Q5 Q5 MPG

Ashwood831

Reaction score
Morning,
Just bought the wife a 2011 Q5 with the 2.0 170 Quattro DSG. I am just checking what everyone’s true MPG is on this model..
The wife is about 31 mpg normally and we have just done a motor way run and only managed to get 39.6 at a max of 70mph.
is that normal to everyone? I have got a b8 a4 with the same engine but manual and I can get 50mpg on a run in mine, I know it’s heavier and the Quattro won’t help!
Any help appreciated.
thanks.

I must have lead boots I just topped mine up this morning as I have a long working week ahead and can’t be ***** fighting for fuel, I only use bp ultimate or Shell v power and I averaged a huge…… 27mpg, I use a fuel app and not the onboard computer. I do have side steps and Heko wind deflectors so it probably has the aerodynamics of a breeze block but even so I would have expected better, I’ll see what this tank returns before I investigate.

I managed nearly 700 miles to the last tank but it was all motorway miles, over 50 mpg. Around town is around 30 mpg though.

Reactions: mattyboyc
Yep, lead boots, sports mode on the gearbox all the way. I think the 3.0 is more efficient.

I must have lead boots I just topped mine up this morning as I have a long working week ahead and can’t be ***** fighting for fuel, I only use bp ultimate or Shell v power and I averaged a huge…… 27mpg, I use a fuel app and not the onboard computer. I do have side steps and Heko wind deflectors so it probably has the aerodynamics of a breeze block but even so I would have expected better, I’ll see what this tank returns before I investigate.
You should get an RS4, I'm averaging 28 since I had it.....

(I do have a runaround for short journeys so tend to only take the audi if going a decent journey and more often than not with the dog, who hates being thrown around the boot!)

You should get an RS4, I'm averaging 28 since I had it.....

(I do have a runaround for short journeys so tend to only take the audi if going a decent journey and more often than not with the dog, who hates being thrown around the boot!)
I think your right! I got the side steps for it so my Sausage dog could get in a bit easier. try putting him in the boot, you wouldn’t hear the last of it, he has to stand on the arm rest and look out the window.

I think your right! I got the side steps for it so my Sausage dog could get in a bit easier. try putting him in the boot, you wouldn’t hear the last of it, he has to stand on the arm rest and look out the window.
Dog isnt allowed in the car! She has a transK9 crate in the boot, with a bed, and is fine most of the time....

I had an M5 before the RS4 but got rid as it annoyed me when I stopped and came back to the car and found she had been on every seat!

Ah, so it seems early 30’s is right then!! ‍♂️
thats disappointing about the 3.0 as we were about to get the 3.0 and went for this thinking it would be better on fuel.
The rs4 would have been my choice 100%… I am planning to just come home one day in on the same colour as my b8 and hope she doesn’t notice!!

I picked up new Q5 45 TFSI mid September... my god is it thirsty!!

2016 SQ5 BiTDi: 200-mile round trip yesterday Cannock to Peterborough (delivering a near-mint set of TT rims and summer tyres sold here on ASN, thank you) and back using M6 Toll, M6, A14, and A605 and returned 38.6-mpg. Cruise at 75-80 on the M6 Toll and M6 (cruise-control), and 70-ish on the A14. A605 40 to 70 I guess. Running in 'comfort' with paddle-shift over-ride as and when like roundabout extits, etc.

Overall since purchase and almost zero motorway is 27.7 and I'm sure happy with that fro a 2-ton machine with a 5.0 0-60mph time which tends to be used lots :racer:

My previous Q5 2.0 TFSI averaged 33 mpg over the 18500 miles I had it from new, which is certainly better than the 26.8 mpg I’m averaging in my Macan S V6 3.0 litre petrol!

So our 2011 8P RS3 2.5 5-pot TFSi has done 25.6-mpg overall from new.

Our 2010 8J TT 4-pot TFSi has done 28.5-mpg overall from 2011 purchase

Our 2016 8R SQ5 3.0 V6 BiTDi has done 27.7-mpg from 2019 purchase

Not so much real-world difference really so it must be the driver - who doesn't much really care other than for record purposes... :racer:

Getting older by the day and still having as much fun now as I did back then - but now don't worry at all about the £s :superman:

Morning,
Just bought the wife a 2011 Q5 with the 2.0 170 Quattro DSG. I am just checking what everyone’s true MPG is on this model..
The wife is about 31 mpg normally and we have just done a motor way run and only managed to get 39.6 at a max of 70mph.
is that normal to everyone? I have got a b8 a4 with the same engine but manual and I can get 50mpg on a run in mine, I know it’s heavier and the Quattro won’t help!
Any help appreciated

Having used mine now for a month or so
On the normal journeys I do this DIS average shows 35ish, the true average by my fuel app is around 31, that’s using a K&N air filter and she’ll V-power fuel over two full tanks, I will use the cheaper diesel next fill up to see what, or if any difference.

Having used mine now for a month or so
On the normal journeys I do this DIS average shows 35ish, the true average by my fuel app is around 31, that’s using a K&N air filter and she’ll V-power fuel over two full tanks, I will use the cheaper diesel next fill up to see what, or if any difference.
We are currently about 32 I think on the computer. The wife is getting used to it slowly, one of the small cons to such an awesome car! Other than the fuel, these are epic motors. I have got the b8 with the same engine but manual and the difference is night and day. Although the Dsg is a little revvy… we are finding ourselves knocking it up a gear a lot to try and keep the revs down. Is that normal??

♂️Probably , I just select “s” on the stick and bury my right foot into the old shagpile.

60E70860 6B95 43AA A313 CF6727A79A15

Reactions: isleaiw
you cant beat a small manual car for fun on a B road, I have a Mini Cooper (only 136hp) alongside the RS4, but I reckon the Mini is more fun more often on country roads as the RS4 is so fast and capable.

I wouldnt swap the RS4 though, sometimes when you are pressing on you want competent not "fun" - and it still makes me smile every time I drive it, you just cant really test the chassis much at 60 mph or less.....

you cant beat a small manual car for fun on a B road, I have a Mini Cooper (only 136hp) alongside the RS4, but I reckon the Mini is more fun more often on country roads as the RS4 is so fast and capable.

I wouldnt swap the RS4 though, sometimes when you are pressing on you want competent not "fun" - and it still makes me smile every time I drive it, you just cant really test the chassis much at 60 mph or less.....
It is additctive to fire it all the way round the Rev range especially with it having bigger cams in
However, over an rs4 in my opinion there is not a lot better… will get there one day