Q3 Q3 or Q3 Sportback?

GeorgeC

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere before, couldn't seem to find a specific thread on it anywhere when searching.

Basically, I'm due for a new company car and pretty much decided on an Audi SUV. I'm a bit torn between a Q3 S-line model or the Q3 Sportback Sport model, both 35 TFSI S-Tronic.

Has anyone gone with one over the other and why? I do a lot of long distance driving so comfort and driving quality is the main thing for me, much more so than how "fun" it is to drive or raw engine power etc. Difficult as due to lockdown I can't go and test drive any cars but I do need to select a model before the end of February (I'm also eyeing up the A4 S-Line TFSI too but would prefer an SUV - unless people have particularly good feedback for the A4 so would welcome that too).

Cheers lads

We have the standard Q3 albeit the 2015-2019 shape however one thing to maybe note is practicality.
What I noticed with the A7 I had is as much as I loved the shape, the boot was just not practical because of the slanted boot lid closure. What it meant is while the height was there at the back, it was reduced a lot the closer I got to the opening to the point I could not even get a Bugaboo pram in without either shuffling it a lot or removing the larger wheels.

Other than that, I would have thought it was just cosmetics rather than a different drive unless aerodynamic makes a difference

Reactions: GeorgeC
I looked at both body shapes before buying the current RS - the Sportback is physically more attractive (apart from the RS version rear bumper which is pig-ugly - not a concern for you) but slightly less practical - less rear seat headroom and a single panel glass pano roof.

Go for the normal version and use the price difference to spec the 'Comfort & Sound Pack' - the standard audio system is pants.

There are more new shape (F3) Q3 owners here: https://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forums/

I have to say I am not sure I could run one of those as a company car, what BIK band does it fall into? ETA 34% now rising to 36% in two tax years.... so £4500 quid a year if a 40% yax payer with limited options added....

I'd be looking for a hybrid - probably a 330e with maybe 6% BIK rather than 30% plus. Cars are nice but giving a couple of hundred quid a month less to the taxman is nicer! You might be able to save £3500 a year if you choose more carefully....

Last edited:
And if it's a company car - do you have a cash alternative instead? As isleaiw has just pointed out the tax burden is considerable where as funding a car, claiming the running costs back from HMRC can work out better for you...I binned the Company car idea back in 2001.

I went standard, only because it offered a better discount at the time.
I used the spare money on a standard sport to add the comfort and sound pack which is fantastic.
The B&O is worth it, and rear camera and heated seats are well used.

I looked at both body shapes before buying the current RS - the Sportback is physically more attractive (apart from the RS version rear bumper which is pig-ugly - not a concern for you) but slightly less practical - less rear seat headroom and a single panel glass pano roof.

Go for the normal version and use the price difference to spec the 'Comfort & Sound Pack' - the standard audio system is pants.

There are more new shape (F3) Q3 owners here: https://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forums/

Thanks for the response mate. Thankfully backseat room is not a big concern, myself and my fiance have no kids so the backseats will hardly ever get used. I like the look of the Sportback more so if the only real issues are backseat headroom then I may well end up going for that option. Thanks!

I have to say I am not sure I could run one of those as a company car, what BIK band does it fall into? ETA 34% now rising to 36% in two tax years.... so £4500 quid a year if a 40% yax payer with limited options added....

I'd be looking for a hybrid - probably a 330e with maybe 6% BIK rather than 30% plus. Cars are nice but giving a couple of hundred quid a month less to the taxman is nicer! You might be able to save £3500 a year if you choose more carefully....

Hey man, thanks for that. So the BIK is 32% rising to 34% in 2 years. In terms of hybrids, the premium brand hybrids are all way out of the budget I'm given (E-trons starting at £55k+ is crazy), I have to work within a ROTR budget of up to £38k which rules out almost all electric/hybrids even the 330e.

In fairness, the tax per month isn't too big an issue. I'd obvs happily only pay 8% if it was an option haha but my current car isn't a million miles away in price from the Q3 anyway so it doesn't make a huge difference to me from a price perspective.

And if it's a company car - do you have a cash alternative instead? As isleaiw has just pointed out the tax burden is considerable where as funding a car, claiming the running costs back from HMRC can work out better for you...I binned the Company car idea back in 2001.

Unfortunately no cash option. My company are great but they're pretty rigid when it comes to the car front haha. Frustrating really as the budget I'm set is up to ROTR £38k and we refresh cars every 3 years or so. I feel like over the 3 years, if you gave me £38k in car allowance I could make it go way way further but hey ho, it is what it is. In fairness, this way is really easy for me - I don't have to claim anything back, no faffing with paperwork, if there's issue I just call work and they organise everything via the dealership for me so pros and cons I suppose.

We have the standard Q3 albeit the 2015-2019 shape however one thing to maybe note is practicality.
What I noticed with the A7 I had is as much as I loved the shape, the boot was just not practical because of the slanted boot lid closure. What it meant is while the height was there at the back, it was reduced a lot the closer I got to the opening to the point I could not even get a Bugaboo pram in without either shuffling it a lot or removing the larger wheels.

Other than that, I would have thought it was just cosmetics rather than a different drive unless aerodynamic makes a difference

Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully we don't have a family so boot space and backseat space is not a huge concern but thanks for that, I'll take note. I suspect it's going to be more down to aesthetics, just curious as I've seen some online reviews saying the Sportback as worse visibility when reversing (an issue given I spend a lot of my time parking in tight, congested NHS hospital multi-stories) and mixed reviews on which model handles the weight of the car better given it's essentially a 1.5l engine, seen some guys criticising the Q3 in 35 TFSI but then review the Sportback and say it's perfectly punchy so not sure. Really frustrating not being able to go and test them out.

Hey man, thanks for that. So the BIK is 32% rising to 34% in 2 years. In terms of hybrids, the premium brand hybrids are all way out of the budget I'm given (E-trons starting at £55k+ is crazy), I have to work within a ROTR budget of up to £38k which rules out almost all electric/hybrids even the 330e.

In fairness, the tax per month isn't too big an issue. I'd obvs happily only pay 8% if it was an option haha but my current car isn't a million miles away in price from the Q3 anyway so it doesn't make a huge difference to me from a price perspective.

That's a bit of a bummer, glad to see they have recognised the importance of residuals in determining what car you can have by some form of cost per mile rule not just list price (didnt that die with the ark...?)

There is a lower powered 320e due soon or you could get an X1 25e hybrid for less than £38k just and starts at 10% BIK rising to 12% in two years. Thats a couple of hundred quid a month in your pocket......and hits 0-60 in less than 7 secs.....

That's a bit of a bummer, glad to see they have recognised the importance of residuals in determining what car you can have by some form of cost per mile rule not just list price (didnt that die with the ark...?)

There is a lower powered 320e due soon or you could get an X1 25e hybrid for less than £38k just and starts at 10% BIK rising to 12% in two years. Thats a couple of hundred quid a month in your pocket......and hits 0-60 in less than 7 secs.....

Yeah I suspect there will be cheaper and cheaper hybrids coming out soon. The problem with them is I'm not a fan of BMWs at all. But ideally by the time I will be due a new one (2024) then the premium hybrid market is a lot more affordable as that would be the best of both worlds!

Yeah I suspect there will be cheaper and cheaper hybrids coming out soon. The problem with them is I'm not a fan of BMWs at all. But ideally by the time I will be due a new one (2024) then the premium hybrid market is a lot more affordable as that would be the best of both worlds!

Shame about the BMW thing, I have had as many BMWs as Audis and would always look at their option before deciding on what to have. And for hybrids they are well ahead of many.

To be honest, I'd drive a Kia to avoid giving the tax man £250 a month!