Q2 Q2 - Heads Up Display Retrofit

Callum Jarvis

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals,

I've owned my S-Line Q2 for a while now and from having a look into Vorsprung models due to another thread, I noticed they also have Heads up display. Just out of pure curiosity, would this be something that could be retrofitted, has anyone done this? It would of course require the top of the dash to be cut, wiring and a new light control unit but due to it being a self contained unit it wouldn't require a new windscreen. The units and dash trim can be found online for a few hundred ££, it all just depends if the labour is worth it. I have the VC in my car so I'm not exactly dying for it, but if its something that can be done I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of doing it one day...I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig...hint hint @DJAlix...obvs don't want a hole in my dash for no reason haha.

Hi Guys & Gals,

I've owned my S-Line Q2 for a while now and from having a look into Vorsprung models due to another thread, I noticed they also have Heads up display. Just out of pure curiosity, would this be something that could be retrofitted, has anyone done this? It would of course require the top of the dash to be cut, wiring and a new light control unit but due to it being a self contained unit it wouldn't require a new windscreen. The units and dash trim can be found online for a few hundred ££, it all just depends if the labour is worth it. I have the VC in my car so I'm not exactly dying for it, but if its something that can be done I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of doing it one day...I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig...hint hint @DJAlix...obvs don't want a hole in my dash for no reason haha.
Would be a project and a first for me as most would not look at doing this retrofit. Happy to help if I can.

Would be a project and a first for me as most would not look at doing this retrofit. Happy to help if I can.

Hey Sounds good to me, maybe something we could do when you're back...alongside the *** upgrade. It would be interesting to see how its wired through the wiring diagrams.

Hey Sounds good to me, maybe something we could do when you're back...alongside the *** upgrade. It would be interesting to see how its wired through the wiring diagrams.
Have availability from 2nd week of September.

Reactions: WIll Savage
Reactions: WIll Savage
ooo when i see things like this it becomes so tempting to just start collecting bits so Djalix can do it all in one go!
ha i know the feeling - think the HUD may be a stretch to far for me, but if @Callum Jarvis works i may follow suit later down the line
(first thinkgs is HBA and traffic sign recog!)

Reactions: Ormesome
ha i know the feeling - think the HUD may be a stretch to far for me, but if @Callum Jarvis works i may follow suit later down the line
(first thinkgs is HBA and traffic sign recog!)

I would be interested in the HUD. If its as simple as getting those parts, wiring and then giving it to someone to do then i would do it. Guess maybe 100 to fit it, 300 to buy parts, so just have to justify 400!

audi have just dropped the pricing of the sq2 and q2 of the configurator front page - i wonder if that is a clue to the new model being released!

@Callum Jarvis @Ormesome @DJAlix
this may be helpful
https://vwgpaintandbody.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Audi-Q2.pdf

it seems that pre sense (which mine will have) doesnt need the camera r242 - which if its the case i wont be able to turn on high beam or traffic which will be a shame - and seems installing this camera may be a nightmare!

BUT good news- shows you how the HUD works

Thanks for this! An interesting PDF. Its crazy to see in some markets it comes with a 5.8" screen.

Thanks for this! An interesting PDF. Its crazy to see in some markets it comes with a 5.8" screen.

The lower models had a smaller central MMI screen, all markets had it I think. Btw, is that your Q2 in your profile pic? I have the same. 1st edition :sign yum:

@Callum Jarvis @Ormesome @DJAlix
this may be helpful
https://vwgpaintandbody.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Audi-Q2.pdf

it seems that pre sense (which mine will have) doesnt need the camera r242 - which if its the case i wont be able to turn on high beam or traffic which will be a shame - and seems installing this camera may be a nightmare!

BUT good news- shows you how the HUD works

hmm the pdf still states that it might have the camera. I’m still hopeful, need to go shine a light on that small triangle I the centre of the windscreen!

I think a facelift is coming in 2021.
By time it’s out my TT pcp will be over so will have to stick to what I’m ordering. Annoyed that I can’t get the vorsprung model!
it seems if I don’t have that camera it’s just not with fitting which for the price of car it is I’m disappointed!

hmm the pdf still states that it might have the camera. I’m still hopeful, need to go shine a light on that small triangle I the centre of the windscreen!
I’m hoping for you. You can always check the PR codes in the service book. Will be quotes at qk1 I believe

The lower models had a smaller central MMI screen, all markets had it I think. Btw, is that your Q2 in your profile pic? I have the same. 1st edition :sign yum:

In the UK 7" display is standard although the bigger 8.3" comes part of the tech pack....just interesting to see that in some markets they come even smaller.

In the UK 7" display is standard although the bigger 8.3" comes part of the tech pack....just interesting to see that in some markets they come even smaller.
You think that’s bad...

1B5BCC40 D374 4072 8538 671046E4AB3C

is that even real - or has someone had fun with a glue gun

Audi’s are so weird! It’s got heated seats, climate control, aircon, but a stero that belongs in a 90s fiesta! That MMI aside, I don’t get Audi options, it’s never linear like other models!

is that even real - or has someone had fun with a glue gun
It’s real. Not all markets are the same and some have massive tax on optional extras. I believe turkey is 100% once the value of the car is to a threshold, so an MMI upgrade that costs £1000 is actually £2000 as a result. This is why these is such a massive retrofit market in eastern EU and why I am so busy over here at the moment :) People buy poverty spec cars and then retrofit in order to keep overall costs down. Never thought I would see a Q8 without a virtual cockpit but have seen two today alone lol

It’s real. Not all markets are the same and some have massive tax on optional extras. I believe turkey is 100% once the value of the car is to a threshold, so an MMI upgrade that costs £1000 is actually £2000 as a result. This is why these is such a massive retrofit market in eastern EU and why I am so busy over here at the moment :) People buy poverty spec cars and then retrofit in order to keep overall costs down. Never thought I would see a Q8 without a virtual cockpit but have seen two today alone lol

wow!
just to give you all an update, my audi dealer contacted me earlier, in the port there is currently a vorsprung sq2 in black, cancelled order and did i want it, same price as my sq2 that was being ordered - snapped there hand off

only thing missing is folding wing mirrors - how easy to retrofit those?

wow!
just to give you all an update, my audi dealer contacted me earlier, in the port there is currently a vorsprung sq2 in black, cancelled order and did i want it, same price as my sq2 that was being ordered - snapped there hand off

only thing missing is folding wing mirrors - how easy to retrofit those?
Not a big job physically but then I do this for a living. Might be a big job for the pocket tho as it’s not the most cost effective retrofit.

Not a big job physically but then I do this for a living. Might be a big job for the pocket tho as it’s not the most cost effective retrofit.

feel free to DM me a cost please

also @Callum Jarvis if you are still looking at head up disply - the new car will have it so happy to give you a scan to see what may need to be turned on

feel free to DM me a cost please

also @Callum Jarvis if you are still looking at head up disply - the new car will have it so happy to give you a scan to see what may need to be turned on

That’s amazing! Guess it worked out in the end! Yeah that would be fantastic. U guess the hardest part will be to try and source a RHD version of the HUD as I assume the LFD ones will be inverted or at least the dash trim.

so it seems the top of the binacle is slighty different on the HUD, whether a standard one has a slight cut and then a compelte top, and then its replaced with one with a hole or if you havent got one the top is all one peiece - i dont know
the part numbers are all in the ebay post, there will be some coding to do as its on the MMI for brightness and what to display
here are some pics and that ebay link (that had the top of the dasboard that is needed)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Q2-...692343&hash=item3b22084154:g:SOsAAOSw22lb5rsq
HUD1 Hud2 Hud3 Hud4

so it seems the top of the binacle is slighty different on the HUD, whether a standard one has a slight cut and then a compelte top, and then its replaced with one with a hole or if you havent got one the top is all one peiece - i dont know
the part numbers are all in the ebay post, there will be some coding to do as its on the MMI for brightness and what to display
here are some pics and that ebay link (that had the top of the dasboard that is needed)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Q2-...692343&hash=item3b22084154:g:SOsAAOSw22lb5rsq
View attachment 208972 View attachment 208973 View attachment 208974 View attachment 208975

Thanks for this mate, its super helpful. I don't see too many RHD Q2 head-up displays, this will deffo be an ongoing project. :)

It’s been great so far. Displays traffic signs, directions if nav on and speed limit!
Very seamless. Maybe gimicky but who doesn’t love a gadget

@Callum Jarvis
created a little list of what is needed again for HUD from what i think
here is the trim drawings
it shows you need :
the binnacle - 81C857161 (this will need to be RHD version which this code is)
the HUD rotating cover - 5NA858763B
a clip - 8V0867947
a bolt - 90910102

the unit itself - 81A919617 (shown on drawing here)
and bolt N 90944604
and washer N91056601

and the switch - 8V0941531 (drawing)

there will no doubt be coding, and some wiring looms that hopefully are there - but could be a nice project
a lot of these come up on ebay (be careful on the binnacle trim that should pop off on your and be replaced as there is LHDand RHD versions and ebay is mostly LHD versions) they can all be found on https://www.oemvwshop.com/ too