Q7 Q7 and CarPlay ..... what are the requirements

q7lurker

Reaction score
UK based.
Researching into buying a used Q7.
One of my requirements is Apple CarPlay.

Can anyone tell me what to look for in the specifications as to whether it may have CarPlay? Sometimes its not listed.
Are there certain years where it was standard?
Are there certain other components needed?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

The official name for it in the spec list is Audi Smartphone Interface.

Last edited:
The official name for it in the spec list is Audi Smartphone Interface.
Thanks.
So if the spec states Audi Smartphone Interface, then its got CarPlay? As simple as that? Nothing else needed except USB cable?

I think you have to be a bit more careful than that - Audi were plugging the 'Smartphone Interface ' marketing line when there was a a special cable that provided playback of audio media files on the device and nothing else.

CarPlay (and Android Auto for that matter) use a capability built into the phone's OS that was cable connected back in 2017 before transitioning to wireless in later model years.

Reactions: jdp1962
I think you have to be a bit more careful than that - Audi were plugging the 'Smartphone Interface ' marketing line when there was a a special cable that provided playback of audio media files on the device and nothing else.

CarPlay (and Android Auto for that matter) use a capability built into the phone's OS that was cable connected back in 2017 before transitioning to wireless in later model years.
Ah, sorry. That's much clearer.

Reactions: cosmicblue