg on a £120k car is actually worth circa £3500 hence why I am being patient.
Despite seeing A 1 DCK on a shiny car it doesn’t hide the fact it is registered in 2008!

You do choose your words carefully for effect dont you? If you ever knew someone who was really narcissistic you wouldnt call a personal plate by that term, even to garner a response on a forum... But your post proves one thing, its purely personal and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and there is no right or wrong.

I took my valuation from the guys in the trade - and it cant be that important as my son in law (who works for a dealer group) invariably gets his car registered at the end of the month - on a personal lease where the 4 month GFV is set at outset.

I'd rather have A1 DCK than XX21 XXX - but I can laugh at myself (and it would be worth a few quid).

Reactions: NevMan and JDHOWELLS
You do choose your words carefully for effect dont you? If you ever knew someone who was really narcissistic you wouldnt call a personal plate by that term, even to garner a response on a forum... But your post proves one thing, its purely personal and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and there is no right or wrong.

I took my valuation from the guys in the trade - and it cant be that important as my son in law (who works for a dealer group) invariably gets his car registered at the end of the month - on a personal lease where the 4 month GFV is set at outset.

I'd rather have A1 DCK than XX21 XXX - but I can laugh at myself (and it would be worth a few quid).

Working for a dealer group your son will be getting the benefits of dealer incentives to chase numbers at month end. They are completely different from the private client, turning over cars on a regular basis.
My comments relate to people keeping a vehicle typically for 2/3/4 years where the effect of registration date is more pronounced.

If the dealer threw me a large part of the potential loss I too would consider registering at month end but they will not. As an experienced negotiator professionally the deals are generally pretty good anyway with no where to go.

I'm not choosing words for effect at all, in fact not sure which words you are referring to.... Vanity plate is a well known term across the world and indeed sums up why people buy them I believe.

A vanity plate or personalised plate prestige plate, private number plate, cherished plate or personalised registration personalised plate or custom plate (The owner of the vehicle pays extra money to have their own choice of numbers or letters, usually portraying a recognizable phrase, slogan, or abbreviation on their plate. Sales of vanity plates are often a significant source of revenue for state licensing agencies.

I love nice VW/Audi Group cars but never seen the point of unneeded add ons like Vanity plates ( a well known term I believe), although my wife's TTS does have silver ears!!

Last edited:
Working for a dealer group your son will be getting the benefits of dealer incentives to chase numbers at month end. They are completely different from the private client, turning over cars on a regular basis.
My comments relate to people keeping a vehicle typically for 2/3/4 years where the effect of registration date is more pronounced.

If the dealer threw me a large part of the potential loss I too would consider registering at month end but they will not. As an experienced negotiator professionally the deals are generally pretty good anyway with no where to go.

I'm not choosing words for effect at all, in fact not sure which words you are referring to.

I love nice VW/Audi Group cars but never seen the point of unneeded add ons like Vanity plates ( a well known term I believe), although my wife's TTS does have silver ears!!

You are irritating beyond belief aren’t you.

Every time you post you seem to want to cause offence or try to get peoples back up.

You need to start posting with some respect for other forum members views, just because they don’t follow your views doesn’t mean they are wrong.

Everyone has different ways / ideas, why can’t you just accept that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AllanG, NevMan and JDHOWELLS

Every time you post you seem to want to cause offence or try to get peoples back up.

You need to start posting with some respect for other forum members views, just because they don’t follow your views doesn’t mean they are wrong.

Hasn’t mentioned how much he hated his q3 sport back for a while either..

Never understood why the handful of usual suspects on this forum seem so annoyed by other people’s choices

I think the car looks great and I hope you enjoy it even after the plate changes

Reactions: 8YARWY
Hasn’t mentioned how much he hated his q3 sport back for a while either..

Never understood why the handful of usual suspects on this forum seem so annoyed by other people’s choices

I think the car looks great and I hope you enjoy it even after the plate changes

It’s crazy the condescending way he posts on other people’s threads......

Mods need to have a word I think.

Reactions: NevMan and JDHOWELLS

I don’t think I have ever suggested people aren’t free to do what they like have I ? I do think there are a few pot kettle black comments here.
a forum is just that, a forum to express views and share with others in a friendly manner rather than personal insults which I try to avoid at all times. Opinion is opinion.

Couldn’t agree more

Spot on, hence why I ignore the idiot

Well said No co-incidence why a certain “individual” never gets a single like to any of his posts, for the simple reason he is a **** - insert four letter word of choice

Well said No co-incidence why a certain “individual” never gets a single like to any of his posts, for the simple reason he is a **** - insert four letter word of choice
I deal in facts.. This is me.....
Not wishing to be provoked or be provocative but here they are......

I'm not choosing words for effect at all, in fact not sure which words you are referring to.... Vanity plate is a well known term across the world and indeed sums up why people buy them I believe.

A vanity plate or personalised plate prestige plate, private number plate, cherished plate or personalised registration personalised plate or custom plate (The owner of the vehicle pays extra money to have their own choice of numbers or letters, usually portraying a recognizable phrase, slogan, or abbreviation on their plate. Sales of vanity plates are often a significant source of revenue for state licensing agencies.

even the quote you choose references "state" as its a very american term. Even the DVLA call them Personalised plates.....

Anyway I like my B9.5 RS4 on its 11 plate.... and my 65 plate Mini on a 55 plate - both of which belong to my kids. My wife's is on retention and I will put that on the camper when I get it.....

I deal in facts.. This is me.....
Not wishing to be provoked or be provocative but here they are......

Whilst we are on facts (and sorry to the OP for distracting from your lovely car, post some more pics to get us back on track!), how did you come up with your user name...? I know what Argy Bargy means in the Cambridge Dictionary..... loudargument or disagreement that is not usually serious..... just wondered why you thought it would be a good name for you?

;)

Reactions: JDHOWELLS