Q8 Q8 to Q3 Sportback

Dunders

Reaction score
Well after only 10 months it's nearly time to say goodbye to the Q8 as today I pulled the trigger and ordered a Q3 Sportback. Whilst I liked the Q8 I never truly gelled with it as I never really got to grips with the size or the weight - not that either were a surprise - or the wallowy ride. All probably because I came from an S4 even though I really wanted the Q8 for it's comfort, which I really couldn't argue with. Overall the Q8 is a great, comfy car with lots of kit and tech, but just not for me in the end. Should have listened to Mrs D who wanted a Q3 SB in the first place!! Oh well, we live and learn!

So, ordered a Q3 Sportback 45tfsi Vorsprung in Daytona, hopefully arriving back end of Jan which I'm really looking forward to. Keeping the raised driving position - which I must admit surprised me quite how much I liked - and all the toys (in fact more tbh) whilst getting a more right sized car for town and country lanes where I do most of my driving.

Reactions: firecracker69, NevMan, TDI-line and 1 other person
Dont beat yourself up too much - I bought an M5 and never gelled with it for size reasons (and fact it was ridiculously overpowered for the real world...) plus nowhere for the dog...

It followed an SQ5 which I liked so decided back to Audi - but as I wanted petrol it had to be an RS4. Well its the right size and shape....

Reactions: NevMan and Keef
An RS4 really is the right size and shape! Really nice car. Trust you are enjoying as it's maker intended!!!!

Reactions: NevMan and isleaiw
An RS4 really is the right size and shape! Really nice car. Trust you are enjoying as it's maker intended!!!!

Collecting Monday then I will take it steady until its run in (I am old school - my brother is a mechanic and service manager and drilled it into me!) and then use it more as intended - so that will be about March then!

Reactions: NevMan and Dunders
Love the Q8, but yeah big old car in the flesh!
I’ve always fancy an SQ5 and nearly bought a vorsprung back in May. Now if the make a Q5 sized Q8 with the new dashboard I’m sold!

Dunders...have you considered an RSQ3 - also in Sportback form? A 4 pot 230PS engine vs a 5cyl 400PS motor unique to Audi RS. Even in Std form they have a lot of kit, full leather electric seats for example:
20201025-132305.jpg

No fake tail pipes here - thought you'd like the colour:

20201023-073643-1.jpg

Extra instrument displays - you can launch two RS specific versions of Drive Select including Sport displays in virtual cockpit from the steering wheel, the RS Drive Select modes let you determine how active you want the Haldex AWD system to be.....this isn't just a Q3 with a 400PS engine...

20201024-135616-1.jpg

Daytona under daylight LED lighting...the 6 pot caliper brakes are awesome!
20201026-162515.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, TDI-line, cuke2u and 2 others
So whats the price difference? I mean, an RSQ8 is a really nice car if you are in the market for a Q3 and fancy something slightly faster and a bit more expensive...

I think a 45TFSi does all you need if you dont need or want the performance...

So whats the price difference? I mean, an RSQ8 is a really nice car if you are in the market for a Q3 and fancy something slightly faster and a bit more expensive...

I think a 45TFSi does all you need if you dont need or want the performance...

Was really an observation - coming from a probably 286PS turbo diesel Q8, that will have a lots of punchy low-down torque, probably feels quick of the line, a 230PS petrol is going to 'less'. The regular Q8 has 6 pot stoppers up front (same caliper as the RS4 I believe - certainly same pads), the regular Q3 has single piston calipers all round as is the norm for a lot of vehicles these days - just won't be comparable.

Reactions: firecracker69, NevMan and isleaiw
I can imagine trading a 9 month old Q8 in will have been a costly experience but you have to do whats right for you and so I hope the Q3 vorsprung is the right car.:icon thumright:

Thanks for the comments everyone. Can't afford the upgrade to the RSQ3 unfortunately at this point. Fully understand the performance will be different between the 2 cars, especially through the gears where the torque counts, although hoping the Q3 won't be that much slower in real world driving. I suspect the braking will feel better due to the weight difference - you really feel the weight of the Q8 under braking. As you say Ju it's not been a cheap experience but the car was 9 months old when I got it so had shed a lot of value already, thankfully.

Reactions: Frankiejr26, NevMan, cosmicblue and 1 other person
Was really an observation - coming from a probably 286PS turbo diesel Q8, that will have a lots of punchy low-down torque, probably feels quick of the line, a 230PS petrol is going to 'less'. The regular Q8 has 6 pot stoppers up front (same caliper as the RS4 I believe - certainly same pads), the regular Q3 has single piston calipers all round as is the norm for a lot of vehicles these days - just won't be comparable.

I was just being flippant - the old forum upsell in full swing and he had only just said he is swapping! I think if most of the OPs driving is in town he wont want the extra fuel consumption of an RS, and not sure I have ever been able to tell much about the brakes on my car from driving it - except the M5s were amazing!

As for the dual touchscreens in the Q8, its one of the things that really made me think about getting another Audi. My last experience with touchscreen was poor(2014 Golf GTi PP) and I vowed never again. But the rest of the car was good enough for me to take a chance.... lets see how that goes, at least I have buttons for temp, heated seats etc.....

Reactions: cosmicblue and NevMan
Nice spec Dunders.

You can enjoy the new build wait with me, I ordered 3 weeks ago, and was told around January.

Reactions: Dunders and NevMan
Collecting Monday then I will take it steady until its run in (I am old school - my brother is a mechanic and service manager and drilled it into me!) and then use it more as intended - so that will be about March then!
Make sure you post up some pictures, when you stop driving it that is. One thing going for the sportback is that it has more 'interesting' looks from the majority of suv boxes out there...

Reactions: NevMan
Well collected today, not ideal whether and the little press conference over the weekend kind of blew my idea of having a quiet day off for collection - so an early morning call to discuss what it means for us (hospitality) and then an afternoon visit to see my aged Mum on the way back from the collection....

So excuse the quality of the pics, but here you go...

First thoughts - feels very like my SQ5 - which I guess is no surprise. Does docile cruiser really well. Touch screen worked well and I managed to get voice control working - even with my Derbyshire accent! Stereo is superb. Supersport seats are great, really suit my frame. I love the looks although I appreciate white with black wheels isnt for everyone..... I just wanted a change so white it was after I ruled out most of the other colours!

Havent played with settings too much yet but you can tell there is power there when wanted. Its not as hardcore as the M5, to me that is a good thing, I want docile cruiser than I want race car for road.

And every time I get out it made me turn and look at it, isnt that why we buy them really?

Attachments

• RS4 collection 2.jpg
    RS4 collection 2.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 267
  • RS4 collection 3.jpg
    RS4 collection 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 249
  • RS4 collection.jpg
    RS4 collection.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 281
Reactions: taks1, TDI-line, cuke2u and 7 others
Well after only 10 months it's nearly time to say goodbye to the Q8 as today I pulled the trigger and ordered a Q3 Sportback. Whilst I liked the Q8 I never truly gelled with it as I never really got to grips with the size or the weight - not that either were a surprise - or the wallowy ride. All probably because I came from an S4 even though I really wanted the Q8 for it's comfort, which I really couldn't argue with. Overall the Q8 is a great, comfy car with lots of kit and tech, but just not for me in the end. Should have listened to Mrs D who wanted a Q3 SB in the first place!! Oh well, we live and learn!

So, ordered a Q3 Sportback 45tfsi Vorsprung in Daytona, hopefully arriving back end of Jan which I'm really looking forward to. Keeping the raised driving position - which I must admit surprised me quite how much I liked - and all the toys (in fact more tbh) whilst getting a more right sized car for town and country lanes where I do most of my driving.
Good luck. I hope you enjoy it more than we did. Just no soul and yawn...but maybe we aren't typical as many seem to like them.

We’ve had quite a few potentially ‘boring’ cars in the family in recent years - 14 plate 1.2 Polo, 57 plate Golf 1.9tdi and 63 Passat 2.0 TDI estate but none of them exceeded the ‘ bland boredom’ of the Q3 Vorsprung 45 Sportback.

I am sure you will love it mate

Agreed I was looking at one of that exact spec in the showroom when I collected my car on Monday, looked great and I am sure will be perfect for your needs. Its easy to get carried away with what you think you need..... I justify mine on basis its my hobby as well as a car, but lets be honest, my Mini does most of what I need perfectly acceptably!

I would want at least half a day test drive before buying any car.

That's a bit dull - much more exciting to find out after you have parted with the money whether it suits or not!

So far I seem to be on 3 successes with Audi and only 1 fail with the other lot from Bavaria...

Reactions: NevMan and cosmicblue
That's a bit dull - much more exciting to find out after you have parted with the money whether it suits or not!

So far I seem to be on 3 successes with Audi and only 1 fail with the other lot from Bavaria...
Why is it dull to want a lengthy test drive? Or are you being sarcastic? I have no intention of parting with £30/50/120k without a thorough test drive.

Why is it dull to want a lengthy test drive? Or are you being sarcastic? I have no intention of parting with £30/50/120k without a thorough test drive.

I was referencing the excitement I have when waiting to see whether the car I have ordered will be any good for me, you miss that excitement!

If I test drove everything, I'd buy nothing. Either because I couldnt get the exact spec I was going to buy (adaptive suspension? same size wheels? other options that affect drive?) or because they all have something that puts me off - or because the one most like my current car wins because its most like my current car or loses because its very like my current car....

Agree that your way is the sensible way to do it, but for some of us it doesnt work with our decision making process!

Reactions: firecracker69 and NevMan
I was referencing the excitement I have when waiting to see whether the car I have ordered will be any good for me, you miss that excitement!

If I test drove everything, I'd buy nothing. Either because I couldnt get the exact spec I was going to buy (adaptive suspension? same size wheels? other options that affect drive?) or because they all have something that puts me off - or because the one most like my current car wins because its most like my current car or loses because its very like my current car....

Agree that your way is the sensible way to do it, but for some of us it doesnt work with our decision making process!
I get that, and it’s difficult to get the exact spec to test sometimes. We test drove a Q3 40 TFSI Sportback and thinking the 45 Vorsprung would be ‘better’ bought one. In reality it was boring as hell. Was keen on a AM Vantage, didn’t like it. Porsche Carrera 2S feels twitchy compared to a 4S so wouldn’t want a 2S. Glad I’ve been lucky enough to drive both. Some things you grow to love when you own the car but there has to be a bit of ‘love’ there on the first place.

I get that, and it’s difficult to get the exact spec to test sometimes. We test drove a Q3 40 TFSI Sportback and thinking the 45 Vorsprung would be ‘better’ bought one. In reality it was boring as hell. Was keen on a AM Vantage, didn’t like it. Porsche Carrera 2S feels twitchy compared to a 4S so wouldn’t want a 2S. Glad I’ve been lucky enough to drive both. Some things you grow to love when you own the car but there has to be a bit of ‘love’ there on the first place.

You are a very sensible and patient man. Good luck with the Porsche, I'd have a 911 over any competitor as a daily and go 4S as I dont trust myself with 2 wheel drive....

You are a very sensible and patient man. Good luck with the Porsche, I'd have a 911 over any competitor as a daily and go 4S as I dont trust myself with 2 wheel drive....
Targa 4S nearing the end of it's build..the RS4 will be the daily driver for now but will probably trade for something more modest at some point.

Last edited:

Would you ever get a Q8 in the future again?

Would you ever get a Q8 in the future again?
Can't imagine so. Too big for me, or certainly my usage - too much town and country road driving and not enough motorways/decent A roads. Nothing I didn't know before I got it obviously, just maybe underestimated the impact the size would have for me. Nothing wrong with a Q8 for what it is - all cars of that size would be the same - and I love the looks and the interior.

Can't imagine so. Too big for me, or certainly my usage - too much town and country road driving and not enough motorways/decent A roads. Nothing I didn't know before I got it obviously, just maybe underestimated the impact the size would have for me. Nothing wrong with a Q8 for what it is - all cars of that size would be the same - and I love the looks and the interior.
Fair enough I do like the design of the Q8. My question would be how much it would depreciate by in 3 years?

Fair enough I do like the design of the Q8. My question would be how much it would depreciate by in 3 years?

Whereas once it was fairly easy to have a stab and guessing 3 year depreciation, it's now rather more of a challenge as the car-residual-value landscape is rather more skewed.

For definite from the on the road price you will initially lose:

The VAT
Delivery cost
1st year's registration fee
Virtually all of the cost the options (trade price guides don't list options)
All the 'extras' the dealer uses to gain margin, fancy interior/exterior protection, GAP, alloy and tyre insurance etc.

The days of the IC engine are numbered for passenger vehicles, Diesel sales (most Q8' then) have been falling dramatically with the market interest in EVs rising and Audi committed to bring out new models at an every increasing rate which is surely going to detract from the resale values of 'old tech' especially three years from now. I'm definitely not having a dig here as I took delivery of a new RS three weeks ago today!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Q8 (and my RS) have lost 50% of their purchase price value in three years from now, maybe beyond 60%.

I have written many times that if depreciation is a concern then don't buy new cars, period, it is a terrible waste of money. One approach is to buy at around 9 months old after the initial brutal slug of value has been lost.

Reactions: NevMan, Mkay315 and paul wev
Whereas once it was fairly easy to have a stab and guessing 3 year depreciation, it's now rather more of a challenge as the car-residual-value landscape is rather more skewed.

The VAT
Delivery cost
All the 'extras' the dealer uses to gain margin, fancy interior/exterior protection, GAP, alloy and tyre insurance etc.

The days of the IC engine are numbered for passenger vehicles, Diesel sales (most Q8' then) have been falling dramatically with the market interest in EVs rising and Audi committed to bring out new models at an every increasing rate which is surely going to detract from the resale values of 'old tech' especially three years from now. I'm definitely not having a dig here as I took delivery of a new RS three weeks ago today!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Q8 (and my RS) have lost 50% of their purchase price value in three years from now, maybe beyond 60%.

I have written many times that if depreciation is a concern then don't buy new cars, period, it is a terrible waste of money. One approach is to buy at around 9 months old after the initial brutal slug of value has been lost.

Totally agree the q5 Vorsprung that I have just purchased had a list price of £59k. Mine was pre registered and had nominal mileage. After haggling paid £44k including rfl. It is 4 months old and the trade price now is in the region of £41k. The best deal for a brand new one would have been approx £52k. Most dealers wanted more. In the past I have normally been the first registered owner and lost shed loads of money - never again.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllanG, NevMan, cosmicblue and 1 other person

The VAT
Delivery cost

It's true. I tend to look at cars from 1 year old and onwards. I wouldn't want to take that initial hit as it would hurt me a lot.

My thing is that with the EVs coming out people are trying to get it thinking they're getting ahead of the times when really it's not the case as with technology things tend to move at an alarming rate and perhaps in 10 years time batteries in cars would be able to hold out for a longer length of time.

Most Q8s I've seen are diesel so that would be very interesting to see how well it sells in the next few years. Petrol cars seem to be safe (for now) but there's not many of those Q8s on the road. I suppose in the next few years people may be able to get these cars for a bargain price.

Reactions: NevMan, cosmicblue and Mittersill

The VAT
Delivery cost

Agree with everything in there except the VAT piece... you do not automatically see a 1/6th drop in the price when you drive off the forecourt as new car prices are set including VAT but secondhand prices are set by supply and demand - and whilst they include VAT on profit the dealer makes, its the market that sets the price. That's how you can flip an in demand car and make a profit despite 1/6th of purchace price being VAT...

If we leave the EU on WTO terms, we might see the value of our used cars rise as the tariff pushes new prices up and with it, second hand values to some extent....

I'd disagree there - the sticker price of a used car sat on a dealer lot won't reflect the drop - but the trade-in price will because the trade value of the car doesn't include the initial VAT amount. On a used car the dealer only pays VAT on the profit element of the deal.

Reactions: NevMan and Mkay315
I'd disagree there - the sticker price of a used car sat on a dealer lot won't reflect the drop - but the trade-in price will because the trade value of the car doesn't include the initial VAT amount. On a used car the dealer only pays VAT on the profit element of the deal.

Indeed, its that last point that saves you. I have run a Golf GTi PP for 18 months and sold back to the dealer (not part ex) for only slightly less than the net new price.... even my M5 that I ran for 11 months was only £2k less than the net price new when sold to a dealer. But my son in law runs a car via an employee car ownership scheme through his employer - a main dealer group. Its the VAT treatment that allows him to run it as a personal car not a company car as the company makes zero loss on the period (4 months ish) because to the company the price that matter on sale is net but on return is the market price - which is often higher than the net price and allows his tax free, essentially cost free car (except for financing cost).

My boss has just sold his GT3RS at more than list, I'll get him to explain how he lost the VAT on driving off the forecourt too....

Reactions: NevMan and Mkay315
Indeed, its that last point that saves you. I have run a Golf GTi PP for 18 months and sold back to the dealer (not part ex) for only slightly less than the net new price.... even my M5 that I ran for 11 months was only £2k less than the net price new when sold to a dealer. But my son in law runs a car via an employee car ownership scheme through his employer - a main dealer group. Its the VAT treatment that allows him to run it as a personal car not a company car as the company makes zero loss on the period (4 months ish) because to the company the price that matter on sale is net but on return is the market price - which is often higher than the net price and allows his tax free, essentially cost free car (except for financing cost).

My boss has just sold his GT3RS at more than list, I'll get him to explain how he lost the VAT on driving off the forecourt too....
These are all interesting points being made here and does anyone know who sets the VAT price of the car?