Q3 Climate Control 8P Retrofit

Its was on ebay Germany Sam, i have had half an out for one for some time but the car has had so many other problems i didn't want to start another.

Reactions: samuelh_888
I took off the rubber bits on the side and trimmed up to where they end IIRC
OK thanks
I will probably pull the old one and make a card template for starters and go from there.

Belt sander could cost more than the panel...lol :)

I will let you know how i get on if i ever get the car back from the garage.

Belt sander could cost more than the panel...lol :)

I will let you know how i get on if i ever get the car back from the garage.
might be worth just using the Elbow grease as its free but time consuming

when I spent what was a fortune to me on the RS I wanted it perfect, so the bit extra was worth it and its there for future purposes haha

Sounds good

Its that or gaffer tape the unit to the top of the dash ? :)

Reactions: Arkious and mechanic69
Sounds good

Its that or gaffer tape the unit to the top of the dash ? :)

you'll manage and you will need to let us all see your Handy work , before you know it you'll be running classes on how to do it at your Local Commuinity Centre .:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Reactions: S.
Best Interior mod I've done in my opinion. With the way dashboards are going nowadays, the older dashboards are looking older quicker!

I always thought it was odd that they changed the display on the clocks from red to white and left the heater but TBH the real mistake in my opinion was that scroll wheel heated seats thing and the lack of illumination on the button to say they were off or on.

Got the Q3 panel fitted today, pretty straight forward, re set the max temp to 55 on the third button light.
I'm going to find the auto dim pretty annoying, obviously the red panel did it too but the white panel goes really dim.... I have a pet hate for machines doing things that i don't want them too because some guy in Audi R&D thought it would be cool. Infuriates me when ever i stop in traffic and the radio turns itself down...I mean it's my radio !! don't i get a say ? :)
Anyway, i couldn't get the new panel to snap into place so i will need to look at that, its tight enough that its never going to fall out but i think the panel is slightly different, my old one had an angle at the bottom back that covers some rubber stops where as this one seems doesnt have the angle and seems to push against them so its not quite clicking into place. I also need to work out how to tell it its now in a RHD car :)

Got the Q3 panel fitted today, pretty straight forward, re set the max temp to 55 on the third button light.
I'm going to find the auto dim pretty annoying, obviously the red panel did it too but the white panel goes really dim.... I have a pet hate for machines doing things that i don't want them too because some guy in Audi R&D thought it would be cool. Infuriates me when ever i stop in traffic and the radio turns itself down...I mean it's my radio !! don't i get a say ? :)
Anyway, i couldn't get the new panel to snap into place so i will need to look at that, its tight enough that its never going to fall out but i think the panel is slightly different, my old one had an angle at the bottom back that covers some rubber stops where as this one seems doesnt have the angle and seems to push against them so its not quite clicking into place. I also need to work out how to tell it its now in a RHD car :)

To get it too be RHD goto adaptation and get it too learn it will swap over. You have to split your old one with the new one, ie up the new front on the old back to get it to fit right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: paddy
spot on mechanic, swapped backs over and it clicked into place first time. Cant see what the difference was but i see the new back does not fit my old panel.Anyway the old back fits the new panel so all is well....

Now footwell lights...:)and maybe door handle ambient lighting ..

Reactions: mechanic69
I was toying with a whole interior LED colour change from Red to the new White... still not sure if I want to do it. I have sat and soldered each individual LED before, but that was in a cheap Corsa not an expensive RS haha

Seems i have a problem now the colder weather is here. On Auto the fan does not work. Looking at other people pictures on this thread using the Q3 panel i see no one else's fan is working on Auto either. This means on a cold day the Climate control is really reverting to just "air con" and can never warm the car up without fan assist.

EDIT
Good news is i chucked the old unit away yesterday and just retrieved it from the bin and its undamaged :)

Last edited:
Reactions: S. and maxpayne
Seems i have a problem now the colder weather is here. On Auto the fan does not work. Looking at other people pictures on this thread using the Q3 panel i see no one else's fan is working on Auto either. This means on a cold day the Climate control is really reverting to just "air con" and can never warm the car up without fan assist.

EDIT
Good news is i chucked the old unit away yesterday and just retrieved it from the bin and its undamaged :)

My Q3 Climate was fitted by the previous owner of my car, but I have never taken it off auto, everything works perfect. So possibly a coding issue?

Can somebody confirm if this is true for other cars?

That's interesting because if you look back through this thread none of the Q3 pictures show the fan image on auto but as soon as you touch the +/- buttons the logo comes on but ?Auto goes off

IMG 20171015 154446
Cool a
are you saying when you push auto the fan speed display stays lite ?

AFAIK you have the G-version, which somebody said hides the fan speed when in Auto mode. I'm not able to confirm though.

EDIT:
Yes completely covered and extended up to the twist dials, if that makes sense... even the fan speed being hidden when on Auto, is a nice feature.

Last edited:
TBH i think its hidden because its not engaged. With the old red panel if you turned the temp up to 25c the fan would come on, it doesnt withthe new panel unless you disengage the auto. so basically auto doesnt work with this panel as far as i can see.

In cold weather it doesn't matter how high I dial the temp if the engine is still cold. It needs a threshold of coolant temperature before the climate control is allowed to "steal" its warmth. But if this happens even on a warmed up engine - then something is wrong.

Well if you put the aircon on and turn the temp down to 16c the fan should come on whatever the engine temp ?

We need some others with this Q3 panel to confirm what happens on theirs.

Ok so this is mine. Full Auto as I always have it. Fan speed does not raise for hot until engine has warmed up.

The version of the Q3 panel I had fitted to my A3 just had the white screen but looked the same as the original. That used to show the fan speed in auto.

The new version of the Q3 I have fitted to my RS3 does not show the fan speed in auto but it does work as expected. I prefer it that way actually

ok thanks guys, i will run it up to temp again tomorrow and report back :)

Ok so this is mine. Full Auto as I always have it. Fan speed does not raise for hot until engine has warmed up.

That's what my A3 one looked like yeah. I have the style that Paddy has fitted in my RS3 and it works exactly the same but just does not display the fan speed. It does not allow the fans to go nuts when the cabin is cold and the engine is cold, but if the cabin is hot the fans go nuts when you first start up just as I would expect them to

Tested this morning with red CC panel. Cold engine, 4 celcius outside temp. No matter if on LO or 25 degrees, the fan speed does not change until engine temp rises.

Reactions: Arkious
OK thanks Guys i have it sorted
The fan works on Auto but if you set it to Hi...it only works in the footwells, if you set it to Lo it works on the dash vents as well
I had it on 22c and couldn't get any blow from the dash vents but it is blowing in the footwells. I am pretty deaf so i cant hear the fan so i need to feel it to know its working.

Reactions: Arkious, S. and samuelh_888
Received my Q3 climate today, version 8U0820043G; hopefully it’s ok. It’s from a UK seller and is in mint condition. Unfortunately my car is back in Audi so not sure when I’ll fit it but hopefully early in the week.

13BF035E EB44 45ED BFDB DBA1BE971B55

Reactions: S.
Good luck, its not too difficult to fit. I still have issues with mine, it seems to do everything it needs to do but i have various fault codes i cant clear that have only been there since i fitted the Q3 panel.

Good luck, its not too difficult to fit. I still have issues with mine, it seems to do everything it needs to do but i have various fault codes i cant clear that have only been there since i fitted the Q3 panel.

I’m a little OCD about errors :grumpy: Do you think they can be resolved?

I don't know. When i disconnected the original panel it threw up a fault code understandably to say lost contact with HVAC module. Having reconnected it i cant now delete the fault code. the code still has the original date i changed the panel but i cant clear it.It just instantly returns. Also have another code to say there is a mechanical issue with a vent motor but all are working ok and was fine with old panel. As i say it all works but its annoying having these codes i cant clear.

Reactions: samuelh_888
the fault code never goes but doesn't cause trouble.

There is only 1 code I got on both units I have fitted.

00457 - Control Module for Network (J519)
004 - No Signal/Communication

Agreed it doesnt cause a problem. I never got mine to understand its now in a Right hand drive car :) but i think that's just me.

Ohh really? mine worked straight away following mechanic69's advice.