Q5 Q5 buying advice

Agric04

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi I'm in need of some Q5 buying advice if anyone has experience to share. I've a baby on the way so we're looking to change our 2014 3dr A3 to a more family friendly 2009/10 Q5.

Must haves:
S-tronic
S-line
Tow bar prep
Sat nav
Tinted windows
Heated front seats

Does anyone know what build date tow bar prep came in as standard? And how to tell if a car has it from the codes in the handbook or boot sticker?

2.0 tdi vs 3.0tdi? More a question of running costs than performance as I know the 3.0tdi will be in a different league 0-60. In real world driving is there much difference in mpg and are servicing cost much different between the two engines?

Should I be fearful of high mileage on a 6-7 year old s-tronic? I have seen a few very high spec Q5's in my budget but they tend to have 120k+ on the clock. On a manual I'd have no worries but I've no experience of a high miler s-tronic!

Are there any recalls to look out for? Did the Q5 suffer from high oil usage in its early years?

I have vcds so any car I buy I'll be scanning for fault codes. Anything to watch out for?

Any pearls of wisdom greatly received. Thanks

I would be careful buying any high mileage S Tronic Audi. The mechatronic unit is expensive to replace.

The old 2.0TDI is (in my opinion) underpowered and many owners report real world fuel consumption is nowhere near Audi figures. If you can afford it, the 3.0 is far better and owners report fuel consumption little more than 2.0TDI.

Major service on 2.0 & 3.0 by Audi dealer is £309 & £399 respectively.

You will appreciate the large boot for all those baby "essentials"

Thanks missile, I've got a 2015 2.0tdi A5 S-tronic and even remapped I feel it's underpowered, regret not getting the 3.0tdi, thought the 2.0tdi would be more economical than it is but as you say the real world difference is negligible. The 3.0tdi is the preferred option especially after your comments helping to sway me

Pleased to help. All of the Q5s are great cars, you will not be disappointed. The red ones are quicker :redrs4:

Congratulations on the baby

Hi I'm in need of some Q5 buying advice if anyone has experience to share. I've a baby on the way so we're looking to change our 2014 3dr A3 to a more family friendly 2009/10 Q5.

Must haves:
S-tronic
S-line
Tow bar prep
Sat nav
Tinted windows
Heated front seats

Does anyone know what build date tow bar prep came in as standard? And how to tell if a car has it from the codes in the handbook or boot sticker?

2.0 tdi vs 3.0tdi? More a question of running costs than performance as I know the 3.0tdi will be in a different league 0-60. In real world driving is there much difference in mpg and are servicing cost much different between the two engines?

Should I be fearful of high mileage on a 6-7 year old s-tronic? I have seen a few very high spec Q5's in my budget but they tend to have 120k+ on the clock. On a manual I'd have no worries but I've no experience of a high miler s-tronic!

Are there any recalls to look out for? Did the Q5 suffer from high oil usage in its early years?

I have vcds so any car I buy I'll be scanning for fault codes. Anything to watch out for?

Any pearls of wisdom greatly received. Thanks
How did you get on mate? I'm looking for a q5 myself

Well after looking at about 5 Q5’s I bought a 2009 3.0tdi back in March 2016. There’s a lot of rubbish out there! Absolutely love our Q5, found one with lots of extras in great condition but unfortunately going to be selling it soon as 16months on and my partner is still not back to work after our little one arrived so need to economise!

Get around 37mpg on the motorway which I think is great for what it is.

How soon are you selling? I have a 57plate a4. Avant special ed Quattro it's great on fuel for a remapped 2.0 @210hp breaks into the 50's on the motorway!