Q3 Climate Control 8P Retrofit

Darren92

Solutions
Reaction score
Seen a couple of threads unanswered a couple of years ago so thought I'd put this up.

I've fitted it, requires some trimming on the sides but other than that, its plug & play.

Part number I used for non-heated seats was 8U0 820 043 B.

Looks so far better than the old red LCD!

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 08: Auto HVAC  Labels: 8P0-820-043.lbl
  Part No SW: 8U0 820 043 B  HW: 8U0 820 043 B
  Component: E87  Klimavoll  0050
  Revision: 00H03000  Serial number: 8U0820043B 
  Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
  VCID: 306B680EA3E37FA1DFB-8065

No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Climate2

IMG 56891

IMG 6884

Reactions: Marcesko, spencer361, Jakub and 1 other person
043 C is for cars with heated seats but it has buttons instead of a ring. and it's from 1-3 while a3 has 1-6...

I must get a nighttime pic against the white dash clocks :)

Have you got any pictures, with the rest of the dash board in, does it look good with rest of the lighting/displays.

Nice retro fit by the way.

Cheers Dan

Reactions: spencer361, ruairi83, doctor46goat and 2 others
Did this a while back, its much better! I mainly did it for the heated seat buttons as the 6 stage rolling switches were winding me up! Who needs 6 stages anyway?! I only ever used 6, 3 and off. The Q3's 3 stage push buttons are much nicer to use and look far more modern :).

I trimmed the edges with a belt sander, sounds a bit drastic, but it really wasn't bad at all. Approx 3mm total needs to be shaved off each side. Fits perfectly and looks OE :).
WP_20150122_18_34_51_Pro by Tom Kinsman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: RS3dan
Did this a while back, its much better! I mainly did it for the heated seat buttons as the 6 stage rolling switches were winding me up! Who needs 6 stages anyway?! I only ever used 6, 3 and off. The Q3's 3 stage push buttons are much nicer to use and look far more modern :).

I trimmed the edges with a belt sander, sounds a bit drastic, but it really wasn't bad at all. Approx 3mm total needs to be shaved off each side. Fits perfectly and looks OE :).
WP_20150122_18_34_51_Pro by Tom Kinsman, on Flickr

Whats that mounted on the passenger side of the centre console?

Good job there looks much better, I take it the buttons for the heated seats work spot on, really thinking of doing this mod! But don't want the seats only working at half power lol.

Cheers Dan

Yeah, they work great, definitely working at full power. One press gets you full power, as opposed to putting your hand in an awkward sideways position and moving a roller from 0 all the way to 6, far more user friendly! ;).

Reactions: dandav1985
LOVE the look of this! Well done dude! If I wasn't likely giving my S3 back next spring, I'd be all over this!

That's mint. Where to pick up the display model part (8U0 820 043 B) though?

Got it on ebay.de - comes as a complete unit.

Reactions: D3mon
Is the bit that needs trimming hidden?

You need to trim the sides of the unit just so. It looks like factory fit ie the one the car came with as long as you don't balls it up.

The face needs trimming. I just used a belt sander on the edge to remove ~3mm from each side, maintaining the stock curve. Its easier than it sounds, just remove the stock unit so you can sand a bit and compare until its right.

Is my favourite mod so far :)

WP_20150211_16_03_18_Pro__highres by Tom Kinsman, on Flickr

WP_20150210_17_24_51_Pro by Tom Kinsman, on Flickr

The display changes brightness with light sensor, pretty sure its OLED, sure looks it.

As above, it doesn't need alot of trimming, just take your time.

IMG 7363
IMG 7362
IMG 7361
IMG 7360
IMG 7359
IMG 7358

Reactions: Ceylon
Nice pics :).

Also worth mentioning, if you fit the heated seats version you'll need to use VCDS to change one setting. The target temp for level three on the Q3 is 65 degrees, this is too hot for the A3 and causes it to automatically drop to level two (43 degrees, quite a jump!). To fix this, with VCDS open the HVAC controller, click adaption, change the value of channel 26 from 65 to 55. This will set the target temp to 55 degrees for seat heating level three.

This feels about right and doesn't cause any issues :).

Reactions: CoolAsIce and Darren92
Hi guys,

I also done this mod but instead of trimming it down I took it apart and swapped over the circuit boards into my standard unit for a perfect fit. I understand if you have heated seats this isn't possible but if you haven't then it's perfect! I got mine for £60 from Chester, a company called car transplants strips Q3's for fun! They will also post it to you for about £10 if you cannot collect it

Reactions: mister.c. and Arkious
Whats the best way to remove the switch trim above the climate unit without snapping anything? Dont say remove radio as mine is stuck - next on my to do list ...

Use a trim removal tool to prise it out from the sides. On MY2009 cars at least the cover for the hazard switch will come off too.

Reactions: downtothebone
Hi guys,

I also done this mod but instead of trimming it down I took it apart and swapped over the circuit boards into my standard unit for a perfect fit. I understand if you have heated seats this isn't possible but if you haven't then it's perfect! I got mine for £60 from Chester, a company called car transplants strips Q3's for fun! They will also post it to you for about £10 if you cannot collect it

Cheers, got one off them for £90 delivered which is cheaper than anywhere else i could find.

I tried the company above but they wont answer my emails. Maybe because I'm in Australia?
Any one help?

I tried the company above but they wont answer my emails. Maybe because I'm in Australia?
Any one help?

Maybe try calling them?

Also, just realised a few buttons are different on the Q3 version. For example, the button on the A3 that allows air circulation is replaced with an Off button. Those that have moved the board over, I guess moved the buttons too?

Glad I could help mate, I'm not sure what you mean about the off button? Mine was exactly the same buttons as the standard a3 one?

^^ not sure which buttons are different as you can see the comparisons in my original pics in post #1.

Buttons were the same on mine as well apart from the added words Front and Rear on the demisters.

Reactions: Darren92
Use a trim removal tool to prise it out from the sides. On MY2009 cars at least the cover for the hazard switch will come off too.

On my 2011 car the whole thing popped as one ... bought a set of tools from Amazon which worked perfectly. Prised it off from the bottom edge on either side.