Q3 Climate Control 8P Retrofit

TheMightyBK

Working on my A3 2007 Prerestyling unit
Man, you've got all the mods I dream about having! Looks fantastic, MarioAmazin! I have a 2008 US model (pre-faclift) 3.2...will that RSQ3 unit work 100% in my car? Also, your steering wheel, what buttons work and don't work? I'd love to have a new FBSW with round airbag, but I've read it's not fully functional??

mantazzz

So I read in a lot of places that if you put facelift hvac unit in early 8p model, it wont work. Today I tested fl hvac (from 2010 model) on my 2004-12 model and ac works as it should... Did someone try it and it did not work, or why everyone say it does not work?

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
If you have a
So I read in a lot of places that if you put facelift hvac unit in early 8p model, it wont work. Today I tested fl hvac (from 2010 model) on my 2004-12 model and ac works as it should... Did someone try it and it did not work, or why everyone say it does not work?

Which year is your car, it will present as working but it isn't fully due to change in motors & a plastic cam system in place of a motor, so once you change the direction of air it will show the issue.

It doesn't work on older cars, I can guarantee that as I researched every single part & wiring at the time.

To work on facelift units, parts need changing, so dash out job.

mantazzz

If you have a

Which year is your car, it will present as working but it isn't fully due to change in motors & a plastic cam system in place of a motor, so once you change the direction of air it will show the issue.

It doesn't work on older cars, I can guarantee that as I researched every single part & wiring at the time.

To work on facelift units, parts need changing, so dash out job.
As I commented, It is 2004/12 model. I tested it with ac on on low with recirculation on and it blows cold air. What should not work exactly?

NHN

Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
So it's a Dec 04.

Test it all & you'll understand.

The 2 motors controlled the main fan flaps behind the glovebox between recirc internal air & external air, on your car there are 2 motors that control each flap front & rear, on newer cars, 1 motor is removed, no wiring to control that motor is there's this is replaced with a plastic cam system controlled by the motor fitted, now as you don't have the cam system & the facelift climate unit doesnt have the 2nd motor wiring or control, so therefore your motor, flap doesn't move back forth with the newer unit.

Only way to use the complete climate unit is to upgrade the heater unit with parts to cater for the changes.

I'm doing this at some point to a few cars.

mantazzz

So it's a Dec 04.

Test it all & you'll understand.

The 2 motors controlled the main fan flaps behind the glovebox between recirc internal air & external air, on your car there are 2 motors that control each flap front & rear, on newer cars, 1 motor is removed, no wiring to control that motor is there's this is replaced with a plastic cam system controlled by the motor fitted, now as you don't have the cam system & the facelift climate unit doesnt have the 2nd motor wiring or control, so therefore your motor, flap doesn't move back forth with the newer unit.

Only way to use the complete climate unit is to upgrade the heater unit with parts to cater for the changes.

I'm doing this at some point to a few cars.
So Today I had a bit more time and tested it a bit more. As I said last time, it blows cold air fine but I don't know how it blew last time with recirculation on, this time if i turn on recirculation, no air comes to the cabin, it seems that if you turn on heat it does not blow as strong as when it is turned to low temperature. I will have to look for older slim hvac, hopefully the will exchange for facelift one.
In summary, I have to retract my statement that it works good, and you all were correct.

NHN

Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Every day's a school day for us all bud.