Q3 Climate Control 8P Retrofit

I didn't understand what he was saying
"To get it too be RHD goto adaptation and get it too learn it will swap over."

how do i get it to learn ?

basically, go to Auto HVAC then go to adaption, and there is a button that says start if I remember correctly.

it takes about 3 mins to 'learn the positions' of all the vent positions by opening and closing them individually. once its finished the heated memory option switched from passenger to driver :)

Problem is HVAC has about 30+ channels all of which have start button at the bottom.

Great shame they dont just fit a brexit button which liberates the car, makes everything work and engages a life time warranty on all parts. :)

Reactions: EvilSmurph
Problem is HVAC has about 30+ channels all of which have start button at the bottom.

Great shame they dont just fit a brexit button which liberates the car, makes everything work and engages a life time warranty on all parts. :)
Would it come with 350m weekly for NHS too?

So to clarify then the best one to get is 8U0820043G ? Then its a case of sanding edges or putting the old board into the new housing?

If you have heated seats the 8U0820043G is fine. I think there is an earlier version than the G (with heated seats) that also works.

If you have heated seats you can’t change the internals.

Sand the sides. You also need to take the back off your old CC and swap it onto the new CC. Fit then run Adaptation and seat heating temperatures (both via VCDS)

Reactions: Rojer
If you have heated seats the 8U0820043G is fine. I think there is an earlier version than the G (with heated seats) that also works.

If you have heated seats you can’t change the internals.

Sand the sides. You also need to take the back off your old CC and swap it onto the new CC. Fit then run Adaptation and seat heating temperatures (both via VCDS)

I do have heated seats yes. So G is the latest revision? Are the differences significant between the revisions? So i will need to sand the side and then swap the backs over and then run Adaptation and adjust the heated seats in VCDS correct?

Hi @Rojer, based on the the thread thats how I understand it - I have't actually fitted my VersionG yet as my car is still in Audi. I'm sure one of the other members will be along shortly and confirm.

Rojer
You will be fine especially if you panel is from a UK car. I never did get mine to change over from LHD but its not a great deal.
I used an orbital sander and a medium paper, took about 15mins to get it spot on.

Reactions: Rojer and samuelh_888
Hi All,

I finally have my car back from Audi (not impressed with them but I won't go into that here) so I’ve decided to fit the Q3 CC. I masked the unit up and set to sanding, carefully, it too about 10 min per side.

I fitted the unit (a snug fit) and to echo you all above it does look great. Like a mini face-lift.

Re the coding, I’ve been able to set the heated seat setting for channel 26 (08-Auto HVAC > Adaptation - 10 > Channel 26) and it’s all good but I can't work out where I set the Adaption for it to learn my car vents etc, I don’t see anything in Adaptation - 10

However, if I go into 08-Auto HVAC >Basic Settings - 04 and select Go!, beside Group 1 I get the on/off button.

• Is this where is set the adaption, is there another group I need to set as there is many channels?
  • How do I know if it’s on or off as I just see Basic Settings Off at the top of the page
Overall, really happy with this mod.

Thanks for all your help.
Sam

Reactions: Rojer
Hi sam
well done :)
Do you need to get it to learn vents ? mine seems to function anyway on all settings ? I did turn the heat down on the seats for setting 3.

Hi @paddy.
It seems to be working well but I believe it’s the adaption step needed for learning.

From my 3rd image, I’m not sure what channel to run the adaption against. I did run it against 01 but maybe @mechanic69 or @Arkious could confirm! Until I run 01 I don’t get an ON/OFF. Just not sure what the correct Group to run against is.

I am however getting one error but it’s expected based on previous posts: 00457 - Control Module for Network (J519)

Last edited:
As far as i can see the channel 0 is the flap learning channel on an A4 so probably the same on A3 ?.

I found a post that said
go to basic settings channel 0 and let the flaps in the dash learn there positions.

Reactions: samuelh_888
the fault code never goes but doesn't cause trouble.

There is only 1 code I got on both units I have fitted.

00457 - Control Module for Network (J519)
004 - No Signal/Communication

I still got the 047 code doesn’t effect anything just annoying. I think it’s a problem with the canbus module. Changed it for a module from a Q3 but it didn’t allow me to set it up with all the options I needed for my model so whipped it straight out. At 40 quid a go 8 didn’t want to randomly keep trying different modules but it might be the way to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the adaption left to right go here

Cheers @mechanic69 - when I go into 04-Basic Settings I don’t get any On/Off.

It only appears after I select Go! beside Group 001. I need to give Group 000 a try as @paddy suggested. Beyond that I’m not sure what Group to select.

Nevertheless it’s working brilliantly - the support, as always, is much appreciated.

AC97DAF5 7913 47CC 99DB 74CF53376145

Awesome work @samuelh_888 gives me inspiration to do mine. Did you sand it just 2/3mm then? I might be messaging you for advice when i do mine!

Cheers @mechanic69 - when I go into 04-Basic Settings I don’t get any On/Off.

It only appears after I select Go! beside Group 001. I need to give Group 000 a try as @paddy suggested. Beyond that I’m not sure what Group to select.

Nevertheless it’s working brilliantly - the support, as always, is much appreciated.

View attachment 141524

Your in the wrong screen, that is just to see what the groups are reading you can’t change the settings there, these are measuring blocks on the left of each module screen.

You need to go the module selection screen/menu, there you select HVAC 08. Then each module screen has basic functions on the left like the screen you show at Meas Blocks 08.

On the right side of each module menu is advanced functions, there you got to Basic Settings 04 to run the adaption

Reactions: ch1z64 and paddy
Awesome work @samuelh_888 gives me inspiration to do mine. Did you sand it just 2/3mm then? I might be messaging you for advice when i do mine!

Yip, about 3mm off each side. I taped the unit up and left the edges free but unfortunately I didn't take a before photo.

Your in the wrong screen, that is just to see what the groups are reading you can’t change the settings there, these are measuring blocks on the left of each module screen.

You need to go the module selection screen/menu, there you select HVAC 08. Then each module screen has basic functions on the left like the screen you show at Meas Blocks 08.

On the right side of each module menu is advanced functions, there you got to Basic Settings 04 to run the adaption

Thanks @mechanic69 - I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I just want to the car to have another go - I'm accessing Basic Settings - 04 under the Advanced Functions (on the right) - I've added a couple of screen shots below. Only after I select Go! beside Group 001 do I get ADP OK and the ON/OFF/Next button. I'm not sure why it say's my Basic Settings are OFF.

Img1: From Control Module page, 08 - Auto HVAC

Img2. Basic Settings - 04

Img 3: I'm not sure if Group 001 is correct but if I select Go! I get ADP OK. It only takes 6.5 sec to calibrate.

If I go into Measuring Blocks - 08 I see a very similar screen to above except it has more groups on the page.

It all seems to be running well and the memory is on the drivers seat so I'm pretty happy with it as it is - just not sure if I'm being thick on finding the right settings!

Last edited:
Yip, about 3mm off each side. I taped the unit up and left the edges free but unfortunately I didn't take a before photo.

Thanks @mechanic69 - I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I just want to the car to have another go - I'm accessing Basic Settings - 04 under the Advanced Functions (on the right) - I've added a couple of screen shots below. Only after I select Go! beside Group 001 do I get ADP OK and the ON/OFF/Next button. I'm not sure why it say's my Basic Settings are OFF.

View attachment 141615
Img1: From Control Module page, 08 - Auto HVAC

View attachment 141616
Img2. Basic Settings - 04

View attachment 141617
Img 3: I'm not sure if Group 001 is correct but if I select Go! I get ADP OK. It only takes 6.5 sec to calibrate.

If I go into Measuring Blocks - 08 I see a very similar screen to above except it has more groups on the page.

It all seems to be running well and the memory is on the drivers seat so I'm pretty happy with it as it is - just not sure if I'm being thick on finding the right settings!

your nearly there press the on/off/next button at top and wait till it says adaptation ok again. the only change you will notice is that you can control the passenger temp from the drivers side

if you then go to measuring blocks GRP20 you should see this when you hover the mouse over the numbers, the last three should change from 000 to 100

IMG 3580 zpsa5zduxs6original

Reactions: paddy and samuelh_888
your nearly there press the on/off/next button at top and wait till it says adaptation ok again. the only change you will notice is that you can control the passenger temp from the drivers side

if you then go to measuring blocks GRP20 you should see this when you hover the mouse over the numbers, the last three should change from 000 to 100

View attachment 141627

Im assuming you know how to sync the driver side heat controller to control the passenger side? I think you hold the temp controller to the right until both temps go up and down together, this will only change if the passenger changes their temp then you need to sync again.

Yip - If I hold the Auto button down for several seconds then I can control both sides together. If the passenger dares touch their side then it resets...

Thanks mechanic, i now have driver side operation :)
I notice in your sig you have a BCS Downpipe + CAT ? Is that mated to the std exhaust ?
I plan to do this but i just wondered if there were any problems with the restrictive silencers or smaller rear pipe sections.

Thanks mechanic, i now have driver side operation :)
I notice in your sig you have a BCS Downpipe + CAT ? Is that mated to the std exhaust ?
I plan to do this but i just wondered if there were any problems with the restrictive silencers or smaller rear pipe sections.

I read the most restrictive part for power is the front section from the turbo and then the CAT and couldn’t afford 1400 quid at the time, best power for buck was the front section only, comes with an adapter to mate to rear section. The BCS is 3” and the stock is 2.5” not much of a difference. The BCS rear gives better noise and probably a bit more power but that’s another 800 quid make your own mind up. The min requirement for stage 2.5 is the front section and CAT

Thanks for all the VCDS info guys, will have a look at mine at the weekend.

Actually a 3" dia pipe will flow 75% more gas than a 2.5" pipe so its pretty significant .

Hi @paddy.
It seems to be working well but I believe it’s the adaption step needed for learning.

From my 3rd image, I’m not sure what channel to run the adaption against. I did run it against 01 but maybe @mechanic69 or @Arkious could confirm! Until I run 01 I don’t get an ON/OFF. Just not sure what the correct Group to run against is.

I am however getting one error but it’s expected based on previous posts: 00457 - Control Module for Network (J519)

i guess theres no fix yet for that, right? my OCD is driving me nuts with it, i guess you're all the same.
is it something you get used to it?

i guess theres no fix yet for that, right? my OCD is driving me nuts with it, i guess you're all the same.
is it something you get used to it?

Still annoys me knowing it’s there but doesn’t get in the way of anything, my gut feeling says it needs a different canbus module but don’t know which one.

Never tried looking for one as it makes no difference to its function, just a little error code.

On the newer 8V yeah, but the 8P is just the same as the A3. I put the RS Q3 one into my RS3 which is slightly different again

Did it sort the code out?

Nope same fault unfortunately, just looks a little better with the black screen cover instead of it being recessed and thin chrome rings instead of the thick chrome.

1F78F27D 8DE5 4445 869D FD18BC09AFC0

Reactions: mechanic69
As it’s the only error code I have, I know it’s self inflicted so my OCD can deal with it at the moment!

Reactions: Arkious and mechanic69
As it’s the only error code I have, I know it’s self inflicted so my OCD can deal with it at the moment!

Self inflicted but a way better controller than the 8p version, love the seat heating switches, why did audi ever think you would need 6 positions for heating???